• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: My Hero Academia Anime Gets 2nd Season

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Somewhere

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:33 am Reply with quote
Drunk wrote:
I really hope it will cover more than the sports festival and be a 2 cour season. That way they could end it with the first appearance of spoiler[All For One]. That would be awesome.

I'd actually rather not have the second season cover that far. Something I say over and over again: the arc-following-the-Sports-Festival should be the closing arc of a season. It has the combination of having enough climactic feeling to finish a season as a storytelling unit and the sort of impact on the setting that would leave you anticipating for a follow up season. Then, you can use the following breather arc as something to start up a third season with, and have that season go through to what the manga just covered.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:15 am Reply with quote
KilluaX3 wrote:
That's your opinion. I think it was perfect. Smile

I agree with this guy. The pacing was perfect for me, and I read the manga.
Calculus20

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:42 am Reply with quote
Considering the manga boost wasn't significantly large, the disc sales are looking to be pretty bad, and the TV ratings are some of the worst the Nichigo block has seen this is clearly a planned split cour anime. Good news for the fans I guess.
ETX

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:55 am Reply with quote
Calculus20 wrote:
Considering the manga boost wasn't significantly large, the disc sales are looking to be pretty bad, and the TV ratings are some of the worst the Nichigo block has seen this is clearly a planned split cour anime. Good news for the fans I guess.

Not even close to being a split-cour. It was announced as 13 episodes months before airing so that shut's down it being a split-cour.
Somewhere

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:58 am Reply with quote
Comparing vol 9's third week sales to the pre-anime best third week numbers, I'm seeing a 40% increase. That's plenty enough to get Shueisha to fund another season. Shokugeki no Souma and Assassination Classroom saw an increase of somewhere around 30% and they got 2nd seasons easily.
Sure, +40% would seem to be "not significantly large", if your baseline is Haikyuu's 200% increase or World Trigger's 150%. But at that point, the issue is how you choose your baseline to revolve your thinking around.
COREY2293

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:16 pm Reply with quote
I am so happy... I thought this anime would be awful based on the first episode. What i love about Izuku is that even though he can be a coward he always steps up when it counts. He develops unlike a lot of MC that are cowards. I think its why Gohan in the cell saga is my favorite character in Dragon Ball Z

i was actually going to start the manga after the next episode but with this news i will wait. GREAT NEWS!
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:22 pm Reply with quote
Pacing: The anime adding in flashbacks and recaps [i]that didn't exist in the manga[i] kills my engagement with each episode. It's obvious that the episodes were padded to end with the villain attack on U.A.

Announcement: HELL YEAH

SO HAPPY WE GET A SECOND SEASON
Pierrot.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:20 pm Reply with quote
ETX wrote:
Calculus20 wrote:

Not even close to being a split-cour. It was announced as 13 episodes months before airing so that shut's down it being a split-cour.

This isn't the first time it has happened. Tokyo Ghoul was announced as 12 episode in the beginning but according to an interview with the director, they had already planned a second cour. According to Bones, they started the production of the anime before the first volume was even compiled.
http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2016/05/06-1/bones-studio-panel-at-machi-asobi-vol-16-reveals-rapid-production-schedules
If what they're saying is true then they've already started with second season's production.
Sobe

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Very Happy I only have 2-3 episodes left to finish of the first season but I'll leave them as they are since we're getting a second season. It's a show you kind of have to binge watch honestly. Hopefully we'll get to see some more anti-heroes and anti-villains this time.
Calculus20

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:39 pm Reply with quote
Someone else pointed out in the comments that Souma and AssClass got a 30% boost but their 2nd seasons weren't announced until a fair amount AFTER the 1st season finished. Meanwhile Academia's boost is not that much higher and they've already announced more episodes. Manga sales aren't everything you know. There's a reason it was put on a daytime programming block like Nichigo because the producers thought it would attract a lot of ratings which it has failed to. Also going by Amazon Stalker points the first volume is looking to make 3k disc sales which isn't good news for the video publisher. There are other companies besides Shuiesha trying to make money off the anime.

Furthermore, it is most likely the case the producers were waiting to secure new time slots to announce the 2nd cour. As you may or may not know, next season is rather odd for the Nichigo block as Nanatsu no Taizai is only airing 4 new episodes only to be replaced by Arslan s2 which will be 8 new episodes. Then in the fall Gundam IBO 2nd cour will be announced again which makes it difficult to know when to air the new cour of Academia.

Speaking of IBO, it's basically the same situation as Academia. It was not announced before hand that the show would be split cour and many people thought it would end at 25 episodes but they announced it right at the end of the 1st season's final episode. This was also indicative of the slow pacing of the show as people thought the story wouldn't be able to wrap up properly. I'm hearing the same complaints about Academia as well with regards to pacing and the fact that with the announcement of the new season they've announced what arc it will cover shows that this was all planned ahead of time and it's indeed a separate split cour to be aired later in the future.

I'm not doubting what you're saying about the sales numbers but there are so many other factors besides source material boost that go into this kind of production. I am confident in saying Academia did not receive a 2nd season out of any kind of merit and that it was a planned split-cour that wasn't announced until now because the producers were not able to secure a proper time slot for it.
#Foreverfizz8

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Aw hell yeah. I for some reason never did end up reading the majority of the manga, but the show has been surprisingly nice so far. Hope the second season is just as good as the first.
GarethXL

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Somewhere wrote:
Drunk wrote:
I really hope it will cover more than the sports festival and be a 2 cour season. That way they could end it with the first appearance of spoiler[All For One]. That would be awesome.

I'd actually rather not have the second season cover that far. Something I say over and over again: the arc-following-the-Sports-Festival should be the closing arc of a season. It has the combination of having enough climactic feeling to finish a season as a storytelling unit and the sort of impact on the setting that would leave you anticipating for a follow up season. Then, you can use the following breather arc as something to start up a third season with, and have that season go through to what the manga just covered.

here's the problem the whole sports fest arc doesn't have enough material to be 12/13 ep long. if it did only do the sports fest there will be a lot of padding, since IMO the sports fest has about enough materials for 6-10 ep though i hope they don't compress it to 6 since then the pacing will be all off it would be good to be around 7-8 with ep 9 starts with the conclusion of the fest and ends with slains appearance and the rest would be the slains arc. or they could do a 10 ep. season just focusing on the fest.

as for people complaining/praising the pacing.

no the pacing isn't perfect there's the first 2 ep, the exam, and the filler ep, that's about 40% of the season with wonky pacing and that doesn't warrens it to be called perfect.

on the other hand it doesn't have bad pacing is things like campione, (insert other jump titles), and vanadis those has really bad pacing this series on the other hand suffers from slight padding to fit the broadcast time which they did it perfectly (the padding not the overall pacing)

and what the hell is with those flashbacks and recaps complains out there i've never came across any flashbacks in this series that wasn't essential to the overall flow of the story telling, and if you guys are complaining about the 1.30min recap at the beginning of majority of the ep. have you guys watch any prime time tv before? and i don't mean anime only and if that pissed you off you guys obviously haven't seen any of the other Jump animes since those has ridiculously ep long recap. hell some ep are nothing but recap with 5min of actual new content.
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:15 pm Reply with quote
I can see this easily covering the Sports Festival arc and the Field Training arc. I can assume that the School Trip and Hideout Raid arcs would be Season 3 (if it gets one).

I hope this comes out at least around Spring of next year. The more material the manga has, the better.
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:40 pm Reply with quote
AWESOME My Hero Academia is my favorite spring 2016 series and to hear that it's getting a second season is fantastic news I've also really been enjoying the English dubbed version and can't wait to see more of Deku in the second season. Very Happy
Twilightmaster

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Sure, disc sales used to be big back when Bleach was premiering.. in 2004, but streaming and merchandise push the anime market these days aside from just viewers of the broadcast. Not to mention percents are meaningless without the original sales numbers. a huge number getting a 40% increase is way better than a smaller number getting a 150% increase, so there's a lack of context to your figures.

So while you have some facts, you don't have enough to validate your claims that it's not doing well. At least from what you've shared thus far.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4