• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Alice in Anime Wonderland

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Usagi-kun

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:44 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
I swear, Alice's Adventures in Wonderland is the only Western book Japan has ever known.
(They probably have already forgotten even Shakespeare.)
It's like what's Voltron to the West. Laughing

I am actually hopeful a company like GONZO will create an anime version of the original two books (or at least title them properly, Tim Burton). GONZO had Samurai 7 (Akira Kurosawa), Gankutsuou (Alexandre Dumas), and Romeo x Juliet (William Shakespeare) adaptations that weren't perfect, but entertaining takes. I liked some of the changes they made (the ending of The Count of Monte Cristo), and others not so much (the ending of Romeo and Juliet), but series-length production would be kind of interesting. I keep hoping someone will, at least. I have been meaning to pick up Alice in the Country of _____ ever since Borders closed. I like bunnies. Alice is close to my heart.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
EricJ2 wrote:

Oh, and Burton generation aside, the ahem, Queen of Hearts (the "Red Queen" was in Looking Glass) wasn't a "wicked queen" for Alice to "defeat"--to bring peace to the kingdom, you were about to say? The Queen is frustrating, tyrannical and silly, but basically ignored. As the Griffin says, "It's all her fancy that, they never executes nobody."

This is probably the misconception that annoys me the most, although I restrained myself from putting it in the article, hoping it would come up in the forum. (Thanks, EricJ2!) As far as I can tell, the "wicked queen" issue dates to the Disney film while the tendency to turn the Queen of Hearts and the Red Queen into a single person is more of an "American McGee's Alice"-spawned problem. There may be an earlier instance of this happening, but that's the one that seems to have popularized the misconception.

AaMoF, the Burton movie may in fact have BEEN Wes Craven's American McGee movie that was bounced from Dimension to Universal and finally back to Disney again (who decided to pimp their house-brand cartoon love over an obscure videogame)--
I haven't played the CD-Rom game, but a lot of the first '10 movie looks.....strangely familiar, including the toothy creatures, the premise of Alice returning to her "dreamland" as a teenager to fight baddies, the nasty eye-patched Knave of Hearts, the scene where Alice step-stones over offed heads, and of course the Red Queen/Hearts mixup the game invented.

...What, people thought the Burton movie was a version of the book just because they studio TOLD them it was? Laughing
Roxas4ever

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 10:09 pm Reply with quote
I'm a huge Alice fan. I did my final paper for Film Theory on "Adaption Theory" and how it's seen with Alice adaptations, and my thesis for my English degree was on "Themes of Identity" in the two Alice works.

My favorite casual nod to Alice in anime is the Ouran chapter/episode that acts as a recap of previous story lines while also exploring Haruhi pre-host club. My favorite full on Alice series, though, is Pandora Hearts. Jun Mochizuki manages to create a very deep and fleshed out universe that draws parallels to Carroll's work without feeling like a straight up copy. It even explores a lot of the same themes (like "identity"! WHAT! Razz )

I wish this article had been around a few years ago when I ran a panel on anime/manga versions of Alice at Anime Detour. There are a few ones in here I haven't heard of that would have really enriched the discussion Very Happy

Also, as a huge Kaori Yuki fan, I'd like to point out that her manga is frequently rich with Western literary references (Alice, obviously, but also Grimm's Fairy Tales, nursery rhymes, King Arthur lore, etc.) and a huge treat for people who are in to that kind of thing Anime hyper
Showsni

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 7:46 pm Reply with quote
I really like Alice, though I'm also a big fan of Sylvie and Bruno; shame it's not more well known. I think the verse from Sylvie and Bruno (the Gardener's Song and so on) is probably better known that the books! My school library had a copy of the complete works of Lewis Carroll that I'd often take out, and I was lucky enough to find the same edition for myself in a secondhand bookshop. I like the Tangled Tale too, though it's more maths puzzles than stories. Very Happy

Are there any anime/manga adaptations of Sylvie and Bruno? Is there even a Japanese translation?
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:04 am Reply with quote
I don't think there's a Japanese translation of Sylvie and Bruno; honestly, not many people know it who aren't already Carroll fans. (It even slips under the radar of a lot of children's book enthusiasts who aren't academics.) The themes have continued to pop up in children's literature, although not many know where they originated - more credit tends to go to George MacDonald. He's also an amazing author of the period. If you haven't read The Princess and the Goblin or The Light Princess, I highly recommend them!
yuna49

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:16 am Reply with quote
One show that seems to have been overlooked here is Mahou Shoujotai Arusu, released as "Tweeny Witches" in the West. Young "Alice" (Arusu) falls off a roof and into a magical world. Still beyond the opening references to Alice, the story in this show is entirely original with none of Carroll's characters appearing as far as I can recall. This is a beautifully illustrated show by Studio 4°C and pretty entertaining even for adults like me.
shosakukan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Showsni wrote:
Is there even a Japanese translation?

Princess_Irene wrote:
I don't think there's a Japanese translation of Sylvie and Bruno;

Actually, famous scholar of English literature Yanase Naoki translated Sylvie and Bruno into Japanese, and it was published in 1976.
Professor Yanase also translated works by Charles Lutwidge Dodgson/Lewis Carroll such as Pillow Problems and A Tangled Tale.
He also translated James Joyce's Finnegans Wake. He now does a new translation of Joyce's Ulysses.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:59 am Reply with quote
Thank you, shosakukan, I wasn't aware of that 1976 translation! Ulysses and Finnegan's Wake must be brutal to translate - I admire Professor Yanase's dedication and talent!

As a random translation note, last year I was able to see the Japanese translations of Anne Morrow Lindbergh's A Gift From the Sea and was surprised to see that there are two - one using more feminine language and one more masculine. Do you know if this happens often when English language works are translated into Japanese, or was Lindbergh's book an exception?
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:18 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
Ulysses and Finnegan's Wake must be brutal to translate - I admire Professor Yanase's dedication and talent!

I was thinking something along similar lines as well.....
shosakukan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:03 am Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
Thank you, shosakukan, I wasn't aware of that 1976 translation! Ulysses and Finnegan's Wake must be brutal to translate - I admire Professor Yanase's dedication and talent!

As a random translation note, last year I was able to see the Japanese translations of Anne Morrow Lindbergh's A Gift From the Sea and was surprised to see that there are two - one using more feminine language and one more masculine. Do you know if this happens often when English language works are translated into Japanese, or was Lindbergh's book an exception?

It is my pleasure.
You mean English Work X's being translated into Japanese a few/several times? It occasionally happens, if not often.
For example, a Japanese translation of Raymond Chandler's The Big Sleep was published in 1956 (the translator was Futaba Jûzaburô, who was a famous film critic), and another translation by Murakami Haruki was published in 2012.
In the case of Ulysses, it has been translated at least four times.
1. Trans. by Itô Sei and others. (Pub. 1931-1933)
2. Trans. by Morita Sôhei and others. (1932-1935)
3. Trans. by Maruya Saiichi, Nagakawa Reiji, and Takamatsu Yûichi (1964. The revision of the translation in the 90s.)
4. Some chapters of the trans. by Yanase Naoki have been released. (the 90s and 2010s)
In the Bernard-jô Iwaku. (Miss Bernard Said.) manga by Shikawa Yûki, the characters occasionally talk about the new translations and the old translations of foreign books.
The 1956 translation of Gift from the Sea was done by Yoshida Ken'ichi, a renowned literary critic who studied literature at the University of Cambridge. He was a close friend of Professor Donald Keene. Yoshida Ken'ichi was also famous as a gourmet, and his books on food and drink are very enjoyable.
shosakukan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:29 am Reply with quote
Professor Yanase Naoki passed away at the age of 73 on July 30.

http://www.asahi.com/articles/ASJ825QW3J82UCLV00T.html
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:01 am Reply with quote
I'm so sorry to hear that. Thank you for letting us know.

Also, thank you for all of your information about translation and Gift From the Sea. You're a wealth of information, and I really appreciate it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2