• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Guardians of the Galaxy, Gravity Falls Writers in Talks for Live-Action Pokémon Film

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cain Highwind

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:10 am Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
Emma Iveli wrote:
It's not slang... it's a play on drug trafficking.

I see. I was trying to find some kind of dog fighting component to it, since telling someone to transport a basket of dogs doesn't cliick with drugs in my mind. It comes off like a random joke. If they wanted to do a drug trafficking plot they should have used like a magic spell or potion to get around the censors. I still don't see how 'children's cartoon' is inaccurate here though, I have seen the show and it's nothing that stands out, which is why I was worrisome in the first place. The humor level in Detective Pikachu is very minimal, and not the kind of humor you find in kids shows.

You directly compared the show to Hannah Montana and were called out for it. Now you're desperately backtracking and saying you've seen the show. Uh-huh sure Rolling Eyes It's fine to be mistaken once in a while.

Quote:
The Marvel movie universe says most superheroes are just too silly or unrealistic to be in movies as is so they have to be changed. Are those the people you trust to be in charge of a Pokemon movie who will look at it and say a bunch of Pokemon are too silly and unrealistic? The Chipmunks comparison is because that movie tried to make them realistic pint-sized Chipmunks as well.

-Stuart Smith

I'm really baffled here. First of all "those people" who make the Marvel movies aren't making the film. Again with the completely inaccurate generalizations. You really should work on that. Secondly, Marvel movies are "grounded" so that they can appeal to more people which is the key to their major success. They're not ashamed, they're going about it the intelligent way. Honestly aside from maybe the costuming, the Marvel movies fully embrace their comic book history. I think it's DC/WB that seem ashamed of their material being too silly and needing to be changed. Thirdly, I DO think you're on to something with the Chipmunks comparison. How would YOU go about it? And please don't say "I wouldn't try and make this movie at all" because that's no fun.
Emma Iveli

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:27 pm Reply with quote
You know what Stuart Smith, I just realized something... either you are A. Have no idea what you are talking about or B. A troll.
I'm not just talking about your comments about Gravity Falls... but rather this comment as well...

Stuart Smith wrote:

The Marvel movie universe says most superheroes are just too silly or unrealistic to be in movies as is so they have to be changed. Are those the people you trust to be in charge of a Pokemon movie who will look at it and say a bunch of Pokemon are too silly and unrealistic? The Chipmunks comparison is because that movie tried to make them realistic pint-sized Chipmunks as well.

Now... this wouldn't be so bad... if the movie in question wasn't about a team that has a talking raccoon with a machine gun and a talking tree that could only say "I am Groot".

Also the movie had spoiler[Howard the Duck after the end credits...]

Look I could be wrong about you being a troll or not knowing what you're talking about... but everything you've said so far points to either.
wonderwomanhero

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:40 pm Reply with quote
I found Guardians of the Galaxy to be one of the most overrated films. I am surprised it has so much critical acclaim. It felt like there was too much going on, and James Gunn having Gamora be called a "whore" about twenty times was just not cool. The only positive things I can say I liked were Star Lord's backstory with his mom, Glenn Close, and the soundtrack.

That being said, I wish that it wasn't Pikachu. A different Pokemon would have been better.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:58 pm Reply with quote
wonderwomanhero wrote:
That being said, I wish that it wasn't Pikachu. A different Pokemon would have been better.

A Pokémon detective film starring Gumshoos would be a thrilling concept...
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:43 am Reply with quote
wonderwomanhero wrote:

Pikachu is by far the most recognizable Pokémon though, and for better or worse, linked directly with the franchise. I think part of the premise is also based on how ridiculous it feels to have a Pikachu with a deep voice.
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 5:10 am Reply with quote
I never saw GOTG, but Marvel movies have complete disregard for the source material overall. Not a good sign for an adaption.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:09 pm Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:
I never saw GOTG, but Marvel movies have complete disregard for the source material overall. Not a good sign for an adaption.

I don't see why being unfaithful to the source material necessarily leads to a bad finished product.
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 7:03 pm Reply with quote
It always leads to a bad adaption, though. It's wether you want to target fans of the source material or the casual mainstream geek market. Marvel movies do the latter, anime does the former. From what I've been told the Civil War movie wasn't even about superhero registration. Detective Pikachu could be a Disneyfied family comedy for all we know
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 2:11 am Reply with quote
I hope it flops, considering the box office bombs or developmental limbo these movies have gone through. So far, the only big hit was the "Transformers" series. "Tiger and Bunny" could also do well.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 4:49 am Reply with quote
Cain Highwind wrote:
You directly compared the show to Hannah Montana and were called out for it. Now you're desperately backtracking and saying you've seen the show. Uh-huh sure Rolling Eyes It's fine to be mistaken once in a while.

I don't see how saying I've seen the show after being told I should watch it is backtracking. And while I'm not going to sit here and defend Hannah Montana, it's not as if that show didn't have 'serious moments' either. I'd argue it did them better just by virtue of not having leprechauns and other wacky stuff in it and was just a normal sitcom.

Quote:
I'm really baffled here. First of all "those people" who make the Marvel movies aren't making the film. Again with the completely inaccurate generalizations. You really should work on that. Secondly, Marvel movies are "grounded" so that they can appeal to more people which is the key to their major success. They're not ashamed, they're going about it the intelligent way. Honestly aside from maybe the costuming, the Marvel movies fully embrace their comic book history. I think it's DC/WB that seem ashamed of their material being too silly and needing to be changed. Thirdly, I DO think you're on to something with the Chipmunks comparison. How would YOU go about it? And please don't say "I wouldn't try and make this movie at all" because that's no fun.

I'm speaking as someone who grew up with comic books, and worked in a comic book shop during their teenage years, and the Marvel movies I saw did not embody or embrace their history much, but rewrote it, and yes DC does this as well. I also speak as someone who's been following the Pocket Monster anime series for two decades now. My statement was they shouldn't be grounded in the first place, and that was my fear for this movie. As for how I would make this movie, the obvious answer is to just simply follow the game as is, and preferably waiting for the second game to come out so there's no cliffhanger.

-Stuart Smith
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
I don't see how saying I've seen the show after being told I should watch it is backtracking. And while I'm not going to sit here and defend Hannah Montana, it's not as if that show didn't have 'serious moments' either. I'd argue it did them better just by virtue of not having leprechauns and other wacky stuff in it and was just a normal sitcom.

-Stuart Smith

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure can do serious moments pretty well too while having time-stopping vampires, explosive oranges, Aztec male strippers, and sniping rats. Hunter X Hunter can also do serious moments pretty well while having a pedophilic clown, bubble-spitting zebras, weaponized bank interest, and characters who look like Addams Family members. Both series also has a killer who resembles David Bowie. Cowboy Bebop can do serious moments pretty well, and it has a villain who did nothing but sit and play chess all day, a child hacker who (seemingly) thinks in non sequiturs, and one episode is about looking for a Beta cassette player. One Piece can do serious moments pretty well, and it is considered one of the weirdest and most bonkers popular series from Japan right now.

The point is that a surreal and/or absurd setting or premise is not a factor to how well a story's dramatic moments can be.

That being said, if you prefer shows with dramatic moments that are strictly grounded with no fantastic elements and that you only like shows with fantastic elements if they are comedies, that's absolutely fine. It doesn't sound like a set of preferences anybody I've met actually has though.
HyperGatack

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:40 am Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:
It always leads to a bad adaption, though. It's wether you want to target fans of the source material or the casual mainstream geek market. Marvel movies do the latter, anime does the former. From what I've been told the Civil War movie wasn't even about superhero registration. Detective Pikachu could be a Disneyfied family comedy for all we know

Civil war might not have been about registration per se , but the main theme of Super hero accountability was left intact, and frankly, fleshed out ALOT better than the comic book series, with both sides making VERY valid points, rather than the comics lopsided handling of the whole situation.

And again, Modern Disney is A LOT edgier than people give em credit for. Not that light and fluffy is a bad thing, but you still get a lot of lines like "Oh look theres you friend. Lets watch her DIE together, shall we?" and "Now if you'll excuse me, I got some kids I need to make into corpses."
its part of the reason I'm cautiously optimistic about these two. GoTG and Gravity Falls had a really good feel for when to joke, and when to be serious, and for a Live action movie starring a talking Pikachu? Yeah. Thats going to be needed.

Also Danny DeVito, or Patrick Stewart. Try and tell me they wouldn't be the best, like no one ever was for Detective Pikachu?
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:36 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:

That being said, if you prefer shows with dramatic moments that are strictly grounded with no fantastic elements and that you only like shows with fantastic elements if they are comedies, that's absolutely fine. It doesn't sound like a set of preferences anybody I've met actually has though.

JoJo's is great, but I don't think comparing cartoons to anime is very fair. They do thing's different, and a wacky anime isn't held back due to standards and practices like cartoons are. Like any drug plot would actually use drugs like in Detective Conan, or a hidden sex joke would be forward and do something with sex and not beat around the bush. Those live-action sitcoms generally have more lenient standards though, and can get away with talking about breasts or drinking alcohol a cartoon on the same network could not, so goofy comedy isnt used as a crutch.

-Stuart Smith
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:12 pm Reply with quote
As far as the Disney Channel goes, I assure you that the live-action sitcoms there are held to much stricter rules than the animation. If any of them could get away with, say, attaching to a character a tracking device as is used by sex offenders the way Gravity Falls does, those live-action sitcoms wouldn't be getting so much smack as they currently are.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4