• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Your Favorite Anime Couple

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Merxamers

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:21 pm Reply with quote
Can't really argue with the choices in the article, at least of the ones i've seen. Katamonogatari sounds like something i'd like, even though that whole franchise seems pretty inaccessible from the outside.

Like Rebecca, i've read a LOT of shojo, so i'm going to limit myself to anime adaptation-only couples. My favorites are Holo and Lawrence from Spice and Wolf; they have fantastic chemistry together, and it's elevated by the excellent english script and vocal performances by Brina Palencia and J. Michael Tatum. Also, Mei & Yamato from Say I Love You. It's rare for an anime romance, especially a shojo one, to feel genuine or real to me, but this one absolutely does.

My honorable mention would be Demon King and Hero from Maoyu. Tragically, the series doesn't last long enough to provide much resolution for their relationship, but they had great chemistry together as both competent allies and timid mutual first-loves. Their interactions and obvious affection for each other, plus one of the best meet-cutes i've ever seen, helped sell what could have been a difficult romance to accept.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:24 pm Reply with quote
I feel like copying the posts I've done in another forum about this subject. I'm almost a shipper (does it count if they're canon?)

Celty and Shinra - Durarara
Narita in general writes great character chemistry, so it's no wonder his couples are the best. From DRRR!, there's Celty and Shinra, a man literally crazy for his waifu*, who's also the house husband and a working girl who kicks everyone's butts.
*spoiler[No, seriously. Guy is part of this huge plot to get rid of her head just so he can stay with her longer. Not to mention all the other shit]

Satoshi and Ibara - Hyouka
Satoshi and Ibara are both the best written characters of the show, individually and together, both with their insecurities and passions and their actual crushes on each other.
spoiler[Plus they actually start dating in their second year]

Claire and Chane - Baccano!
One-upping Shinra and Celty in a way, Claire and Chane don't even need to pass notes to each other to communicate, Claire just knows what Chane's thinking. Seeing them both interact is entertaining as all hell, especially when there are people around and they get extremely confused.
spoiler[Claire even goes to 'the enemy's' side so that he can get Huey's approval for the marriage, and even meets her mom at one point. Guy's dedicated to his waifu]
A Mystery

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Holo and Lawrence are a very good couple indeed.

I´d also like to throw a coin (or 100) in for Miyazawa Yukino and Arima Souichiro from Kare Kano / His and Her Circumstances. Definitely a classic example of a couple that finds each other earlier on in the series, while each changing for the better by being with each other, learning new things.
Edl01

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Kumiko and Reina from Sound Euphonium.

*snicker*
Heishi

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:57 pm Reply with quote
Himeko and Chikane from Destiny of the Shrine Maiden/Kannazuki no Miko, baby.

No couple has given such an emotional impact for me but those two.

Last edited by Heishi on Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:37 pm; edited 2 times in total
relyat08

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I'm so glad to see Shichika and Togame on there! They have been my favorite couple since the moment I finished Katanagatari. I really don't have anything to add to Nick's write up. They are perfect together. NisiOisin remains my favorite character writer to this day, and this couple is largely the reason why.

Desa

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:58 pm Reply with quote
It's really tough picking just one out of all the anime pairings I have ever seen, but my favorite would have to be...
Okabe x Kurisu.
It's hard to top a bond that spans countless world lines.

Honorable mentions:
Claire x Raki
Ryner x Ferris
Ikki x Stella

I just realized these are all combat couples and I'm okay with that. Those who fight together, stay together (or die together).

Favorite unofficial pair: Reiri x Riza (Kaibutsu Oujo)
They work so well together it's unreal (though this is shown more in the manga than in the anime). You wouldn't think a half-werewolf half-human hybrid and a pureblood vampire could be such a good match but I guess that could partly be why they complement each other. They're true comrades by the end of the manga but I'm hoping somewhere down the line they become more than best friends (mega best friends Wink)

Reiri prefers the blood of young, nubile girls *wink* *wink*, and Riza doesn't seem the type to be completely opposed to "experimenting" *nudge* *nudge*.
I wish it were canon but alas, I'll have to settle for reading extra hard between the lines.

Last edited by Desa on Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:09 pm Reply with quote
A Mystery wrote:
I´d also like to throw a coin (or 100) in for Miyazawa Yukino and Arima Souichiro from Kare Kano / His and Her Circumstances.

I think Miyazawa+Arima is a great couple IF
-You stop after episode 4 (when they first get together), or...
-You read all the way through the MANGA

I don't think they can be considered a top tier ANIME couple simply because of where the anime halts.
DigitalScratch

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:22 pm Reply with quote
I am so happy that Amy's choice was Akito and Sana. I love their relationship and how it developed as the series progresses, especially in the manga which took so many dark turns. They remain one of my top favorites official anime pairs.

Admittedly, as a crazy shipper I have a long list of favorite anime couples. And what sucks is that most of them aren't official. Just close enough that they're best friends forever (Soul and Maka) or pure crack that even I agree is just crazy (Death the Kid and Crona, don't kill me.)

Now if I have to choose a favorite official anime pairing that wasn't listed in this article...It would have to be Mytho and Rue from Prinfess Tutu. It's one of the pairings that really stuck with me as the development between the two of them was very tragic, making the happy ending they earned so much more satisfying. Rue's heartbreaking confession is still one of my favorite moments in anime, hands down.
tintor2

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:34 pm Reply with quote
My favorite is Syaoran and Sakura from Tsubasa spoiler[(the clones)]

Still, I hate Bee Train's adaptation

Also, I forgot, Haru and Ellie from Groove Adventure Rave
Cryssoberyl

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:09 pm Reply with quote
To Gabriella Ekens,

As an old-school Utena fan, thank you. I came here fearing the re-enactment of a very ancient battle. Ever since Utena's release, there has been a consistent conflict between those who acknowledge the (explicitly creator-intended) romance in Utena and Anthy's relationship, and the "they're just friends" deniers. In fact, for many years the deniers held sway.

If there has ever been a sign to me that some things about the world really have improved as I've grown older, it is that today, people are much more willing to accept and celebrate what we always knew. The story of Utena is, on its most basic level, a love story of two women - but of course, it is also so much more ambitious and sophisticated than what we have been trained to expect when the phrase "love story" is invoked.

With that in mind, I also wish to commend your general reading of the show as being very astute and on the level. I've witnessed and participated in Utena discussion and analysis for many years, and - as with any complex and multilayered subject - it is astounding how often, and in how many ways, people can miss the point or wander into interpretive dead-ends. With Utena in particular, there are many such pitfalls.

Such being the case, you can't know how refreshing and satisfying it is to see analysis posted here that I can wholeheartedly endorse. Thank you again, very much, for contributing your thoughts on Utena to this article.

Last edited by Cryssoberyl on Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:13 pm; edited 2 times in total
phia_one

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Great article! I definitely agree on Isaac/Miria. As for my favorite pairings:

-Claire/Chane-Baccano
Another poster already mentioned them and made great points. I love their interactions and was surprised how much I was rooting for them to get together.

-Re-l/Vincent-Ergo Proxy
One of the reasons I love this show is that we see their relationship develop over time and that they also learn and improves themselves along the way.

-Alice/Randall-Pumpkin Scissors
It's a shame this series didn't get a bigger following because it's a solid show. Anyway, Alice and Randel compliment each other so well. That, and I'm a sucker for height differences in pairings. They can pull each other out of a rut and are fiercely loyal to each other.

-Shuurei/Ryuuki-Story of Saiunkoku
Where do I start with these two? They are both great characters on their own, but together they bring out the very best in each other. Ryuuki could easily make the road for Shuurei and her dream easier in some cases, but he respects the fact that she wants to accomplish things on her own. Shuurei understood Ryuuki's potential and pushes him to be the best he can be.

Last edited by phia_one on Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
rizuchan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:28 pm Reply with quote
I love romance anime so this is a really difficult one, but I think I have to go with Tomoya and Nagisa from Clannad. While there are girls in the show I like better than Nagisa, I still don't think any of them are a better match for him than Tomoya. He helps her to be more bold and even somewhat less serious, and she gives him the love and loyalty of a family that he's never known and gives him motivation to do something with his life. They're just a perfect instance of opposites attracting.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
fanime99

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:14 pm Reply with quote
I thought of Kiddy Grade, which has many pairs, but the central pairing of Eclair and Lumiere is a special relationship, even though Eclair doesn't know it for quite a while.

I'm also a fan of Sousuke and Kagame from Full Metal Panic.

One other pair I wonder about is Kirika and Mireille from Noir.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:19 pm Reply with quote
@Cryssoberyl

At the risk of derailing the conversation too much, as far as the tv series is concerned, whether one sees Utena and Anthy as a romantic couple or just friends depends on how the viewer interprets it. Assuming Gabriella is mostly or just referring to the tv series, her interpretation on the relationship between Anthy and Utena is very well thought, but it is ultimately her subjective opinion.

I am on the side of those who see Anthy and Utena more as friends rather than lovers. I am not saying that my interpretation is the correct one, nor I am saying that Gabriella is wrong because one of the many, many beautiful things about Utena (tv series) is that things are too complex to be able to come up with clear cut interpretations.

I notice on your post, Cryssoberyl, that you seem to be saying that people who do not think that Anthy and Utena are a romantic pairing missed the point. I have gotten a lot of things from the Utena tv series, but that Anthy and Utena are without any doubt a romantic couple is not one of them. I don't think I am being dumb or naive because I reached a different interpretation on the nature of Utena and Anthy's relationship.

And the reason why I specifically refer to the 39 episodes tv series is because I consider the movie Adolescence of Utena as a very different animal.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7