• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Licenses Sword of the Stranger Anime Film, Omamori Himari & Good Luck! Ninomiya

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vannil

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 12:22 am Reply with quote
the optimist in me says they got both of these titles in a deal to acquire Nichijou as I'm pretty sure Kadokowa owns the rights to Nichijou, but the realest in me says, it was probably just something to make a quick buck off of with sub only dvd release. Either way, I am glad Omamori Himari was licensed, i remember enjoying watching on crunchyroll and will probably watch it if funi gets and/ or does stream it.
7PhoenixAshes

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 12:27 am Reply with quote
Hurrah for Sword of the Stranger!
I picked up the DVD right as Bandai closed up shop over here, and it's been one of my biggest physical-media regrets that I hadn't shelled out a few bucks more for the Blu-Ray. I look forward to watching the gorgeous sword fights again in their full HD glory.

Oh, and I remember that licensing poll! I voted for "Uragiri wa Boku no Namae o Shitteiru" (Betrayal Knows My Name), a series which I loved to bits. It sadly no longer exists for legal anime-watchers - no company picked up the North American video rights, and Crunchyroll stopped streaming it ages ago. Maybe now I can hope it will become available again....
K-Anime

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 1:51 am Reply with quote
Cool, i enjoyed both Omamori Himari & Good Luck! Ninomiya, brings back memories. Read the manga of Omamori Himari. Also, both series just happen to be Harems, my favorite genre.
Zoneflare

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 2:36 am Reply with quote
two titles I've been wanting to own for years. wish they had a bluray release though.
Setsura1

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 2:37 am Reply with quote
Finally! Omamori Himari is getting an official release!
traffiktiger

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 2:43 am Reply with quote
7PhoenixAshes wrote:
Hurrah for Sword of the Stranger!
I picked up the DVD right as Bandai closed up shop over here, and it's been one of my biggest physical-media regrets that I hadn't shelled out a few bucks more for the Blu-Ray. I look forward to watching the gorgeous sword fights again in their full HD glory.

Same here about the Blu-ray which I wanted but I didn't pick it up before it went oop & I did not even get the DVD. Sad I'm so happy now that I can own it as soon as it's rereleased & maybe Rightstuf will even sent it to me a little bit before the release date. I can't wait! Very Happy
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 3:02 am Reply with quote
So, they didn't get the Bluray rights for Goshuushou-sama Ninomiya-kun and Omamori Himari?

Based on the comments from the rips available that were based on the Japanese Bluray releases of the two titles, while Ninomiya's release might have been only a slight improvement, that doesn't seem to be the case with Omamori Himari, as a news article from November 2011 on CR states;
Quote:
"Beginning on January 27th, Omamori Himari will be released in the "Omamori Hiimari Blu-ray Bi-MaiBi- Box" for 27000 yen. The blu-ray will use the home video version of the HD master that had been originally produced, but was never released since the series was only on DVD"
Dark Absol

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 6:37 am Reply with quote
As long as Goshuushou-sama Ninomiya-kun and Omamori Himari remains uncensored in the states-side, all is good. Bummer about not being on Blu-Ray, though.
RANGIT

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 6:59 am Reply with quote
Vannil wrote:
the optimist in me says they got both of these titles in a deal to acquire Nichijou as I'm pretty sure Kadokowa owns the rights to Nichijou, but the realest in me says, it was probably just something to make a quick buck off of with sub only dvd release.

While they already have the license to it, I'm thinking this decision for a physical release of an older Kadokawa Pictures title could also have something to do with the physical release of the Steins;Gate Movie.
HdE

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:24 am Reply with quote
Really pleased to hear Sword of the Stranger has been picked up, especially as I know a certain distributor in the UK think highly of the film and are likely to pick it up, seeing as they package Funimation titles for our market.

One thing: I REALLY hope this new release fixes an annoying issue with the subtitles. When watching the film in English, the last few moments of the film suddenly sprout subtitles which CANNOT be switched off. It's really aggravating, and takes away from the finale.
Ajc228

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:47 am Reply with quote
I hope Funimation adds something extra for their Sword of the Stranger release. Otherwise, I have no reason to double-dip.
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:58 am Reply with quote
Add my name to the list of "Yeah! Finally! for Omamori Himari and Good Luck! Ninomiya and the lack of blu-ray, but at least they're licensed!", responses.
encrypted12345

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:02 am Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
So, they didn't get the Bluray rights for Goshuushou-sama Ninomiya-kun and Omamori Himari?

I assume that Funimation thought those titles wouldn't be profitable enough for a bluray release, not that I blame them. Both are pretty old and obscure. Omamori Himari at least has an English release of the manga though. I only remember Ninomiya because it was one of the first anime I watched when I started becoming an otaku in middle school. It wasn't very good IMO.
aquadon1963

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:31 am Reply with quote
Well i would purchase both Omamori Himari and Good Luck! Ninomiya to help harem genre but only if Funi DUBS them ..... don't really see purchasing subs shows when i can watch elsewhere ..like FUNISTREAM .... Blu-ray would be even better ...maybe in another few years .....
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:40 am Reply with quote
Me: "Omamori Himari... wasn't this already licensed? No? Could have sworn it was... Really, are you sure? Cat girl and water snake girl, come on? No? Tea cup, come on, tea cup?"

Anime: Where shows that even when they're so singular, still tend to run together with other shows. Maybe I was thinking off Samurai Harem minus the spirits? Or the original manga itself... probably? After checking the opening.. yeah, I've never seen this before though I'm a fan of the manga.. just like Samurai Harem... which I never bothered with because there's no way 12 episodes could do the source material justice.

Oh. Oh yeah...

If this going to be sub only- not confirmed, only presumed for now- then why not just leave it to Diskotek or where this belongs, Sentai? Now, if the idea is that these shows were a package deal with Nichijou... then that would be something; It would also be the show I voted for on that poll all those years ago. Still wouldn't explain physical releases for these right out the gate while so many other shows they licensed are still not on the horizon.

Hey, if this is a good time for bringing shows out of the post DVD, pre streaming dead era, how about Stray Cats Overrun? It's a really divisive series but I personally love it; One of the few series that is 100% stunt direction than anything.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3