• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation to Dub D.Gray-man, Servamp, Zestiria, Danganronpa 3, Arslan, Love Live! Sunshine, M

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The American Average

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:53 am Reply with quote
Well Hallow is getting a dub? what about episodes 51-103? cause thats kinda important. I keep reading people whining that they don't get whats going on in DGM cause they forgot everything and there is zero hand holding in Hallow.

either way. Really excited to see it dubbed so quickly.

CapNatsukiSan wrote:
Stark700 wrote:
Huh interesting. Well personally, I'm looking forward to the Zestiria dub to compared to the game. Might look forward to Danganronpa 3 too.

I just hope that they retain the cast from the game's original English dub.
THIS
AceLuffy4Ever

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:20 am Reply with quote
I kepe hearing good things about D.Grayman, i plan on watching it once Funi has dubbed the second half because i dont want to get into a show thats incomplete
Blankslate

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:54 am Reply with quote
Awesome lineup! They're dubbing everything I'm watching from them except Time Travel Girl, which makes sense since it's an educational show that looks like it's going to have a lot of comparisons between Japanese culture and 1600-1800 Europe and America.

I don't know why they decided to dub D. Gray Man Hallow, First Love Monster, and Puzzle and Dragons.
D. Gray Man's last 50 episodes aren't dubbed (which are essential to understanding Hallow). From what I've heard, First Love Monster has questionable material to say the least. Puzzle and Dragons is going to be 39 episodes long, and there's a pretty small audience for that show considering it's a children's show. Maybe they'll get it on a Cartoon Network or Disney XD timeslot, but I doubt it.
SnowWarren

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:08 am Reply with quote
Blankslate wrote:
Awesome lineup! They're dubbing everything I'm watching from them except Time Travel Girl, which makes sense since it's an educational show that looks like it's going to have a lot of comparisons between Japanese culture and 1600-1800 Europe and America.

I don't know why they decided to dub D. Gray Man Hallow, First Love Monster, and Puzzle and Dragons.
D. Gray Man's last 50 episodes aren't dubbed (which are essential to understanding Hallow). From what I've heard, First Love Monster has questionable material to say the least. Puzzle and Dragons is going to be 39 episodes long, and there's a pretty small audience for that show considering it's a children's show. Maybe they'll get it on a Cartoon Network or Disney Anime hyper timeslot, but I doubt it.

The second half of D.Gray is currently being dubbed, but I do see your point. Maybe they could do a gag dub for Puzzle and Dragons like Sgt. Frog.
Zoneflare

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:16 am Reply with quote
RoamFree wrote:
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
Zoneflare wrote:
As for the music I think we wont know till the home release if the song with be dubbed or not.

I'm assuming they're going to go the NISA route and leave the songs raw. However, I'll be pleasantly surprised if Funimation does decide to produce English versions of them.

Well, if they can negotiate with Lantis Records then we may get official dubs of Aqours' growing discography. I wouldn't mind that at all.

I would love to see a listing a an ultra special edition release with lots of extras. Almost like the ones that NIS had through their website but listed through rightstuf.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:24 am Reply with quote
I know it was not very popular, but I was hoping they would dub Concrete Revolutio.
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:00 am Reply with quote
Literally the only dub I'm looking forward to is Love Live. Hell, if every other dub ends up sucking I can't see myself being too bothered by it. Maybe I'd be excited for Danganronpa 3 if they brought back the game's cast and didn't make me suffer through stoner Hagakure and Greg Gottfried but I sincerely doubt it. I'm kind of excited for Show by Rock short since I watched the original series dubbed (It's one of my favourite broadcast dubs so far) but... well, it's just a short series.

There are some dubbing choices I understand. Tales of Xestria and Danganronpa are from popular game franchises whereas Arslan, Show by Rock and Handa-kun are all sequels to previously dubbed anime. Cheer Boys seemed like a likely pick too. There's some I'm a bit mixed about like Servamp and Planetarian.

Then there are the shows that beg the question 'Why?'. Mike McFarland said that nothing like Tokyo Ghoul would ever happen again because it was too much of a pain and the way they dubbed Snow White seemed to support that. So why are they suddenly okay with skipping 50 episodes of D Gray Man? First Love Monster should be undubbable given its premise but that's getting a dub. Saiki Kusou is popular with the fujoshi in Japan (Thanks to its seiyuu cast) and basically no one else. Puzzles and Dragons... where do I even start?

Counting Endride (A dub no one asked for) they're dubbing 13 SHOWS this season. Needless to say, that means some of them are going to be weaker than others. I just hope LL Sunshine isn't one of them. I swear to God if this ends up being one of those half assed dubs they just use as an opportunity to give amateurs some work I'm not going to be happy.
Beansprout Midget

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:05 am Reply with quote
Ah, yes. DGM Hallow is being dubbed. Kinda soon though in my opinion...I think the smart thing should be at least to release the second half before dubbing Hallow, but, I can't be mad, since I'll end up watching this dub anyway.

For Danganronpa, Zestiria, and Hallow alike, I hope they try to keep some of the VA's the same, if not all. It'd be nice.

And dubbing of both Love Live! and Puzzle and Dragons? Didn't expect either to be, with how much surrounds Love Live, and P&D being aimed towards a younger audience. Oh well, I guess more variety is better in the end.
Raebo101

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:23 am Reply with quote
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:
I just hope LL Sunshine isn't one of them. I swear to God if this ends up being one of those half assed dubs they just use as an opportunity to give amateurs some work I'm not going to be happy.

Considering how popular Love Live is, I'd also hope that isn't the case. Hopefully, they'll get Caitlin Glass to ADR Direct it. She played Maki in original Love Live series and even wrote the scripts, so it makes the most sense that she directs the dub of Sunshine.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:56 am Reply with quote
SnowWarren wrote:

The second half of D.Gray is currently being dubbed, but I do see your point.

I'm curious where you have seen confirmation of this, as I would be surprised if they've even received the materials for it at this point.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:09 am Reply with quote
I'd be pretty shocked if the other episodes of D.Gray-man hadn't already been dubbed and are just sitting on a shelf somewhere. Just seems counterproductive to not do it all in one go.

I do kind of hope they change around a few things for the DGM dub, though. The first foray had some...interesting pronunciation changes, the likes of which I hadn't heard since Naruto's early days (NAH-roo-toh vs Na-ROO-toh, SAH-koo-rah vs Sah-KOO-rah, etc.) and some (in my opinion) ill-fitting voices, especially for Lenalee and Kanda, both of whom I felt were miscast in this. Now that there seems to be a wider pool of actors to pull from, I'm hoping we get some adjustments for Hallow.
Aerodynamic41

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:38 am Reply with quote
I have faith that Funimation will be able to retain the original cast from the game for Zestiria. After all, they managed to do it with Neptunia, Blazblue: Alter Memory and Bayonetta: Bloody Fate.
Fallen Wings

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:19 am Reply with quote
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:
Saiki Kusou is popular with the fujoshi in Japan (Thanks to its seiyuu cast) and basically no one else. Puzzles and Dragons... where do I even start?

Actually Saiki K is really hilarious. It keeps getting better and better, I would dub it too considering the last few shorts they have put out. Don't let the early eps fool you.

And Puzzles and Dragons is tied in with a popular video game. Enough said on that one.

But I do question why so many. Going crazy other there Funi? (Not that I mind, I watch anime while working so I like/need dubs).
Panzer Vor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:34 am Reply with quote
Getting JYB, Bryce Papenbrook, Kyle Hebert, Todd Haberkorn, Patrick Seitz, Stephanie Sheh, and Natalie Hoover to reprise their roles shouldn't be an issue, I hope. That still leaves the rest of the cast, though. As much as I like Caitlin Glass and Felecia Angelle, I'd rather have Erika Harlacher and Cassandra Lee Morris. Greg Ayres is a poor substitute for Brian Beacock as Monokuma, and Chris Bevins is a poor substitute for Kaiji Tang as Yasuhiro. There are no substitutes for Christine Cabanos as Chiaki, Steve Prince as Fuyuhiko, or Chris Tergliafera as Gundham.

Incidentally, Carrie Keranen and Kira Buckland were in the original casts of both Danganronpa 2 and Tales of Zestiria. If Funimation can get them back for one, surely they can get them back for the other. Hopefully it won't be like what happened with BlazBlue and Neptunia (Julie Ann Taylor and Kate Higgins came back for the former, but not the latter).
drakenfyre75

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:56 am Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:
SnowWarren wrote:

The second half of D.Gray is currently being dubbed, but I do see your point.

I'm curious where you have seen confirmation of this, as I would be surprised if they've even received the materials for it at this point.

ANN posted an article about Funi picking up and dubbing the second half, think it was during Anime Expo
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-06-30/funimation-licenses-d.gray-man-episodes-52-103/.103823
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4