• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: 9-year-old Girl Wins Voice Acting Competition, Was Inspired by Himōto! Umaru-chan Actress

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Congratulations! Smile Here's hoping Ms. Torio lands in a good persona one day.
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:30 pm Reply with quote
Neji1809 wrote:
ParaChomp wrote:
Great to hear about new rising young tallent. Awful that it's from Japan. Even more awful that Umaru is her inspiration.

So why is it bad that she is from Japan and that Umaru was her inspiration? I see no issues....
Japan's idol industry is hellish and Umaru is an awful role model.
feuerwerke

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:41 pm Reply with quote
This is so cute
Calsolum

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:51 pm Reply with quote
ParaChomp wrote:
Neji1809 wrote:
ParaChomp wrote:
Great to hear about new rising young tallent. Awful that it's from Japan. Even more awful that Umaru is her inspiration.

So why is it bad that she is from Japan and that Umaru was her inspiration? I see no issues....

yeah japan's idol industry is horrible but to be honest I've never really heard of a 'good' idol industry except in fiction.

as for Umaru being an awful role model i'd say yes and no, yes she's bratty, selfish and spoiled but it a mostly cute way if its played for laughs. plus she's a much better younger sister than like 99% of the younger sister themed anime's shows that consciously or subconsciously want to sleep with their brothers (looking at you Oreimo).
In Himouto I can honestly say that she and the other girls are just infatuated with her brother(Cept maybe Ebina) and gets jelly when he pays attention to other girls.
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 8:48 pm Reply with quote
prime_pm wrote:
You know, if they ever got a dub really I wanted Jessica Calvello to play the role of Umaru.

Well, it is getting a dub. Sentai confirmed that at Anime Expo.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:10 pm Reply with quote
Considering that 81 Produce hosted this competition, I'm very doubtful that this girl was actually inspired by Tanaka. I'm sure if this was hosted by a different talent agency then she would have picked a different voice actress.
Generations

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 12:39 am Reply with quote
Calsolum wrote:
yeah japan's idol industry is horrible but to be honest I've never really heard of a 'good' idol industry except in fiction.

as for Umaru being an awful role model i'd say yes and no, yes she's bratty, selfish and spoiled but it a mostly cute way if its played for laughs. plus she's a much better younger sister than like 99% of the younger sister themed anime's shows that consciously or subconsciously want to sleep with their brothers (looking at you Oreimo).
In Himouto I can honestly say that she and the other girls are just infatuated with her brother(Cept maybe Ebina) and gets jelly when he pays attention to other girls.

I see what you're getting at... but at the same time, I wouldn't equate 'being an evil troll' to 'incest', because the former is obviously worse.

I know Umaru being mean is played for laughs... but when Umaru started that acting thing where she made her classmates think he wasn't a good brother to her, that was a serious ass thing to do. She was already lazy at home, there was no need to put all the hate to her brother into it with people he didn't know and could blame him.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 2:24 am Reply with quote
Now she could voice at................ where could she voice at................. Doraemon?
Fenrin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 3:20 am Reply with quote
Congrats to her. I'd love to hear/see footage of her performances.

side note: wow this article is a little disturbing being surrounded by ecchi ads on that yaraon blog source Shocked
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 4:05 am Reply with quote
I'm actually kind of stunned that Lion, of all things, was part of the audition process, particularly the one done by May'n alone. I mean, that lady's got some pipes! I'd be surprised if many nine-year-olds could measure up to that (though both Britain and America's Got Talent have blown some of those expectations to smithereens). Still, for such a young actress, what kind of roles could she conceivably get, aside from kid's show stuff? Maybe something like the girl who was in Barakamon and the on-going Sweetnesss & Lightning?
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 6:35 am Reply with quote
Well good for her I wish her the best of luck and hopefully she goes very far in voice acting or the music industry some day. Cool
Michael Nathanael T.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:19 am Reply with quote
This young lady is such a sweet and brave lady. I'll pray for her success in the next level of voice acting.[/u]
Sakurazuka_Reika

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:45 am Reply with quote
ParaChomp wrote:
Neji1809 wrote:

You know, I am a bit disturbed by the fact that a 9 year old is able to separate a voice actress from the character that she played, while you clearly are not.

I guess that shows who is more mature out of the two.
aereus

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:07 am Reply with quote
She can follow in the footsteps of young debut talent like Aoi Yuuki, Hana Kanazawa, or the 11yo that's currently voicing the main girl in Amaama to Inazuma.
Touma

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:30 am Reply with quote
This girl won a voice acting competition that was held by an agency that manages voice actors.
Why are people here talking about the idol industry? That is a different business.
Or am I misunderstanding what 81 Produce really is?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3