• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Shūmatsu no Izetta Original Anime Reveals New Visual, Story, Characters

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:44 pm Reply with quote
From the key image and character descriptions I'm not sure what tone this series may shoot for, since the promos suggest a war-centric, fairly action-packed affair while the new character art looks like a romantic series.
John Hayabusa

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:55 pm Reply with quote
I am not going to jump to the conclusion but this might be yuri. If it is, then yay! The rise of yuri keeps getting higher and stronger!!!!

Anyway, like the story and the two girls, I am getting some GATE vibes from it. Feels like GATE set in WW2 with some possible yuri in it. Even the character design looks like it was from that series. Picking this up.

By the way, the fall season is turning into a yurifest of sorts. Not much about real yuri anime, just anime with lots of yuri subtext and baits.

Last edited by John Hayabusa on Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kougeru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Ashen Phoenix wrote:
From the key image and character descriptions I'm not sure what tone this series may shoot for, since the promos suggest a war-centric, fairly action-packed affair while the new character art looks like a romantic series.

It can be both war-centric and romantic...that actually tends to work pretty well.
Blackiris_

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:11 pm Reply with quote
I'm really not a fan of war settings with young characters and a light-hearted presentation. And I'm certainly not a fan of military fetishism. This anime has a lot of elements that appeal to me, but if it turns out to be yet another more light-hearted than serious story that focuses more on cuteness and coolness than realism, this is probably not for me.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Can't really place what tone or even type of series this will be so far and I like that. I'm looking forward to finding out.
Lord Dcast

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:42 pm Reply with quote
These PVs tell me nothing, and I'm not sure whether to be happy or worried. Sure, it's good not to know too much, but even the most cryptic of trailers show off the tone. I'm worried this series might not have a consistent tone.
Animechic420

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:49 pm Reply with quote
John Hayabusa wrote:
I am not going to jump to the conclusion but this might be yuri. If it is, then yay! The rise of yuri keeps getting higher and stronger!!!!

Anyway, like the story and the two girls, I am getting some GATE vibes from it. Feels like GATE set in WW2 with some possible yuri in it. Even the character design looks like it was from that series. Picking this up.

By the way, the fall season is turning into a yurifest of sorts. Not much about real yuri anime, just anime with lots of yuri subtext and baits.

The yuri thing in WW2 might end with one of them dying. You know, giving to era that it is.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Ashen Phoenix wrote:

Kougeru wrote:
It can be both war-centric and romantic...that actually tends to work pretty well.

Like the Valkyria show, but hopefully without the anything like the last third of that show, where the plot started to bog down.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:16 pm Reply with quote
I'm rather curious who's the staff for this is. But MAN, that is one teaser promo pic that I hope goes into fruition!
Agent355

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Japan, can you just not with WWII? If you're going to set a show in a fictional Europe and add magic, why not also fictionalize the time period and war? Seriously, what is the purpose of mirroring WWII in this anime?
RaylenCypher

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 4:10 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
I'm rather curious who's the staff for this is. But MAN, that is one teaser promo pic that I hope goes into fruition!

I concur.
zensunni

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 4:13 pm Reply with quote
It certainly looks like a steampunk/magical girl/yuri fest to me... I'm TOTALLY there!
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:14 pm Reply with quote
Like everyone else, witches should strike while the fire is hot.

"If I'm promised to the princess then so be it." Forced yuri, the bestest kind of yuri. So it's a royal marriage promise that was turned a little to the side?

One's kind of Swiss, the other seems to be a gypsy and they're under attack by what is obviously Germany. Just not because... fiction?

They renamed France Thermidor? Gauling... galling? Bu they then renamed Great Britain Britannia because an anime original doesn't need to be original itself. Just don't get me started on Romulus.

The hills are alive... with the promise of yuri....

"With her father sick, she prepares for Germania's invasion in his stead." Historically speaking, one witch can't fight an army... wait, why invade through the alps when Thermidor and "not Belgium" are right there in the low lands?

Even for fantasy, this is not realistic...
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 2:07 am Reply with quote
I agree from the key image and story it does seem like a romantic military Anime and Yuri romance at that man I can't wait to watch this when it premieres in October. Very Happy
Dracospirit121

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 4:19 am Reply with quote
I likely give this show ago, either it going to be badarse...or my inner historian going to break down and cry. Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2