• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What Makes Magical Girls So Popular?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fenrin

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 10:54 pm Reply with quote
Still waiting on a serious mahou shounen Smile
Spike Terra
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 11:32 pm Reply with quote
The magical girl genre is currently my favorite anime genre. I tend to steer closer to shonen style magical girl shows as I'm a bit of an action buff. My favorite franchises are Nanoha, Symphogear and Prisma Illya. I'm also a big fan of shojo style magical girl shows like Cardcaptor Sakura and Magic Knight Rayearth. So I'm glad that in recent years there are more people flocking to the genre.

I kinda wish there were more magical girl style games available in the west. I mean we did get black rock shooter (which I have yet to play), Omega Quintet (which is okay) and Senran Kagura (which totally counts as a magical girl game in my eyes). But I wish there were more options.
AholePony

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 3:09 am Reply with quote
I always felt Genei wo Kakeru Taiyou was an underrated entry to the dark mahou shoujo genre. I like me some magical girls but I can never seem to get started on the old longer series like card captor Crying or Very sad
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 3:44 am Reply with quote
I think that I feel intrigued by the femininity, that characters can have it and be strong.
Guile

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 3:53 am Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:

However, at the same time, I found a Tumblr post saying that magical girl anime, while considered feminist by Western standards, are actually made to make little girls conform to very strict gender roles (Granted, I don't know how true that article is, and the post is littered with the OP cursing the living heck out of the person they're attacking, and I can't find myself taking it seriously because of that), enforcing the "girls have to be beautiful, sweet, demure, and love boys" ideal by presenting girliness as a strength. Apparently, the Japanese view feminism as not focusing on presenting either masculinity or femininity as a strength. But I only heard this from TVTropes and a Tumblr post, so don't take my word for it.

Even so, I still like some magical girl anime. I did have some bad experiences with the Precure fandom, so I'm staying away from Precure for a while.

The West has a very different view of what makes a strong female than Japan does. The west values masculinity over femininity so for a woman to be perceived as strong she has to act like a man and abandoned her femininity. Japan generally believes being feminine can also be strong so a magical girl wearing a skirt and dressing in pink doesn't mean she can't fight or be strong.
LightYapper

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 6:24 am Reply with quote
Honestly, I do find the article a little less informative without the mention of male demographics and MG series aimed at them. Otherwise, if it is retitled as "Why does magical girl series appeal to girls" or something, it's an enjoyable read.

So, onto your questions, Gabby. One general reason I love magical girls is that I like seeing girls kicking the baddies' ass. Which may be why I started getting into the genre from Nanoha and Madoka. It is then that I learned about Cardcaptor Sakura and Princess Tutu, two shojo MG series that I adore until now. Sakura for likable lead, and Tutu for deep storytelling. I really wish there are more MG series like these that doesn't overly rely on fanservice and such.

@lebrel
For you, I can only think of Yurikuma Arashi, if bear girls counts as MGs. That show also focuses on the girls' society, if also quite harsh.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 7:19 am Reply with quote
Darkabomination wrote:
The biggest western imports of the genre as of recent years are Steven Universe and Star VS. the Forces of Evil...
There's also Miraculous Ladybug and it's small if loyal following...

Similar to Ladybug in its French origins, there's also LoliRock, which is a much more traditional magical girl story. Where Ladybug falls into the kaito subgenre, LoliRock plays more into the Sailor Moon/PreCure superheroine subgenre of magical girls, with a few nods to the idol singer subgenre. It's actually very true to the magical girl genre in general, with its transformations, themes of friendship, light romance, and the strength that the girls, particularly main character Iris, learns to find within herself, even as she's still acting like a regular teenage girl. (It's on Netflix in both French and English, for the curious.)
Parse Error

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 8:03 am Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:
at least for general broadcast television in the West.

That particular section was talking about the history of the genre itself and not popularity in the West, so this shouldn't matter. It would be more fair to say that, at the time, Cutey Honey was not actually intended to be a Magical Girl series, even though it got retroactively included into the line due to its unsurprising yet nevertheless unintended appeal to the usual audience for that genre. However, it still led directly to Majokko Megu-chan, which deliberately folded the ecchi aspect for boys and the strong female lead that had caused Cutey Honey to catch on with girls back into the genre as it had previously existed, and in doing so formed the rough template for most of its successors, including Sailor Moon, which itself was a throwback to those tokusatsu influences first brought in by Cutey Honey that had become progressively more diluted, especially through the eighties. The anime adaptation of Sailor Moon also shared an episode director for several episodes with Majokko Megu-chan and at points recycled ideas from it wholesale, so all things considered, it seems fair to say there's a direct line of descent from Cutey Honey to Sailor Moon.

That said, the focus of the article falls primarily on the appeal of Magical Girls from Sailor Moon onward, so the historical omissions aren't such a big deal and the rest of the article was quite good for what it was attempting to cover. I think it would be nice to have a short series of articles on this genre, because not only has it been a significant staple of anime for a long time, there's also many different facets and bifurcations that could stand to be discussed. For example, just the topic of Magical Girl parodies alone would be more than enough to fill an entire article. Someone even wrote their PhD thesis on the subject of "Representations of Girls in Japanese Magical Girl TV Animation Programmes from 1966 to 2003 and Japanese Female Audiences' Understanding of Them." Male involvement is frequently either ignored or harshly criticized despite substantial influences going both ways, so there's plenty of underexplored territory there which could make for another interesting subtopic.
soundofsilence

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Cyclone1993 wrote:
Interesting and as far as I can tell, accurate article. But it does make me wonder if something like this could be done for why so many men like magical girl shows, especially since usually they can't relate to it. I love the magical girl genre and I know a lot of other guys who do, I just wonder why they catch on with guys so well as well. I think there's a lot more to it than just having cute girls. But an attraction to the genre might be different than an attraction to certain shows in the genre.

Why is it so important that boys and men be able to relate to a genre of work they read? Girls have been reading works aimed at boys and men since reading began. Magical girls are more rounded as characters than 'love interest' characters, maybe that's part of the appeal?
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 6:11 pm Reply with quote
This was an excellent overview of the genre. As for me, I've found that magical girl anime has been very powerful in terms of feminism.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 12:34 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
if a Pikachu transformed into a hot guy, would you date it?

That depends, would he talk like Detective Pikachu?
brunoais2

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 1:18 pm Reply with quote
How about anime like....

Ojamajo Doremi, for example? Is this only for girls? There's no fighting, there's no evil-being-who-wants-to-take-over-the-world. What's in this one that made it take 4 seasons, 1 OVA, 1 manga adaptation, 1 unofficial manga (IMO very good) spinoff and, very recently, a Light novel spinoff. This is, so far, the magical girl anime I've like(d) the most.

How about Fancy Lala? It is a way different kind of view of majokko anime. There's also no fighting like Ojamajo Doremi is but there's also not much weight into same-age friends. Instead, it is a run for stardom by a girl in a 9 y-o girl placed, at times, in a 15 y-o girl's body who got into show business by her own talent (and some minor boost from a "chance"). Here the magic is quite limited in what it does and what it is used for. It would be a kinda so-so series if it wasn't for the songs which are top-notch on my rating.

I'm not mentioning Card Captor Sakura or Madoka besides that I also really liked those series but I'd like to hear more about those two above.

What are your opinions here?

Last edited by brunoais2 on Mon May 30, 2016 8:15 am; edited 1 time in total
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Instead, it is a run for stardom by a girl in a 6 y-o girl placed, at times, in a 16 y-o girl's body who got into show business by her own talent (and some minor boost from a "chance").

Miho is actually 8-9 in Fancy Lala, not 6. But still, totally agree.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 4:38 pm Reply with quote
WingKing wrote:
jr240483 wrote:
not quite. while the yuri romance of uranus and neptune was the original in the magical girl genre,but what re triggered the staplepoint for this was the nanoha series and the very close relationship between nanoha takamachi and fate testarossa. in a way,it kind of pegged the way for madoka and yuki yuna to explore the yuri romance as the storyline. and from the looks of things, its the only thing fans of the genre wants right now,since its starting to look like fate/kaleid prisma illya will be going down the same road and explore the whole yuri romance as well.

I agree that Nanoha's had a lasting impact in that regard, but you can also point to Mai-Hime/Otome for helping push things in that direction too. That franchise's stock has plummeted over the years, so it's easy to forget how popular it was for a while in the mid-2000s (or that there was a time when people brought it up regularly in "best magical girl ever" conversations). The first time I watched Madoka, I immediately saw callbacks to both Mai-Hime and Nanoha in the first episode. Anyway, Mai-Hime came out the same season as Nanoha (Fall 2004) and had several relationships with a pretty clear yuri subtext, while Mai-Otome in 2005 went even further and pretty much dropped the "subtext" qualifier entirely. Meanwhile, Nanoha/Fate, though the earlier seasons definitely lay the groundwork for it, didn't really become a firm ship until StrikerS premiered in 2007 (and I remember there were still plenty of Nanoha/Chrono shippers at the time who weren't very happy).

cant be surprised by that. i sure was one of them. also the mai hime series isnt technically a magical girl series. sure their girls transforming to be sure,but its technically not what most people would think of when it comes to this genre. though you do make a point that the hime and otome series did pegged along the whole yuri base right alongside nanoha which is why series like madoka and yuki yuna went to it,and now its more or less becoming a staple point for other magical girl series as well,since as i stated a while back it starting to look like the prisma illya series is going that route since the whole "she is in love with his stepbrother" isnt having any traction with the fanbase at all.

Last edited by jr240483 on Sun May 29, 2016 11:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
notrogersmith

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 6:49 pm Reply with quote
I have one niggle:
Quote:
Coming out of this history, Sailor Moon combined magical girls and another Japanese genre, tokusatsu. As a genre of live-action TV aimed at young boys ...

Tokusatsu is no more of a genre than anime is. It just refers to live-action shows that are heavy on special effects. Furthermore, tokusatsu is not necessarily aimed at young boys. In addition to shows that are aimed at boys, such as the ones in the Super Sentai, Kamen Rider, and Ultraman franchises, there have also been shows such as Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon, aimed at young girls, or Garo, a so-called "Hyper Midnight Action Drama" aimed more at the seinen demographic.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5