• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Studio 4°C Animates Fight Sequence in Episode of The Amazing World of Gumball TV Series

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 6:11 am Reply with quote
Yeah Gumball is literally the only show on CN that I laugh my ass off every single episode it's just that good because with Gumball it's WTF all the way! Laughing
Xavon

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:58 am Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
I was looking forward to this episode all week after seeing the clips and I was hoping ANN would have something on it. So it wasn't the US animators... but loved it complete with visual Dragonball and sly Naruto and Karate Kid references (did you catch it?). Almost every anime cliche' in the book (even fan service!) but that's what made it so funny.

"What school trained you you? Was it Hokuto, was it Konoha? Or was it Miyagi?"

Hokuto probably meaning Hokuto no Ken from Fist of the North Star. Konoha being the ninja village of Naruto Uzumaki. Miyagi being the teacher from the original Karate Kid movie series.

For anyone who did not get it...
frubam

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:24 am Reply with quote
Can't mention "Gumball" and "animation" in the same paragraph without mentioning Mike Inel =03

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZ10lwZYtM0
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:41 am Reply with quote
Oooohhhhhh Xavon got iiittttt..... Very Happy Thank You Thank You Thank You frubam for that link, Hilarious!!

As for the gentleman below (who posted whilst I was composing) I was once a detractor too because the main art style and plot gave the impression that the show was very juvenile, but if you listen to the dialog, there is a tremendous amount of witty commentary, references, etc. just flying by and much of it quite intelligent and pointedly adult so dumb it is not! There is much sophisticated parody too and a plethora of art styles and animation techniques that belie an amazing amount of talent and effort. See "The Sweaters" for a parody of Prince of Tennis with a '70's HannaBarbera art style. Of course, there are "better" episodes than this one to get a flavor of what I am talking about like "The Void" (see http://theamazingworldofgumball.wikia.com/wiki/The_Void ). I also happen to be a fan of Steven Universe, which seemed to me to be really dumb and disconcerting in that it seemed intent on portraying that stupidity and lack of work ethic were normative virtues, until the show started developing it's continuing story line about the Crystal Gem War.

Last edited by Hiroki not Takuya on Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:12 pm; edited 7 times in total
Alessa_SH1

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:53 am Reply with quote
Gumball is dumb, newest eps try to hard to get laugh, sometimes is so exaggerated! i prefer immersive stories like the ones in Finn and Jake or Steven U.
I guess if you're a kid nothing of that really matters, u just go for shiny colors and physical comedy Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Francesco Vitiello

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:54 pm Reply with quote
The Amazing World of DragonBall Laughing
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:48 pm Reply with quote
I'd like to get into Gumball, but I'm way behind on Adventure Time (2/3 through Season 3) and Steven Universe (up to episode 30, like right after the two-parter where they meet spoiler[Lapis]) so I need to focus on certain cartoons at a time. But one of these days I'll get to it.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 2:23 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Lord Oink wrote:
It's 2016 and anime parodies in cartoons are still poorly accented dubbing with kung-fu stuff?
That certainly did not feel natural at all, they could of asked someone who does dubbing for Anime, and asked them to do a similar voice they would do in a by the numbers battle Shonen.

I never understood why anime parodies do that. Most dubs are heavily localized and sound too American, with slang and pop culture references sprinkled in them.

-Stuart Smith
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 3:00 pm Reply with quote
It's nice to see an anime-style segment in a Western show that's actually animated by an anime studio.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 5:24 pm Reply with quote
When they were showing previews for this episode last week, I was really anxious to see this. At first, I was actually wondering if Mike Inel was the one to help with animating the scene (I had watched and really enjoyed his "What If" video, which was already linked) and was really happy and surprised to see that it was actually done by an anime studio.

There was another moment in the episode - although with no official clip - that detailed Yuki and Nicole's past which was a direct reference to Goku and Krillin's training and battles in the World's Martial Arts Tournaments from Dragon Ball. It'd be nice if CN posted that on their YouTube page as well, but at least having the anime moment was cool enough. ^^
Heishi

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 5:29 pm Reply with quote
And people said CN didn't give a crap about anime anymore...
(Other than Pokemon)
Covnam

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:27 pm Reply with quote
Glad this got put up as I saw bits of it in the commercials, but wouldn't have been able to catch it. I haven't seen much of this show (just a few eps), but they've been pretty entertaining. This clip just continues the trend =)
Guus van Voorst

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:31 am Reply with quote
Yes, I like the design of the characters a lot... but I feel they should've focused more on the character's fighting choreography and less on the explosions and energy beams (things they usually use to mask lack of animation in scenes, as shown in Dragonball Super)...
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:23 am Reply with quote
Guus van Voorst wrote:
Yes, I like the design of the characters a lot... but I feel they should've focused more on the character's fighting choreography and less on the explosions and energy beams (things they usually use to mask lack of animation in scenes, as shown in Dragonball Super)...

Explosions and energy beams are what a non-viewer associates with anime, however. Fast-paced fight choreography seems to confuse people. (And, reading reviews of Digimon: The Movie, some reviewers were a bit frightened by it.)

Gumball also has to adhere to whatever Cartoon Network's S&P rules are. I know one long-standing rule in American children's entertainment is that heroes cannot be shown getting hit by a body attack such as kicks or punches (hence the hit-flash, which is a loophole), and if it's still in effect now, then it's easier to just write in explosions and beam spam because they're not body attacks. The idea is that these attacks are imitatable behavior and is thus unacceptable, whereas generation of ki blasts is not and is A-OK.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:10 am Reply with quote
Leave things to 4°C to make things better. They get a lot of work doing small projects. The do some great big projects too. But it seems they shine more doing smaller projects here and there.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3