• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aniplex USA Announces God Eater's English Dub, AkibaFest in LA

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Crispin Freeman's still doing dubs, and that's all that truly matters.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:43 pm Reply with quote
Kb24lol wrote:

Yup, netflix also.

Although as of earlier today, they have yet to add the final 12 episodes. Hopefully CR will be provided with the full compliment.
ZeArNkN

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:43 pm Reply with quote
Kb24lol wrote:
Sobe wrote:
It must be a good season for Robbie. Two articles today mentioned him in dubs.

With Tales of Zestiria being dubbed before the sub, there might even be 3. Idk if he's returning tho as the MC but lets hope.

They're dubbing the Zestiria anime? Neat. Hopefully they'll at least try to get the video game dub cast.
Kb24lol

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:57 pm Reply with quote
ZeArNkN wrote:

They're dubbing the Zestiria anime? Neat. Hopefully they'll at least try to get the video game dub cast.

Ya funimations dubbing it, but besides alexis tipton, idk if theyll bring back the other voice actors, im praying they do tho.
Alabaster Spectrum

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Lynx Amali wrote:
Aniplex recasts, my mortal enemy, especially ones that just recently reprises their roles too.

I can deal as long as Daisuki doesn't pull down their streams.

They do this with their Japanese side dubs too now. They have this tendency to just randomly recast perfectly available voice casts like with D Gray Man and Ace Attorney with more "anime popular" voice actors unless it's a case where the original fanbase would absolutely freak if a major character got replaced. I think this is about the only thing keeping all their casts from just looking like a Pre 1970's studio system style of casting all across the board where there's just kind of one rotation of casts for everything and that's it. For a modern example of what I'm talking about think Tim Burton and how everything must have Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham Carter and be scored by Danny Elfman.

penguintruth wrote:
I'm glad I bought FMA: B years ago when Funimation released it, because I'm not going to spend $100+ for a few episodes a volume for it (or anything, really). But to Aniplex's credit, it'll be streamed online.

Pleasantly and legitimately surprised to see them ease up somewhat on the absolute overt pure dickishness with that Crunchyroll move almost if they were paying attention to fan concerns and like it somewhat mattered to them when it doesn't instantly translate into profit via holding popular licenses hostage which sorry to say IS their obvious business model. They're corporate media license hoarders plain and simple and aside from not potentially threatening anyone's lives directly via their practices (unless you count the A-1 Pictures suicide) and being more of a want versus need company with what they buy the rights too are really no different than a Martin Shrkreli in how they run their businesses.

Anyway maybe they do care ever so slightly about their terrible PR image of late that market shilling covering for as much anymore, but probably just enough so that it doesn't backfire into commercial shortfalls which seems like might be happening a little of late. For the first time since like 2012 they're making a move here or there that doesn't just seem entirely and transparently self serving (like maybe 1 out of every 10 commercial PR moves they make) and intended for gouging or exploiting fans but they still have a long way to go yet to get back to that 2000's state where I didn't feel like vomiting the entire contents of my stomach all over my screens and saying "Nope!" every time I saw their name attached to any project in any capacity on either side of the Atlantic.
SNaGem

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:40 pm Reply with quote
Kb24lol wrote:
dark13 wrote:
DuchessBianca wrote:
dark13 wrote:
Couldn't even get yuri lowenthal to be Soma again ? SMH

He doesn't do anime anymore I don't think, all about them video game big bucks.
Really ?!!!!!! [expletive] Spider man, I should have known the moment he got that role he was too cool for anime even tho anime was the reason he Became Popular, I feel betrayed.

lol besides durarara and naruto dont think he'll do anymore either sadly. Gonna miss him.

I dunno where you're coming up with this. Yuri hasn't become explosively popular like Troy Baker and Laura Bailey. Those two get consistent AAA games which take more time to so and subsequently pay more. Yuri is still doing a ton of JRPGs and the like that don't necessarily make more.

Furthermore, the (odd but great) presence of Crispin Freeman here shows it's union, which Yuri would be just as likely to appear in. Given that Crispin Freeman played Johannes in the game, but now it's Patrick Seitz, it seems to be a recast on AoA's part. Which is a good idea in my mind since Yuri never sounded right as Soma for me - sounded too much like Sasuke.
DisneyXAnimefan95

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:34 pm Reply with quote
SNaGem wrote:

I dunno where you're coming up with this. Yuri hasn't become explosively popular like Troy Baker and Laura Bailey. Those two get consistent AAA games which take more time to so and subsequently pay more. Yuri is still doing a ton of JRPGs and the like that don't necessarily make more.

I agree, sure Yuri Lowenthal and his wife Tara Platt haven't been gaining new anime roles in the last couple of years, due to their involvement on creating independent live-action short films through their production company and doing anime voiceover at Studiopolis, but they haven't gone the same route as Troy Baker and the Bailey-Willingham duo, since they do some JRPG title "Once in a Blue Moon" so their's that.
kevinx59

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 1:40 am Reply with quote
Aniplex releasing non-Aniplex series? That is kind of scary. Though it makes me wonder how Funi was able to get the DGray Man licenses, both Hollow and the unreleased episodes from the original.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 5:57 am Reply with quote
Crispin freeman, Wendee Lee, Mary Elizabeth McGlynn and Michelle Ruff, they certainly have put together a good dub.
DisneyXAnimefan95

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 8:52 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Crispin freeman, Wendee Lee, Mary Elizabeth McGlynn and Michelle Ruff, they certainly have put together a good dub.

Agreed I'm more surprised to see Mary Elizabeth McGlynn appear in Bang Zoom! once again, since her last known involvement at BZ! was her uncredited role in Persona 4: The Animation and the majority of her roles and typecasts have been assumed by Laura Post.
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 12:06 pm Reply with quote
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
Is Aniplex gonna release FMA?
Unknown, for all we know it could end up being another Rurouni Kenshin. A show that still streams very well for them (it's #3 all-time for them on Hulu), but they refuse to release themselves.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
relyat08

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:11 pm Reply with quote
kevinx59 wrote:
Aniplex releasing non-Aniplex series? That is kind of scary. Though it makes me wonder how Funi was able to get the DGray Man licenses, both Hollow and the unreleased episodes from the original.

What non-Aniplex series? Confused
L'Imperatore

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:06 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:

In Japan, God Eater is produced and distributed by Bandai Visual.
relyat08

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:45 pm Reply with quote
L'Imperatore wrote:
relyat08 wrote:

In Japan, God Eater is produced and distributed by Bandai Visual.

Oh, interesting. I guess I figured it was an Aniplex production since no one said anything about it when AoA actually licensed it a year ago.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:55 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:

Oh, interesting. I guess I figured it was an Aniplex production since no one said anything about it when AoA actually licensed it a year ago.

They didn't license it; they just had the streaming rights.
Automatically assuming that streaming = licensing is silly. Otherwise, shows like Tatami Galaxy and Fafner Exodus would be getting physical releases.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3