• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Chinese Social Game Turns Historical Figures into Moe Girls

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sirdano1

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Really surprises me that you'll report on this crap but completely ignore Victory Belles.
ZanraiKid

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Alabaster Spectrum wrote:
I though Kim Il-Sung had the title of Eternal General Secretary. King Jong Un likes to go by "The Great Marshall". Anyway I love how he of all people got "that" character design.

I know, right? Kim Jong-Un wishes he looked that good.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 11:36 pm Reply with quote
Shenl742 wrote:
Back then the english unit of measurement was smaller than what France used, so 5'7" (Napoleon's actual height) ended being read as 5'2", and the old-timey newspapers and cartoonists went and had fun with that.

Ah, thanks for the clarification. I know of many other instances of things and people in history remembered for what their adversaries called them, so it sounds about right to me.
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 11:52 pm Reply with quote
Nothing like this surprises me anymore and before long there will nothing left in the world to turn into Moe Girls it will be a dark day for all of us. Crying or Very sad
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 12:06 am Reply with quote
AnimeLordLuis wrote:
Nothing like this surprises me anymore and before long there will nothing left in the world to turn into Moe Girls it will be a dark day for all of us. Crying or Very sad

You will get a moe girl of yourself. And I will get a moe girl of myself. We all will!
SereneChaos

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 1:24 am Reply with quote
Well this is pretty gross :/
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 2:41 am Reply with quote
"So it's a game in which male otaku are made to fawn over historical tyrants?"
"Basically, yes."
"That sounds... interesting. What is it called?"
"Meng Wang."
"Did I hear that correctly? Is it that sort of game?"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
omegaproxy

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 4:23 am Reply with quote
sirdano1 wrote:
Really surprises me that you'll report on this crap but completely ignore Victory Belles.

Wow.. this is just straight ripping off Kancolle, its not even funny.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 9:46 am Reply with quote
sirdano1 wrote:

ANN typically doesn't report on Kickstarter campaigns that don't involve established Japanese staff (from video games, anime, or manga) or involve localizing video games, anime or manga. If we do report them, they go to News. This is Interest.

There is a huge swath of "anime-inspired" projects, especially games on Kickstarter.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
sirdano1

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 12:58 pm Reply with quote
omegaproxy wrote:
sirdano1 wrote:

Wow.. this is just straight ripping off Kancolle, its not even funny.

If you want to call taking the same basic concept and adding strategic combat, a full story and dating sim elements a "straight rip off", sure.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
I think they could have gone without people like Hitler or Mao considering the atrocities they committed. This is not about PC per se but rather glorifying some of the most evil men ever.
Just because it may be free speech does not mean you should depict them. By this logic, should Americans make a game with a moe version of the Hiroshima/Nagasaki bombs? I don't think so.

I don't think any of the historical domain characters that were used didn't commit any atrocities of some sort in their lives but yet in spite of that no one's going to be all that upset at these depictions....well aside from anyone who idolizes these people like their cultural icons and those with easily offended sensibilities.
Afezeria

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 7:10 am Reply with quote
Guess there's no "Wtf China", "Only in China", or anything likewise. When some of the people in Japan did it though, yummy.

animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2012-12-03/world-dictators-transformed-into-moe-girls-in-book

Oh yeah, I'm not trying to incite flames or anything. 2012 is a while back, maybe the community has gone for the better, which is good.
Touma

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 10:26 am Reply with quote
Afezeria wrote:
. . . maybe the community has gone for the better . . .

Unfortunately, no. We still have people whose main contribution to any discussion is "Only in Japan" or some variation thereof.

As for the topic at hand, I do not understand the attraction of using the names of historical figures in games and anime rather than just having purely fictional characters in the same scenario. In most cases that I am familiar with the characters are entirely fictional except for the names.
It does not bother me at all, I just do not understand it. There have been some cases where the characteristics and abilities of the real person were used and I can understand that, but it seems like usually only the name is used.

I can understand why some might not like it.
Sometimes, as in this case with the Japanese reaction to Kim, it can seem to glorify someone who is thought of as an evil enemy. In other cases people might feel that it demeans and trivializes a cultural icon or national hero.

It might bother me if this was done with historical figures that are closer to me, such as General George Patton or Admiral "Bull" Halsey.
That could bother me not for philosophical or political reasons but because I know what those guys really looked like. It might cause some serious mental trauma if my mind superimposed the real faces on a cute moe girl or hot anime babe.

All that I really care about in these games is the character design of the girls.
I am looking forward to seeing if the Danbooru and Rule 34 artists do anythiung interesting with them. If the game gets popular enough we might even get some doujinshi.
I will be disappointed if nobody ships Julius Caesar and Vlad the Impaler.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Afezeria

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 10:21 pm Reply with quote
@Touma : Sorry, I can't quote you because I am usually surfing on phone and your message is too long for me to edit. Nonetheless, thanks for your reply. Too bad about that sort of people still existed. I guess the mindset to literally just blamed Japan for everything is somewhat either served as a meme or it is ingrained as part of an everyday assumption since Japan has always been called as the land of weirdo, whom possessed the mythical panty vending machine, and had the otaku culture that a lot of normies irked at upon looking. There's probably not ever gonna be a solution for the act afotementioned above other than to take it straight and kept it in yourself. Luckily, I'm not seeing much people used the term weeaboo here beside contained in a post 3, to 4 years ago, which is a letter I am absolutely against in using.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 10:57 pm Reply with quote
Afezeria wrote:
Luckily, I'm not seeing much people used the term weeaboo here beside contained in a post 3, to 4 years ago, which is a letter I am absolutely against in using.

Ah...I've noticed how virtually non-existent that word became during my recent years here on ANN. Thank goodness for that, as that makes Talkback a more pleasant area of the fora. Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4