• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 4th Tenchi Muyo! Ryo Ohki OVA's Additional Cast, Staff Revealed

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:29 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Quote:
Noike

Well, that's everything I needed to know. Pass.

After that third OVA, Kajishima should have been run out of the business, never to work again. Kajishima became to Tenchi Muyo what Lucas became to Star Wars.

Still better than what JJ Abrams became to Star Wars? Or are we still stuck on the "doing the same crap all over again is good" theme? No, wait, that's the point of Universe, isn't it? To be all the good parts of a franchise rebooted with all the less savory parts left behind- plus Kiyone.

I could never see how she fit in the franchise/harem... unless she was Miyoshi's life partner and later Tenchi's by proxy- wait, polygamy was one of the things left out. So, for me, Noike over Kiyone as it's a lot easier to believe the Jurai royal family forced her into marriage-kind of their thing- rather than the GP with Kiyone.... or they just weren't willing to go to Earth to get her? Why were they marooned on Earth again? I know it's because it happened in the OVA but Ryoko isn't Ryoko in Universe so...

I just prefer to think Universe and Tokyo don't exist, even if I still have Universe on DVD. Why do I have that one again? It's been three years and I still haven't touched it...

I like the older looking Tenchi and actual promise of plot/life advancement... not so confident in a theme song called "Tenchi Muyo!"/"No need for Tenchi!" in time for the fourth season of the series with the same name.
Dextres

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:40 pm Reply with quote
AWESOME! TENCHI's BACK!!!!

THE ORGINAL LADYKILLER RETURNS
dark13

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:59 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Quote:
Noike

After that third OVA, Kajishima should have been run out of the business, never to work again. Kajishima became to Tenchi Muyo what Lucas became to Star Wars.
Really ? I always thought that title belonged to Tomino from the Gundam Franchise. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dN_L1KgD_c
Covnam

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:22 pm Reply with quote
The original two OVAs are some of my favorite series and probably one of my top (if not top) re-watched series.
I've seen the 3rd OVA once, maybe twice in comparison.
Hopefully this one is better, but at least the original will still stand up for me.
OncelostLu

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:50 pm Reply with quote
I assumed Noike would be in it but damn. Hopefully they limit her screen time or just have her go away in the first couple episodes.
jr240483

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:12 am Reply with quote
xXInfinite026Xx wrote:
Did they age up Tenchi as well? I know the character designs are in a more modernized style compared to the 90's look, but he still looks older now as opposed to his teenage look in just about every other anime version.

considering that he looks older, and the fact that Rea is there, its highly possible that there might be more info from the story plotholes that was left in war in geminar since that series never got into the detail on how kenchi even got there in the first place. though the $64 question is will this series be a direct sequel or a prequel to war in geminar. though the fact that kenchi isnt even on the cast but his parents are, kinda leans towards this OVA being a sequel.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
MrBonk

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 2:33 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Quote:
Noike

Yeah, ok pal. Whatever helps you sleep at night. Though I'm not one to talk because I feel the same way about Jar Jar Abrams, Disney and The Farce Awakens. Shit show travesty.
Post ROTJ Disney SW is about as exciting and interesting as watching paint dry.

Tenchi Muyo on the other hand, i'm excited. Never had a problem with the 3rd OVA.
Kalessin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 5:00 am Reply with quote
Woohoo! I'm totally excited about this. I know that some folks didn't like the 3rd OVA, but I for one am very glad to get more of this. Tench Muyo! has it flaws, but on the whole, I very much enjoy it, and more is a good thing. Now, if they'd just do more Geminar as well... Wink

The big question though, of course, is what's going to happen with this in the US market. It would be great if we could get the original cast back again, but considering that it's been over 20 years since the original and close to 10 since the last OVA - and that most of the voice actors that did Tenchi Muyo don't seem to have done much other anime over the years - I don't know how likely it is that they'll be able to get them all back again. And they did fail to get Petrea Burchard the last time around. Sad If Funimation gets it though, I would think that we'd at least get as close as we can get at this point to getting the original cast back. If someone else gets it, who knows if they'll even bother to try and get the original cast back. We'll just have to wait and see though.

Still, I'm very much looking forward to this, and I think that we're very lucky to be getting a 4th OVA. Smile
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:43 am Reply with quote
I loved the first two OVA's also, and didn't really like the third one. So I have my hopes up for this fourth one.

Tenchi looks horrible in that picture, hopefully it is just bad art and he looks more like his character design further down the page.
mdreura

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:06 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Tenchi looks horrible in that picture, hopefully it is just bad art and he looks more like his character design further down the page.

Yes, so sad. That sterile, obviously computer animated look is half of what killed the 3rd OVA for me. (The other half being the infuriating lack of plot advancement.)
johnnysasaki

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:55 am Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
Quote:
Michie Tomizawa as Mihoshi Kuramitsui

Back from (semi-)retirement I see? This should be interesting.

She voices Rachel in the Ninja Gaiden and Dead or Alive games,so she has seen some activity lately
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:16 am Reply with quote
#838774 wrote:
Please let this series die.

I thought it was dead. Although GXP being a ratings nuke for Toonami ensures that we'll never see the show on TV.

Whatever excuse plot they originally came up with for "alien women crash at guys house and they all want to have sex with him" has grown so bloated and convoluted that it makes the theories behind the ending of the Sopranos seem simplistic. At this point, the series has completely stopped making sense, and adding more to it isn't going to help.

You know what the problem is about the whole space goddesses BS? NO ONE CARES! No one ever cared! It was an excuse plot!
Tomibiki

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Whatever, I'm hype. OVA 3 sucked on its own but it was designed to make you consume other forms of media to fill in the holes ( thank god for Wikis). Hoping they don't something similar with this, but even if they do, OVA 1 & 2 hand tons of holes that later got filled as well and everyone loves them soooooooo yup.

Anyway, looks good!
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 2:47 pm Reply with quote
OVA3 was a dog's dinner. This looks like it's going to be what that dinner becomes after complete digestion, but I just don't care anymore. Arrow
Kalessin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Well, it looks like it's pretty much a guarantee that we're going to have to wait a while to see this released in the US. The first disc may come out in November, but the fourth one doesn't come out until August 30th of next year. So, I expect that we'll have to wait until sometime in 2018 at the earliest for a US release - and probably not early in 2018.

So, we can probably look forward to an annoucement or review about it a couple years from now where yet again, the folks who didn't like the 3rd OVA complain about how Tenchi Muyo! has been ruined... Sad
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3