• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Is Animation Only For Kids In The US?

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:57 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
mangamuscle wrote:

The only reason Cartoon Network does not repeat superhero series ad nausem (like Disney Anime hyper) is because for some schizophrenic reasons the executives at CN treat any property of DC comics as "acquired programming" unlike the shows they produce by themselves which are "original animated series".

I'm kind of confused as to why that's bad.

Allow me to illustrate this quagmire. You have company W who owns company C and company D. Company D makes some popular animated TV series and company C is a TV cable channel. Therefore for company C to broadcast company D's cartoons is a win-win situation that will bring more subscribers and commercial ads and therefore revenue. But lo and behold, company W wants that each company to have separate income reports (and a company that does not get enough income gets the axe!). So company C prefers to broadcast their own productions, even if they have less popularity, any income they produce will be theirs 100%. So instead of gaining 20 coins and distribute 10 to each, company C gets 12 coins and the other gets none. Meanwhile the competence does not care about this separate income nonsense and gets 20 coins.

Quote:
Avengers Assemble just kicked off it's third season with "Ultron Revolution" so Ultimate Spider-Man is no longer the only non 1 to 2 season show anymore.

Seems to me some people at Disney are feeling summer of 2018 is too far away and therefore they decided to make a new season to keep the franchise warm in some kids minds, not necessarily because it was a good business decision. Otherwise, why restart a series that had already ended?

Quote:
Marvel doesn't really have a direct to home video market for their animated properties or rather they don't have one with as much notierity and depth as Warner's/DC's and don't really need one.

Yeah, the bunko LN imprint thought about the same (who needs another series?) when Haruhi Suzumiya was all the rage. I am old enough to know that you never place all your eggs in one basket, what is popular and what not today is the has been of tomorrow. Steve Ballmer (the prior head honcho at microsoff) thought the ipod was too little a market to make their own and compete with apple. Wal-mart thought the same about amazon. So tomorrow marvel might curse the day they decided not to purse more aggressively the direct to video market.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:52 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
Well keep in mind Warner Bros Animation division can't keep an animated superhero show on television for more than a season or two which is why they make those movies which of course vary in quality and even their target demographics.

Actually, it's worse than that--For three years, Cartoon Network made the Superfriends the sole whipping-boy for their orchestrated campaign to bully Hanna-Barbera reruns off their network, by making sure the audience only associated H-B with Aquaman, the Wonder Twins, Jabberjaw, the Smurfs and Quick-Draw McGraw, and wouldn't miss them once they were gone.
Unfortunately, it worked too well...ON WARNER. No matter how badly Warner wants to corporately market DC, they still have that personal-demon on their shoulder telling them that any Justice League reference will inevitably remind the audience of kitschy 70's Superfriends jokes, and "Wendy & Marvin" and "Aquaman talking to fish". (One failed CN Justice League pilot had a Superfriends update taking the 70's Legion of Doom "Challenge" canon into the present day, and doing a new version of the "Secret Origins" back-in-time storyline everyone remembered from that series....Past-issue much, Warner?)

So Warner has two ways to try and fight their neurotic demons: Either fight them by overcompensating in the opposite direction and making their DC movies "Dark & Gritty", which created Zack Snyder, or give in with their Network-produced series and say "Okay, folks, we know you're laughing at it too", and turning Batman:TAS into the goofy tongue-in-cheek "Batman: the Brave & Bold", and turning Teen Titans into a CN retro-kitsch belch.
Direct-video DC Animation still does what it wants, and has DC writers who want to immortalize all the classic print-comic arcs For Fans By Fans, but Warner can't make money off of it on their own network without listening to that little devil-on-their-shoulder of their own making...
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:28 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:

Allow me to illustrate this quagmire. You have company W who owns company C and company D. Company D makes some popular animated TV series and company C is a TV cable channel. Therefore for company C to broadcast company D's cartoons is a win-win situation that will bring more subscribers and commercial ads and therefore revenue. But lo and behold, company W wants that each company to have separate income reports (and a company that does not get enough income gets the axe!).

Company W= Warner Bros.
Company C = Cartoon Network
Company D = DC Animation

Though for what's it's worth your win-win argument seems little more than a pipe dream when the total overall costs of these shows are factored in.

mangamuscle wrote:
So company C prefers to broadcast their own productions, even if they have less popularity,

Amongst who older, embittered animation fans complaining about how their kid's generation has it bad?

And ironically hated on some of the shows their lamenting about being canceled?

Like Teen Titans and Young Justice.

mangamuscle wrote:

Seems to me some people at Disney are feeling summer of 2018 is too far away and therefore they decided to make a new season to keep the franchise warm in some kids minds, not necessarily because it was a good business decision. Otherwise, why restart a series that had already ended?

While Assemble's existence is owed to the original Avengers movie it's pretty much been setting up it's own continuity while occasionally incorporating elements from the movie(s) into itself.

Ultron was introduced into the series long before Age Of Ultron dropped in theatres
Ant-Man had already been featured in a season 1 episode before his standalone film came out (though his identity as was unknown initially)
And of course Spider-Man showed up within the series at least once long before Civil War came out.

mangamuscle wrote:

Yeah, the bunko LN imprint thought about the same (who needs another series?) when Haruhi Suzumiya was all the rage. I am old enough to know that you never place all your eggs in one basket, what is popular and what not today is the has been of tomorrow. Steve Ballmer (the prior head honcho at microsoff) thought the ipod was too little a market to make their own and compete with apple. Wal-mart thought the same about amazon. So tomorrow marvel might curse the day they decided not to purse more aggressively the direct to video market.

They already have animated shows already on TV so they don't really have to pursue that market as much. I mean yeah when Batman TAS was on television it got Mask of The Phantasm and Sub-Zero but did Warner Bros. have to create these movies which were effectively higher budgeted and somewhat better animated episodes of the show? No.

The only characters I could see Marvel making animated direct to dvd films of is Fantastic Four & X-Men as they currently don't have any animated shows on the air....but with Fox owning the rights to those properties....I don't know.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Parsifal24 wrote:
I've thrown my hands up as far as trying to make Anime “respectable” to people I recently had a co-worker ask me for Anime titles so in between ticking off the standards like Ghost In The Shell and Akira I also included Astarotte's Toy! And Bludgeoning Angel Dokuro-Chan. As I think often times the problem is people get the perceived good titles recommended to them first so after they have seen those.

Than run into the more Otaku titles it ends up being a let down. Honestly it has become a both and not an either or thing as far as Anime for me and I think fans need to stop thinking that only if “mainstream” people respected what we liked than things would be better.

I don't think so and craving acceptance at the cost of “selling out” does no one any good. But I digress if Anime or Animation is not respected by the mainstream or not even noticed I simply shrug it off and carry on.

The less well-known stuff in anime is pretty far off the mainstream, so it can be quite confusing to them. That, and a lot of anime, if not nearly all modern ones, have a pretty young cast of main characters, which could give the impression that they are for children...at least until the less kid-friendly stuff appears, in which case it really gets confusing and comes across like the violent comic books EC Comics was producing many decades ago.

mangamuscle wrote:
Pot calling kettle black much? The only reason Cartoon Network does not repeat superhero series ad nausem (like Disney Anime hyper) is because for some schizophrenic reasons the executives at CN treat any property of DC comics as "acquired programming" unlike the shows they produce by themselves which are "original animated series". The only current series Disney Anime hyper has atm is Ultimate Spiderman, which is the exception and not the rule for your "more than a season or two".

They also have Guardians of the Galaxy and Avengers Assemble, though both seem to be pretty low-key series without much advertising. Neither of them are very good, personally.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:27 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
They also have Guardians of the Galaxy and Avengers Assemble, though both seem to be pretty low-key series without much advertising. Neither of them are very good, personally.

Not to mention renewing "Hulk and the Agents of SMASH", which may be the most insultingly flat-out moronic Marvel-based toon ever made. EVER. MADE. Mad
And that's including the anime ones.

(Disney Channel does have a problem with "treating Marvel for kids", and making the heroes bicker like their intended 12-yo. audience, since they're aiming for a cable demographic.
Back when Marvel was still relatively independent of Disney's MCU movie tie-in initiative, Disney Channel's earlier "Avengers: Earth Mightiest Heroes" and Fox's 90's "X-Men: the Animated Series" were considered the two best Marvel series ever made, live or animated.)
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:17 am Reply with quote
@leafy sea dragon The current Marvel toons are less than ideal (the animation is well done though) but they are making serious money. A return to the less film advertisement driven / sophisticated Spectacular Spider-man (the best one), Earth´s Mightiest Heroes and 90s X-men would be welcome, but going kidZ only 100% "worked". Sigh, the Disney merger is starting to mess with the company from the point of a long time fan as me. Oh well, DC to the rescue Cool ! Justice League Action looks great. Rebirth is also proving to be phenomenal. They even "fixed" Superman by going full late 80s / 90s, as BvS. The connected toon films should be rebooted next. The first good Superhero toon is lastly the forgotten Superman 1988:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superman_%28TV_series%29

@EricJ2 Nope. The Avengers: United They Stand and that 60s Spider-man über trash say hello.

Here are the Flintstones selling smokes, "for children":
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Minimimiau

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:34 am Reply with quote
I really enjoy this article. I can learn how anime really is in Japan. I have to say that in the past anime was mainstream and not like the article explain, a subculture.
vallum

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:13 am Reply with quote
Minimimiau wrote:
I really enjoy this article. I can learn how anime really is in Japan. I have to say that in the past anime was mainstream and not like the article explain, a subculture.

Please, don't believe in everything you read. The article has some flaws, as some here have already said.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:13 am Reply with quote
Forgot: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDMQ3tXNKgM is an up and comming youtube channel on the history of animation. The 1940s Fleischer Superman toon shorts had flawed writing but hot damn did they look amazing! This is Akira level quality and as influential.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:41 am Reply with quote
Paiprince wrote:
He should also know better as to how Japanese people behave in regards to hobbies (He keeps touting himself as the expert of all things Japanese culture and that they operate in some highly arbitrary hivemind right?). They're not going to outright call themselves as a moebuta just as much as a normal Western person wouldn't admit he/she is a bronie until you get to know them better. Japan has a lot of closet anime fans. Yeah, they're just going to mention One Piece, Sazae or even SAO or Shingeki because those are the safe answers, but you'll be surprised when you'll hear them talk about Nadesico, Strike Witches or Prison School while going out to drink. It all depends from person to person.

According to anthropologists Japan is a country that lacks its own sense of centrality so it's mainstream culture is defined by the leading foreign countries, in the distant past Chinese culture defined Japanese mainstream culture, now European culture defines mainstream Japanese culture, hence, the intrinsically Japanese like animation and comics, becomes stigmatized.

Its shows how third world Japan is in terms of mentality: only after the west began to show serious interest in manga that Japan opened up several manga museums.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Minimimiau wrote:

It occupies both existences, actually. In the mainstream you have your One Pieces Dragon Balls, Narutos, Pokemons, Chibi Maruko-chans, etc., but the otaku subculture really isn't as small as everyone likes to pretend. If there are a few million dedicated money-spending otaku/fujoshi/otome/etc. fans across the country, that's enough to keep the industry going through various forms of media. They've forged their own self-sustaining subculture, one that allows for roughly 80-100 new late night to exist every year.

America and the West in general doesn't have anything remotely like that for animation. The closest example would be all of those direct to video DC animated movies, but even those feel really sanitized and PG'd more than they should be. And then the counterargument brings up TV examples, they're all titles that have been around for several years already, if not longer, which parallels the mainstream for-family anime that have also been around forever.

There's no constantly rotating new slew of material, you just have to hope that you get an Adventure Time or Steven Universe once every 3 to 5 years. I don't have to wait that long with anime. In the case of a season with no good shows to watch (not a personal problem, I always find something) then I only have to wait it out for 3 months before another 20+ series are introduced. But even then, I could simply dig into the archives and pull out another 50 or more older anime I've yet to see. That kind of desire to grow backlogs with Western cartoons isn't something I think anyone really does outside of films or nostalgic rewatches.
Kutsu

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:19 pm Reply with quote
The issue is more in the lack of renewal in the mainstream. There used to be different shows you could associate to the mainstream for each decade :

-60s : Astro Boy, Kimba the White Lion, Gege no Kitaro...
-70s : Lupin III, Dokonjo Gaeru, Sazae-san...
-80s : Dragon Ball, Doraemon, Ashita no Joe, Touch, Dr Slump, Manga Nihon Mukashi Banashi, Urusei Yatsura...
-90s : Chibi Maruko-chan, Crayon Shin-chan, Detective Conan, Pokemon, Kindaichi, Slam Dunk...
-00s : Inuyasha, One Piece, Naruto, Atashin'chi, Pretty Cure, Prince of Tennis, Zatch Bell!...

Which new show really broke into the mainstream in Japan this decade ? Yôkai Watch, maybe ? And even then it never managed to challenge the old shows. In the past decades you had Sazae-san actually getting beaten occasionally by a recent show. It could never happen today.
Moroboshi-san

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:55 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
...but the otaku subculture really isn't as small as everyone likes to pretend. If there are a few million dedicated money-spending otaku/fujoshi/otome/etc. fans across the country...

According to Nomura Research Institute there are about 110'000 anime otaku. It appears that the "few hundred thousand of these fans" referred in the article is an exaggeration.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Otaku#Types_and_classification_of_Japanese_otaku
relyat08

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Moroboshi-san wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
...but the otaku subculture really isn't as small as everyone likes to pretend. If there are a few million dedicated money-spending otaku/fujoshi/otome/etc. fans across the country...

According to Nomura Research Institute there are about 110'000 anime otaku. It appears that the "few hundred thousand of these fans" referred in the article is an exaggeration.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Otaku#Types_and_classification_of_Japanese_otaku

That's from 2005, and is an internet study with a sample size of only 10,000. I wouldn't take it too seriously. And it is only in reference to open or self-identifying-Otaku. Closet Otaku is estimated to be as much as 20 times that. With casual anime fans, who don't identify as Otaku, but still support the industry at some level and keep track of what's new, being a substantial group on top of that.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:24 pm Reply with quote
It's hard to define how obsessive you must be to be an otaku. I was talking about that with movie fans in the US.

It's pretty much well stablished that watching movies is a mainstream hobby in the US. But, how many Americans are real movie otakus? I mean, the types that watched all Tarkovsky's movies and dozens of Bergman's and Kurosawa's movies. I would guess very few, around the tens of thousands, if not less. Even though hundreds of millions watch movies in the US only tens of thousands could be regarded as really serious movie fans.

You cannot use data like, the number of people that discuss movies on Internet communities to try to measure the population of movie otakus in the US and hence try to find out whether movies are mainstream in the US or not. Measuring the number of movie otakus in the US will not allow anybody to know whether movies are mainstream or not, only that there are a few people in the US with really serious interest in film.

In Japan, according to a Japanese guy I meet at MAL, there are about 4 million anime otakus, meaning, people who follow late night anime shows regularly. The 110,000 figure might be the number of really hardcore people that have watched thousands of shows. Anyway, it's not possible to clearly define what an anime otaku is, in that study they said the anime otaku would be people that identify themselves primarily as members of a group of hardcore animation fans, not all people who regularly watch animation.

One indication of the numbers who watch late night anime is the jump in Attack on Titan manga sales after the late night show aired, increasing annual sales by 13 million books.

Attack on Titan sales, before and after the late night Anime show aired in 2013:

2012 - 2,682,504
2013 - 15,933,801

Clearly, there must be a substantial number of people watching those late night shows, way more than 110,000.

Also, it's easy to come up with examples of mainstream serious adult animation in Japan: Princess Mononoke, for example, or the two Patlabor movies (according to Miyazaki the first Patlabor movie was the top rented movie in the Japanese military), Only Yesterday, etc.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 12 of 14