• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Previews Dubs for Escaflowne TV Series, Film in Videos

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wonderwomanhero

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:37 pm Reply with quote
I don't quite get why they have to split the series in two instead of releasing it all at once. I will miss hearing my Kirby.....

What is the price?
Top Gun

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Still not sold on the new dubbing effort (or even the basic need for such), but goddamn if hearing Kanno's score doesn't send chills all the way down my spine.
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:20 pm Reply with quote
wonderwomanhero wrote:
I don't quite get why they have to split the series in two instead of releasing it all at once. I will miss hearing my Kirby.....

What is the price?

There' a very big Collector's Edtion with the entire series and the movie, it's currently $134.99 Blu-Ray only.
http://shop.funimation.com/The-Complete-Series-Movie-Collectors-Edition
Raebo101

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
...goddamn if hearing Kanno's score doesn't send chills all the way down my spine.

SERIOUSLY. I've got to know the name of the track that plays in the first trailer, or I won't be able to sleep tonight! Shocked
CandisWhite

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:59 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
Still not sold on the new dubbing effort (or even the basic need for such), but goddamn if hearing Kanno's score doesn't send chills all the way down my spine.

I know; I feel that Funimation is aiming this release at a mix of people who only caught the Fox cut of the original dub (missing the YTV edited airing and the DVD unedited one), people who want it in HD, people who want the director's cut, and those who just plain weren't around for the first time.

I won't be picking up this release, as I am completely satisfied with my Bandai DVDs, but am actually impressed with how much I did enjoy the sample of the Funi dub (except for Van; was not a fan of Van's new voice); If this was my first ride on the Escaflowne merry-go-round, I'd be pretty happy with that.

I wish Funi the best of luck with their release, even if, to me, it's superfluous.

P.S. I've got those chills, too.
icomeanon6
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:15 pm Reply with quote
My experience with dub trailers is that the actual dub is always better than it sounds in the trailer. This was an okay-sounding trailer, so I'm actually expecting a really good dub. And the picture looks outstanding, can't wait to get this one in the mail!
Kosaka

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:23 pm Reply with quote
Raebo101 wrote:
Top Gun wrote:
...goddamn if hearing Kanno's score doesn't send chills all the way down my spine.

SERIOUSLY. I've got to know the name of the track that plays in the first trailer, or I won't be able to sleep tonight! Shocked

I'd like to know the name of that track also.

I was underwhelmed by the voice acting for Hitomi in the first trailer, but I really enjoyed both trailers.
kawaiirunner

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:05 pm Reply with quote
Really looking forward to finally watching this on Blu-ray! My forever favorite anime <3 The dub sounds promising. I'm sure the rest of the show will sound just fine.

Raebo101 wrote:

Its called "The Story of Escaflowne, End Title" I'm pretty sure its on iTunes. Smile
Theozilla

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:31 pm Reply with quote
Those trailers were awesome, love the voices they chose. Can't wait to see this series for the first time.
Raebo101

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:56 pm Reply with quote
aye_know_hah wrote:
Raebo101 wrote:

Its called "The Story of Escaflowne, End Title" I'm pretty sure its on iTunes. Smile

Thank you so much! Very Happy
levonr

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:57 pm Reply with quote
I like it when FUNimation in trailers use music from the actual show rather than their stock music. Maybe there's a legal reason behind it but to me its off-putting when they use their music. Especially when the music in the show is great(One Piece for example). Escaflowne trailers were done very well.

icomeanon4 wrote:
My experience with dub trailers is that the actual dub is always better than it sounds in the trailer.

I'm of the same mind about that.
Kosaka

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:24 am Reply with quote
aye_know_hah wrote:
Raebo101 wrote:

Thanks!
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:51 am Reply with quote
The new English dub sounded great not to mention that the animation looks fantastic. This makes me feel good that I supported the Funimation Kickstarter and that I also preordered the limited edition. Very Happy
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:14 am Reply with quote
For kicks and giggles, compare to the old Bandai trailer from the 90s: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vnP5Sxd49Y
levonr

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:17 am Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
For kicks and giggles, compare to the old Bandai trailer from the 90s: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vnP5Sxd49Y

It wouldn't be so terrible if it wasn't for that cheesy 90's narration. Laughing It sounds so dated. Bandai made some bad trailers back then.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3