• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Netflix's Live-Action Death Note Film Reveals More Characters, Cast, 2017 Premiere

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nonaka Machine Gun B

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:26 pm Reply with quote
I have no dog in this race, and I guess Death Note is structured in a way you can make any story you want in any place, or even any time period, that you want, but I always figured L was really iconic in his design. Like, that character is synonymous with the series the way a Super Saiyan is with Dragon Ball. Interesting they are completely forgoing it.

Laughed my ASS OFF at "Light Turner" though. You might as well have given him a completely new name. Or, perhaps given him an Anglo first name, and make "Light" his surname. An American walking around with the given name "Light" is just silly.

I think it'll still be worth checking out if The Guest was any indication of Wingert's skills; especially if you're completely unfamiliar with DN and don't care what's different or not. That being said, too bad Shane Black passed the buck on this.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Cyclone1993 wrote:
Well he's obviously not in character in the pic. So he could still be a weird looking guy. Plus he's only 24 compared to the actor for Light's 21. So it all works out.

L being abnormally ultra-pale, like he's never seen the sun, doesn't work when you're black.
Animechic420

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:04 pm Reply with quote
And this is why I don't watch live-action adaptations of my favorite anime or manga. Confused
jenny10-11

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Death Note's got a fairly simple concept, and isn't gounded in a specific culture or time, so it can easily be reimagined for an American setting without disrupting the feel of the original. So long as the actors and script are good, it could easily be a decent American drama/ suspense series. I'm going to withhold judgement until it's been released.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:38 pm Reply with quote
I love all the people saying they won't watch it because L is black, and no one saying they won't watch it because the rest of the characters were made into white Americans and the only non-American character was made Japanese for some reason. Gotta love those double standards
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:42 pm Reply with quote
- That guy who is gonna be Light looks like somebody who would find puzzling the act of opening the fridge door.

- The black dude looks like is about to go to a party.

The rest are ok.
JackCox

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:43 pm Reply with quote
At the very least, thank god they changed the last names, now that awkwardness could be avoided, also there are films featuring an Asian cast, and I'm very curious to see how Keith Stanfield plays L.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:28 pm Reply with quote
I see this thread is turning out as well as the last one did. Time for some clean up. So unless everyone wants this thread to wind up locked like the last one, or risk being put on moderation, how about we all cease with the trollish and ignorant comments & one liners ok? Thanks.
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:36 pm Reply with quote
Which Fantastic Four? Fantastic Four or Fan4stic?
Red Fox of Fire

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:37 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
I love all the people saying they won't watch it because L is black, and no one saying they won't watch it because the rest of the characters were made into white Americans and the only non-American character was made Japanese for some reason. Gotta love those double standards

I don't care myself, but walw6pK4Alo made a good point about why L being black might be problematic. I imagine most people don't care about the majority of the cast being American because a live-action adaptation of Death Note with an all-Japanese cast already exists. What would be the point of doing it again, especially when this one is being made primarily for an American audience?

It's not a double standard.
ninjamitsuki

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:40 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, I'm okay with this. If they're moving the setting to America and changing the names, that's okay. It's only when they KEEP the characters Japanese and still have white people play them like Dragonball Evolution and GiTS is when it's really effing racist.

To me it seems more like localization a la Pokemon or Ace Attorney or whatever than whitewashing.
princess passa passa

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Idk but there's seems to be something about anime/manga that when they are translated into live action... it doesn't seem to work...

Regardless of which country/culture does the adapting. Is it the volume of material? Or live action can't do the intensity it calls for without being over the top or cheesy?

Either way, I'm rooting for this one to pull through and be an exception though I'm not holding my breath...
ryanvamp

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:58 pm Reply with quote
Amazing casting, uncanny resemblance. It did wonders for Fant4stic.
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:05 pm Reply with quote
kpk wrote:
I don't care L is black. I care the L is ugly and this guy isn't.

His fangirls beg to differ.

On that note, it's ironic that L and Watari, the two characters that you could get away with casting a white person as, are played by minorities.
KefkaesqueXIII

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:10 pm Reply with quote
ParaChomp wrote:
Which Fantastic Four? Fantastic Four or Fan4stic?

Fan4stic

The moment I saw he was attached, my cautious optimism plummeted.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5