• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Shōnen Maid

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lebrel

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The lesson Ryuji learns is somewhat vague. Does seeing Chihiro rock his maid outfit teach him that he can be manly no matter what he wears? Did the prospect of hurting Chihiro's feelings simply prompt him to suck it up and stop whining?

Gina Szanboti wrote:
It seemed like he had his epiphany when told to give the audience what they want to see, never mind what you want. :/

I think the point was that, as a professional entertainer, his job is to make the fans happy. And since his appeal revolves around his boyishness (both in- and out-of-universe), he should do his best to embrace the role, at least on-camera. Which is a very Japanese sort of lesson in general, but also very relevant to showbiz.
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 10:31 pm Reply with quote
I used to do most of my homework and studying during break periods, too. Unfortunately, I didn't share Chihiro's affinity for cleaning.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 12:57 am Reply with quote
The first thing that came to mind when they brought up the "Dreams for the Future" topic was that Chihiro should own a chain of hotels. He'd probably drive his staff batty though, trying to clean everything they'd just cleaned.
sunflower

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 6:07 am Reply with quote
Huh, I thought this was a bad episode, the worst of the season for me (of this series that is). I thought the voice acting sounded off, the animation had far too many stills, and the comic timing just seemed to constantly slip a little too long and ruin any jokes. And it utterly bored me. I hope they're back to form next week.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 9:07 pm Reply with quote
I literally forgot to watch last week's episode so I watched both 7 and 8 together. Anime once again proves that anything involving idols is trash: god that episode was awful. Ryuji was annoying, and we take a minute off the touching birthday scene to an idol insert because someone needs to sell discs.

Gladly episode 8 was much better. While I think it dragged a little at the end with the teacher's part, had it ended at the part where Madoka and Chihiro are discussing the hotel baron dream it would've been my favorite episode of the show.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 2:58 pm Reply with quote
According to the official site, the show will get an OVA episode bundled with its 3rd home-media volume, numbered as episode #8.5.
sunflower

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Hino was a breath of fresh air this week, and the cabin with its sunrise scene was very sweet.

I'm sticking with an unexpected group of shows this season. This is one. I really hadn't thought I'd make it past the first couple episodes.
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 1:29 am Reply with quote
Very funny episode. I thought Madoka throwing out all the dishes he dirtied was a neat variation of the time-tested "stuffing everything into a closet" gag.

Quote:
Even after the mansion has been cleaned from top to bottom, he's still able to rattle off a handful of chores that need tending to. In some respects, the titular maid acts like an exaggerated caricature of himself throughout much of this segment—which would be more of a problem if the results weren't so entertaining.

I agree, although I hope they ease up on this schtick in the coming weeks. At this point, it feels like they've milked the comedy cow dry with regard to Chihiro's cleaning obsession. I actually found myself becoming actively annoyed with him throughout the first segment, though in fairness, the gang did kind of force their way into his comfort zone - albeit with the best of intentions. (Also, on the subject of comfort zones, the kid needs to give up on Madoka's room already.)
CheezcakeMe

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 1:44 pm Reply with quote
I'm really liking this show but I'm hoping it'll give me a bit more to chew on soon. There's a lot of dangling questions and hints of less happy fluffy stuff they aren't really touching on yet. Who's Chidori's dad? Where is he? Why didn't Madoka ever visit his beloved sister even once in the last decade? Especially since he lived only a couple miles from her. What's up with their family? What kind of a-hole parents do they have that would boot their pregnant teenage daughter out the front door with naught but the clothes on her back? Answer these questions gosh darnit!
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 2:05 pm Reply with quote
CheezcakeMe wrote:
I'm really liking this show but I'm hoping it'll give me a bit more to chew on soon. There's a lot of dangling questions and hints of less happy fluffy stuff they aren't really touching on yet. Who's Chidori's dad? Where is he? Why didn't Madoka ever visit his beloved sister even once in the last decade? Especially since he lived only a couple miles from her. What's up with their family? What kind of a-hole parents do they have that would boot their pregnant teenage daughter out the front door with naught but the clothes on her back? Answer these questions gosh darnit!

I imagine the family did not approve of Chihiro's father marrying his mother/fathering him and thus disowned her or she left on her own. She is an adult. She can make her own decisions and is responsible for herself and her decisions. Now they could have done more to help her, but given her lack of resentment towards her parents, on some level that was the way she wanted it, not unlike Chihiro's hesitance to accept Madoka's aid for nothing in return.

The father is definitely an open question. He might not even be alive for all we know. He could have left the picture once she was with child, which would go a long way in explaining her parents' disapproval. I don't quite think they will go the deadbeat angle though. I imagine we will get an answer to that eventually, though I don't know if they will in animated form.
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:11 am Reply with quote
Odd how in one breath, Grandma acknowledges Chihiro's a great kid - but in the next, assumes that Madoka's an unfit parent. Has he been disowned by the family, too? In light of his sprawling estate, I assumed he was at least partially living off his folks' money. I also love how Hino has quietly endeared himself to the main cast.

Last edited by JaggedAuthor on Sat Jun 11, 2016 3:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
sunflower

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:22 am Reply with quote
JaggedAuthor wrote:
Odd how in one breathe, Grandma acknowledges Chihiro's a great kid - but in the next, assumes that Madoka's a terrible parent. Has he been disowned by the family, too? In light of his sprawling estate, I assumed he was at least partially living off his folks' money. I also love how Hino has quietly endeared himself to the main cast.

I got the feeling that Madoka disowned them. Perhaps he was angry at how his sister was treated?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:22 pm Reply with quote
Episode 9

Well, all that cuteness was just diabeetus in a can! Smile It amazes me how effortlessly Yoshiko Sakakibara can go from being sinister (Psycho-Pass) or authoritarian (Hellsing) to sweet, gentle grandmother. She always seems to have a quintessential elegance in her delivery though.
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:19 am Reply with quote
Honestly, Madoka's cat allergy seems pretty mild. With a residence that size, he could probably keep one or two kitties without experiencing much discomfort. The mask seemed to be more for Chihiro and Keiichiro's benefit - like he was saying, "See? You don't have to worry about me. I'm totally good now." He could also look into hypoallergenic breeds, though I doubt that would curb his impulse adoptions.

It's a little strange that Chihiro never asked Kazusa for her name during their tea date or their extended interaction at Miyako's house. I realize this was done in service of the big reveal, but I have a hard time buying that she'd never offer up some kind of name, be it real or fake, especially after he introduced himself to her.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 3:17 pm Reply with quote
The kitten climbing the curtains was adorable.

I thought the mask and gloves was a workable solution, except that he'd have to keep the kittehs confined in a one room dungeon of cuteness so that he could work normally elsewhere. With his money, he could install a Level 3 Kitty Kontainment Unit, with decontamination showers at the airlock entrance and hazmat suits.

Or...he could see an allergist and either get meds or desensitization therapy. His allergy isn't life-threatening.

Hmmm, do you think we're being trolled about his father being dead? Or was dead just a better story to tell a child than the truth? With this series, I honestly can't guess which.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4