• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hulu Ends Free Streaming as Yahoo Launches Own Service With Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Suena

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 6:46 pm Reply with quote
I abandoned Hulu a few months ago after they messed up the UI. They were making it progressively harder and harder to use the site. Someone posted a reply from their customer service (when they complained about the changes), which basically said that they didn't want hardcore watchers to use the site. So they're hoping to sweep in lots of casual watchers, but don't want binge watchers. I wonder how well this model will work out for them in the long run.

gabuhaha wrote:

I think Viz is the bigger question since they don't have their own streaming service like Funimation has.

I suspect they'll full transition over to TubiTV:
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-07-21/viz-media-announces-partnership-with-tubitv-to-stream-anime-in-u.s-canada/.104573
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Suena wrote:
I abandoned Hulu a few months ago after they messed up the UI. They were making it progressively harder and harder to use the site. Someone posted a reply from their customer service (when they complained about the changes), which basically said that they didn't want hardcore watchers to use the site. So they're hoping to sweep in lots of casual watchers, but don't want binge watchers. I wonder how well this model will work out for them in the long run.

That sounds really weird for a streaming site. You make things harder for your customers, you are going to lose some customers. But stranger things have happened in business. Who would of thought the Microsoft Xbox people would give the finger to military personnel and others over the Xbox One.
vgiannell5

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:54 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't be surprised if Hulu decided to change their minds after receiving too many complaints from users who still prefer it to be free.
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:24 am Reply with quote
I only used Hulu for one month but then switched to Netflix after getting fed up with paying for ads which I mostly use to watch movies and old tv shows anyway Hulu has been on the decline for a while now and has been trying desperately to stay alive so nothing they do anymore surprises me. Rolling Eyes
AnimeAddict2014

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:59 pm Reply with quote
clicked on a few videos on Yahoo view .. nothing

guess they have a long way to go

let see how long this service will last
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:39 am Reply with quote
The cable companies still have not figured out that subscribing members want uncensored, ad-free simulcasts that are as region-free as possible. With Comcast owning NBC Universal which owns a Japanese branch, you think that shouldn't be a problem for the grandparent company to help get this achieved.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3