• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Berserk

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Valhern

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:00 pm Reply with quote
traffiktiger wrote:
I was not trying to show how bad the animation is (I'm a fan of the art style & direction). I am impressed with how well they were following parts of the manga. I really like this episode & believe the show is hitting its stride. Also I mostly like the rest of the series but this episode is one of my favorites in anime this season.
Btw I thought Jacob was holding out to do a two episode review, but I'm glad he went ahead and posted it. It is a very good review. The only thing I would've graded the episode a little higher, maybe a B+ or A-.
Btw when I see the LIDEN FILMS logo, I immediately think of The Heroic Legend of Arslan, which like Berserk is a show that I like but also suffers from the inconsistent blending of 2-D & 3-D & basically its overall animation.

I don't exactly hate the CGI artstyle completely (though the 2D shots in this anime are much cooler looking), in fact, Serpico and Farnese's designs are the best of the bunch and I'd probably like to see Shicerke.

The only thing that irks me about it is present Guts. For some reason younger Guts in the flashbacks looks amazing (it's 2D, but it looks even better than 2D adult Guts) whereas present Guts feels...uncanny to me, like, really uncanny. Even that well-directed scene falls flat for me because I can't help but think about it. I think it was in Episode three or four in which we see his bare body and nothing of that body looked good to me; in comparison Farnese, Luca or other people shown naked look much smoother. When I mention the cape is because the cape feels so wonky and flat at all times that it's irritating. The whole idea of having a cape is that it must make you look cool, and in this anime it doesn't help at all.

Casca feels somewhat unnatural too in CGI, but hardly comparable to Guts.

Mohawk52 wrote:
Seems the only thing missing out of this developing misogynistic ecchi story is tenticles. Maybe in the next arc.Laughing

I think a side of the fanbase is much more misogynistic than Miura is, I'd say that Miura has taken questionable decisions in imagery and plotline, but I do not doubt that he has improved himself. And actually, in the horrid flashbacks we have of Casca, there actually are some sort of tentacles, maybe not as explicit.
traffiktiger

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:34 pm Reply with quote
Valhern wrote:
traffiktiger wrote:
I was not trying to show how bad the animation is (I'm a fan of the art style & direction). I am impressed with how well they were following parts of the manga. I really like this episode & believe the show is hitting its stride. Also I mostly like the rest of the series but this episode is one of my favorites in anime this season.
Btw I thought Jacob was holding out to do a two episode review, but I'm glad he went ahead and posted it. It is a very good review. The only thing I would've graded the episode a little higher, maybe a B+ or A-.
Btw when I see the LIDEN FILMS logo, I immediately think of The Heroic Legend of Arslan, which like Berserk is a show that I like but also suffers from the inconsistent blending of 2-D & 3-D & basically its overall animation.

I don't exactly hate the CGI artstyle completely (though the 2D shots in this anime are much cooler looking), in fact, Serpico and Farnese's designs are the best of the bunch and I'd probably like to see Shicerke.

The only thing that irks me about it is present Guts. For some reason younger Guts in the flashbacks looks amazing (it's 2D, but it looks even better than 2D adult Guts) whereas present Guts feels...uncanny to me, like, really uncanny. Even that well-directed scene falls flat for me because I can't help but think about it. I think it was in Episode three or four in which we see his bare body and nothing of that body looked good to me; in comparison Farnese, Luca or other people shown naked look much smoother. When I mention the cape is because the cape feels so wonky and flat at all times that it's irritating. The whole idea of having a cape is that it must make you look cool, and in this anime it doesn't help at all.
Casca feels somewhat unnatural too in CGI, but hardly comparable to Guts.

I agree that Guts' model looked off until about episode 3 then they started changing his model & now he is much more cel 2-D looking & closer to the manga. In fact they adjusted Casca's model a little also. Maybe they or listening to the criticism or they are just refining the character models. Also the reason characters from a medieval like setting have a cape/cloak was to conceal weapons, protect themselves from the weather, &/or was thought of as a status symbol, but I agree it's not quite as cool looking as in the manga.
ARC-1300

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:46 pm Reply with quote
it's nice to see that people are finally coming around to this show. Even if at this point it's too late. Laughing

though one thought kept creeping at the back of my head,will these last 5 episodes be enough to finish this in time??! I decided to re read the rest of the arc and there's a ton of exposition on the way. im sure the actions scenes will continue to be in a flash,like they have been doing them thus far. so either some serious cuts are on the way, or we're gonna have another infamous 97' berserk like ending to this series.
Souther

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:58 pm Reply with quote
ARC-1300 wrote:
though one thought kept creeping at the back of my head,will these last 5 episodes be enough to finish this in time??!

I've seen the episode title for the last episode on WOWOW, and they're gonna have to fit in like 5 chapters(manga episodes) just to finish it off, unless they do some of it in the 2nd-to-last ep. In general, I'm expecting some cuts/rushing in the following episodes.

EDIT: Actually, it's 7 chapters!
ARC-1300

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:37 pm Reply with quote
Souther wrote:
ARC-1300 wrote:
though one thought kept creeping at the back of my head,will these last 5 episodes be enough to finish this in time??!

I've seen the episode title for the last episode on WOWOW, and they're gonna have to fit in like 5 chapters(manga episodes) just to finish it off, unless they do some of it in the 2nd-to-last ep. In general, I'm expecting some cuts/rushing in the following episodes.

EDIT: Actually, it's 7 chapters!

Jesus! well,so far for the most part i have been enjoying the adaption quite a bit. And if this is to never get another adaptation,i want it to end off on a strong note.and i know just the scene they should end it on. But we'll see what they have in store for us
doubleO7

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:20 pm Reply with quote
Forgive me if I'm already forgetting details on the episode, but these lines in EP.7's review stood out to me.

Quote:
At the same time, the act of saving Casca from one horrible fate actually increases the likelihood of his original nightmare coming true, because Farnese's men might not have found the heretic camp and their newly adopted witch queen if they hadn't chased Guts there for killing their men in his blind rush!

When he tattles on the heretic cult to the Holy Knights, Farnese directs her forces to raid them not for any noble reasons, but out of a desire to bury her own closet skeletons by killing Guts, the only man who's seen the darkness in her heart and lived.

I'm not recalling any kind of connection between Guts and locating the heretic camp. Guts showed up in town, killed some knights, and Farnese heard the report. Then Joachim ratted out the heretics and the knights immediately headed for the heretics camp, seemingly putting the appearance of everybody's favorite Black Swordsman aside. I recall nothing to suggest Farnese expected him to be there, and she certainly wasn't following Guts, as he was the last one to show up, because he was still back in the refugee camp looking for Casca until Puck found him.
traffiktiger

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:55 pm Reply with quote
doubleO7 wrote:
Forgive me if I'm already forgetting details on the episode, but these lines in EP.7's review stood out to me.

Quote:
At the same time, the act of saving Casca from one horrible fate actually increases the likelihood of his original nightmare coming true, because Farnese's men might not have found the heretic camp and their newly adopted witch queen if they hadn't chased Guts there for killing their men in his blind rush!

When he tattles on the heretic cult to the Holy Knights, Farnese directs her forces to raid them not for any noble reasons, but out of a desire to bury her own closet skeletons by killing Guts, the only man who's seen the darkness in her heart and lived.

I'm not recalling any kind of connection between Guts and locating the heretic camp. Guts showed up in town, killed some knights, and Farnese heard the report. Then Joachim ratted out the heretics and the knights immediately headed for the heretics camp, seemingly putting the appearance of everybody's favorite Black Swordsman aside. I recall nothing to suggest Farnese expected him to be there, and she certainly wasn't following Guts, as he was the last one to show up, because he was still back in the refugee camp looking for Casca until Puck found him.

Good catch you're right. Farnese seemed nervous about Guts & she thought the heretics were a more pressing matter.
Fatt_One

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:18 am Reply with quote
I'm really enjoying this show, sure the animation has been weak(and quite horrendous at times) it's really picking up and even looked mostly decent this episode.
I still find myself wishing it was traditionally animated though, since those rare hand animated scenes usually look so much better.

this episode was like a 9/10 for me, the whole show so far is like a 7, I really hope it keeps improving even if there's only 5 episodes left.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Yeah yeah the material of Berserk shines through the 10 feet of feces piled on top, news at 11. Imagine how much better it could have been, and then weep.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:23 pm Reply with quote
I'd rather appreciate the light coming through the shit than cry about imaginary adaptations. If nothing else, this show has gotten me interested in the original anime and probably many others to the manga, what with all the criticism that people just read the manga. This adaptation has done more to promote the source than any public gnashing of teeth has. Would a better adaptation do a better job? Sure. But this is what we have.
wolf10

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:46 am Reply with quote
Have to say I am loving this pacing. I keep bracing myself for the credits to roll, but it just keeps going. One episode feels as long as two in the best possible way.

I think the simplest explanation for the jump in visual quality is that the production team knew better than to front-load the budget on the first few episodes. Even if the hand drawn stuff looks more natural, they're finding better angles for CG-face-closeups and are getting a lot better about playing up the strengths of the CG as much as possible. That over-the-sword-as-it-cleaves-through-the-crowd shot is still way cooler than anything a traditional production could have pulled off on a TV budget.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Another great episode! Really wishing there were more our so I could marathon through the end of this - weird 3D CGI Berserk is on a bona fide roll.
vision33r

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:35 pm Reply with quote
Stop complaining and enjoy it. 99% of animes today features skinny guys holding big swords or some psychic power allows to beat guys 3x their size. This anime is a welcome change. Very similar to some of Marvel's recent stuff. I love Guts devilish anguish art.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Nay! Critical enjoyment is better than lazy pleasure. I shan't shut up and enjoy it.
Souther

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:09 am Reply with quote
Jacob Chapman wrote:
Unlike Judeau though, Serpico can easily match skill with Guts in a fight (even though physics alone dictates that his wee foil shouldn't be much use against Guts's big-ass blade, no matter how good his technique is).

Though very skilled, Serpico can't match up to Guts and he said so during the fight. He's very smart though, which is why he fought him in a location where he had many advantages, and even tried to play on his concern for Casca and co., yet he still couldn't win. And the physics of Serpico's epee vs Guts's Dragon Slayer never came into play even if Berserk wanted to play that angle, because Guts had his swordsmanship completely sealed due to the environment.

Though Nina gets an incredible amount of hate, I really do feel sorry for her, though I had to laugh when the torturer admonished her for her cowardice.

EDIT: Yeah, more like rapier actually, as Xifeng said.

Last edited by Souther on Sun Aug 21, 2016 4:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 9 of 20