• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Shonen Jump's Sasaki: Bleach Manga Will End in Less Than 10 Weeks

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CaptainGallis

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:02 pm Reply with quote
The Majority agree that the Bleach manga series have been going down the gutter, This is fiction how the hell does any statement on it fall into fact? What isn't fact it seems as tho most people agree the manga is long past it's due with the common being it should of ended with Aizen
Tylerr

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Jesus now that's rushing it, especially when you consider exactly how little content actually goes into each of bleach chapters

probably canceled considering how much this has been dragged out over the years, no way kubo just up and decided to rush through it.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:46 pm Reply with quote
You may have noticed this thread is somewhat shorter than it was. Please keep on topic and be polite.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
JDude042

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:41 pm Reply with quote
I'm going to be interested to see how everything ends and if/what exactly loose plot points get resolved, not that I'm expecting them all to be. The problem I noticed across the majority of the series after the Soul Society arc is that Kubo seemed to introduce so many minor characters and snail along the pace of the story by having for example minor character A battle it out against minor character B for several chapters, and then by some point in the whole grand scheme of things, the plug gets pulled on it all, and things start rushing towards whatever the end point of the arc is supposed to be. I already went over a ton of plot points that are still left unresolved and probably won't be once the series ends, but more than anything there will be a lot of fun to have critiquing the series as a whole once it ends. From what I've read in other places around the internet, Kubo already released some sort of data book that explained a few things, and some people are speculating there being more of the same to help explain forgotten plot details. I honestly think that more so equates to bad management of your series if you can't even fit in some minor details on a page or two that you need a separate medium to explain it all, and I find it somewhat inexcusable in this case.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Good thing Sasaki said "in less than 10 weeks" and not "in 3 weeks". Looks like the final volume might be extra-sized after all.
Animechic420

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:49 pm Reply with quote
KH91 wrote:
Need my Ichigo x spoiler[Orihime] ending. Please, Kubo. Don't disappoint me.

Well, since most shounen manga are having it so the male MC has a girl at the end, it may just happen.

Now here's how I see things. If Kubo were to choose from Rukia and Orihime, he would most likely choose Orihime. Why??? Because she's the only other girl that has shown a romantically interest in Ichigo. Don't get me wrong, it'd be fine, too, if Kubo picks Rukia to satisfy the fans. But I've noticed something. To me, Ichigo and Rukia seem to have more of an important non-romantic relationship thing going. I never seen Rukia drop even a subtle hint that she might have feelings for him. The same with Ichigo. They argue quite a bit, but they've never really gave off a romantic vibe. Plus, Rukia's a spirit. They can't always dish out special Gigai's for whenever a spirit decides they want to live as a human. The only exception was Isshin.

All that side, it's not up to us, if it'll happen at all. It's what Kubo will do. We'll just have to wait and see. Ten more weeks, right??? Smile
JDude042

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Animechic420 wrote:
Now here's how I see things. If Kubo were to choose from Rukia and Orihime, he would most likely choose Orihime. Why??? Because she's the only other girl that has shown a romantically interest in Ichigo. Don't get me wrong, it'd be fine, too, if Kubo picks Rukia to satisfy the fans. But I've noticed something. To me, Ichigo and Rukia seem to have more of an important non-romantic relationship thing going. I never seen Rukia drop even a subtle hint that she might have feelings for him. The same with Ichigo. They argue quite a bit, but they've never really gave off a romantic vibe. Plus, Rukia's a spirit. They can't always dish out special Gigai's for whenever a spirit decides they want to live as a human. The only exception was Isshin.

All that side, it's not up to us, if it'll happen at all. It's what Kubo will do. We'll just have to wait and see. Ten more weeks, right??? Smile

Once the next chapter is officially released (not counting the illegal scans that come out before that), you'll have your answer without spoiling anything.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Animechic420 wrote:
Plus, Rukia's a spirit. They can't always dish out special Gigai's for whenever a spirit decides they want to live as a human. The only exception was Isshin.

Didn't the series pretty much hand out Gigai like candy? (Hell, quite literally so in the case of Soul Candy!) Half the time we see random Soul Reapers hanging out in Karakura Town, they're using the things to go shopping or screw around at school or the like. It's for that reason that Rukia's big emotional "goodbye" after spoiler[Aizen was defeated and Ichigo lost his powers] rang so hollow: she could literally see him any time she wanted by jumping in a Gigai and coming to the human world. Even the anime staff pretty blatantly made fun of it in the filler arc right before that. It's like Kubo didn't even remember how his own series works.
Nonaka Machine Gun B

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:24 pm Reply with quote
GrayArchon wrote:
What's happening is that Bleach is coming up on it's 15th anniversary (August 7th), and once you take the negatively numbered chapters into consideration, it's coming up on chapter 700 really soon as well.

Tiny nitpick; BLEACH's anniversary is August 6.

My best guess for all this is:

-Final chapter is at least double-length (40 pages) or possibly more
-It will be at least partially in color.

Essentially, what Naruto got.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Nonaka Machine Gun B wrote:
Essentially, what Naruto got.

Not really. Naruto's entire final chapter was done in full-color, something that had only been done three times prior in Jump's entire history, with the last time before Naruto being Slam Dunk in 1996. While I'm sure Bleach's final chapter will be longer than usual & feature some color pages at the start, that's just more or less standard procedure for a long-running manga when it ends.

Though Bleach will wind up being longer than Naruto in terms of number of volumes, I think it may not receive the full-color final chapter that Naruto, Slam Dunk, Dragon Ball, & Ring ni Kakero all received. I could be wrong, though, since Bleach was at one point one of Jump's biggest recent hits, right up there with Naruto & One Piece; I just think it lost its full-color privilege by this point. Of course, we won't know anything until Bleach is at its very end. Naruto wasn't confirmed to receive the full-color treatment until about a week or two before the final chapter ran, after all.

If Bleach becomes the fifth Jump manga to get the full-color final chapter, then congratulations to it, but if it doesn't then I won't be surprised, honestly.
MajorZero

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 4:52 am Reply with quote
I'm looking forward to Kubo's next manga. He maybe not the best mangaka around, but I immensely enjoyed Soul Society arc and later flashback chapters. I think he was writing Bleach on autopilot for several years and happy to see that he finally will be able to do something more productive.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:29 pm Reply with quote
MajorZero wrote:
I'm looking forward to Kubo's next manga. He maybe not the best mangaka around, but I immensely enjoyed Soul Society arc and later flashback chapters. I think he was writing Bleach on autopilot for several years and happy to see that he finally will be able to do something more productive.

I think Kubo should write short stories, not long ones. He's demonstrated, to me anyway, that he isn't able to keep an engaging plot going for years at a time. But he does have some good ideas, so a short story format would probably work better for him, IMO.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Larkan wrote:
i think you just missed the ending since left WSJ and ended in JUMP NEXT 2-3 chapters later irrc

Author is already starting a new series in JUMP GIGA(JUMP Next with a new name)

Oh, okay then. It's really hazy in my head for some reason. Still, it's within the realm of possibility for Tite Kubo to do the same, if he really doesn't want to let go of Bleach. The pace the manga's going, it almost feels like he's scared to let Bleach end.

Beatdigga wrote:
It's amazing. The manga has been dilly dallying and taking its sweet time to do anything and now that the editors have officially given Kubo the axe he's speeding through everything at Mach 3 to avoid a full on non-ending. George RR Martin would be proud.

Do you think he HAS been stalling this whole time?

JDude042 wrote:
I'm going to be interested to see how everything ends and if/what exactly loose plot points get resolved, not that I'm expecting them all to be. The problem I noticed across the majority of the series after the Soul Society arc is that Kubo seemed to introduce so many minor characters and snail along the pace of the story by having for example minor character A battle it out against minor character B for several chapters, and then by some point in the whole grand scheme of things, the plug gets pulled on it all, and things start rushing towards whatever the end point of the arc is supposed to be. I already went over a ton of plot points that are still left unresolved and probably won't be once the series ends, but more than anything there will be a lot of fun to have critiquing the series as a whole once it ends. From what I've read in other places around the internet, Kubo already released some sort of data book that explained a few things, and some people are speculating there being more of the same to help explain forgotten plot details. I honestly think that more so equates to bad management of your series if you can't even fit in some minor details on a page or two that you need a separate medium to explain it all, and I find it somewhat inexcusable in this case.

Adding in a new faction of characters is Kubo's way of extending the length of an arc so he can keep drawing. It worked at the beginning because the cast is small, but Kubo is not as good at juggling hundreds of characters at a time the way Eiichiro Oda or Hiromu Arakawa can, and I think as time went on, Bleach as a series started to collapse under its own weight. He really doesn't know what to do with characters once their stories have ended, so he creates new enemies for them to fight.

I might get the data books if they come out in English. If the quality of his writing has dropped, the quality of his artwork has not (even if they suffer from similar faces and he's become lazier, his raw skill at drawing, particularly staying on-model and dynamic poses and angles, has improved dramatically since he started Bleach). And I'm always interested in author's commentary on things.

Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
MajorZero wrote:

I think Kubo should write short stories, not long ones. He's demonstrated, to me anyway, that he isn't able to keep an engaging plot going for years at a time. But he does have some good ideas, so a short story format would probably work better for him, IMO.

I personally feel his talents are best used illustrating for someone else. The most glaring weakness he has, as you mentioned, is that he can't hold on to a story for some time. Eventually, he resorts nearly entirely to making characters look and act cool (and I think he genuinely has a very good sense of style). I don't know how much of his stories he plans out in advance, but I think he's best off leaving that to someone else, preferably someone who isn't very good at writing stylishness so they can cover each other's weaknesses.

Him collaborating with Tsugumi Ohba would be really weird though. Maybe the guy who wrote Baccano! and Durarara!! I liked Stealth Symphony, at least until it got ten-weeked. The guy's writing style is all about handling many characters at once, and it's clear Kubo likes to design new characters constantly. I'd love to see a work of his illustrated by Kubo.

That being said, I have no idea how willing Kubo would be to work with another person.
MajorZero

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 3:02 am Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:

Kubo must switch to the monthly magazine as opposed to writing weekly. At least that'll help with pacing issues. As for being able to keep an engaging plot, I think Kubo simply doesn't care about Bleach anymore and uses easiest and laziest way out - makes endless fights.
Somewhere

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Current leaks are that new series will be starting up in issues 35, 38, and 39. Mononofu will be dying in 34 for the new one in 35. If there are indeed new series in 38 and 39, then normal practice would have a series end in 36/37* and 38, respectively. There shouldn't be another cancellation round after this that would fall within Sasaki's 'ten weeks'.
In calendar terms, count from issue 34 (July 25)...issue 35 should be on August 1, 36/37 should be on August 8**, and 38 should be on August 22

*August 15 is Obon, ergo the double issue the previous week and no issue this week.

** there's a public holiday on August 11 (Mountain Day). I don't know if a public holiday falling on a Thursday would do anything to the official release schedule.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4