• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond Is Unbreakable

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 12:52 am Reply with quote
not sure what the reviewer meant by saying that animal cruelty was over the top for this series. JBA has been cruel to animals since litterally episode 1, where Dio kicks JoJo's (the original JoJo) dog in the face and then later stuffs it into a furnace. We then see the falcon in stardust crusaders slaughter a couple of dogs, then the yellow temperance stand (the yellow slime one) eat a dog. Iggy is a dog and gets seriously wounded in his fight and of course earlier in this series the water stand guy eats a dogs face.

Come to think of it, it's almost always been dogs getting killed, and in this episode the dead cat isn't even a real cat. I wonder if the author didn't like dogs, or did like dogs and felt it would have more impact to see them getting hurt and killed.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 1:41 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Episode 6

Thank goodness it was a "kitten." Had it been a "puppy," you could dispense with the quotes, and the puppy.

Can't say I'm too pleased about bringing Kobayashi on board with the group. He's going to be nothing but annoying if he sticks around.

Iggy was but annoying in Stardust Crusaders and stayed around long enough to be mostly useless, even more annoying, and get stomped out by Vanilla Ice.

Though to Iggy's credit though he wasn't a slimeball.
Fadeout4

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 1:54 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Episode 6

Thank goodness it was a "kitten." Had it been a "puppy," you could dispense with the quotes, and the puppy.

Can't say I'm too pleased about bringing Kobayashi on board with the group. He's going to be nothing but annoying if he sticks around.

Iggy was but annoying in Stardust Crusaders and stayed around long enough to be mostly useless, even more annoying, and get stomped out by Vanilla Ice.

Though to Iggy's credit though he wasn't a slimeball.

Iggy was the group's silent guardian unsung hero. He saved the group from both the poison and exploding orange during Oingo Boingo. He saved the group from Anubis when the kid was about to throw the blade at their backs. He even indirectly (more like involuntarily) saved them from N'Doul. While his attitude at that point was mostly "I'll help as long as it isn't too much trouble for me", that attitude makes perfect sense. Before Pet Shop, Iggy had absolutely no reason to care about Dio or the Joestars. It wasn't until Pet Shop that he had a personal motivation to help at all.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 1:14 pm Reply with quote
^ Doesn't mitigate attempting to leave Joseph's team to die during the fight with N'Doul or constantly farting in Polnareff's face, and just in general not giving two damns about anything going on for most of the time he was with the team.

Even him deciding to help the team find Dio's mansion along with him to deciding to help Polnareff during the fight with Ice just felt like an 11th hour redemption on Araki's part.
Revolutionary

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 4:02 pm Reply with quote
#844391 wrote:
not sure what the reviewer meant by saying that animal cruelty was over the top for this series. JBA has been cruel to animals since litterally episode 1, where Dio kicks JoJo's (the original JoJo) dog in the face and then later stuffs it into a furnace. We then see the falcon in stardust crusaders slaughter a couple of dogs, then the yellow temperance stand (the yellow slime one) eat a dog. Iggy is a dog and gets seriously wounded in his fight and of course earlier in this series the water stand guy eats a dogs face.

Come to think of it, it's almost always been dogs getting killed, and in this episode the dead cat isn't even a real cat. I wonder if the author didn't like dogs, or did like dogs and felt it would have more impact to see them getting hurt and killed.

I've been seeing this since the beginning, too. There was another dog that was killed very gruesomely in SC (the dream episodes with the baby who had a stand).

I love JJBA, but this I really can't take. I love dogs, and the most recent one being a bulldog didn't help me at all. I don't know what it is with the artist and thinking this is cool.

I can forgive it with Iggy, since Iggy was a full-blown character, who died like any human character died. He wasn't a random gruesome murder for shock value.
bs3311

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Episode 6

Then I guess I can freely say that I would still feel a bit emotional for a puppy/dog. But kittens an cats dying get me balling in tears. And if I chose between saving a cat or dog, i'd save the cat. They're more human in my eyes.

Since the topic is about animal abuse in JJBA, even if I feel emotional for a fictional animal or character getting mutilated. I still come out of the show knowing it was fictional. Plus the execution of the scenes were done by the villains. Even Dio casually making a cat explode with a single shove. Though here in Daimond is much more shocking and gruesome since running over animals is a real life occurrence in the modern world. Once Kick a dog into a seizure, throwing in the furnace or ripping a dogs face or smashing cat guts in ppls food? Not at all. Though I can give props on its execution because it feels reasonable to feel guilt over, even if the viewer does not. A character like Koichi who is a more evolved gohan with better development as a character, would feel such guilt especially how roadkill is a real thing. Blurring the viewer and character making them feel fearful. But shock factor or not, its better than trying to use the concept of killing animals as a means for a villain to be more complex or somehow on right side of the times OR RUSH CHARACTER Drama/Development ala Psycho Pass, Erased or Grisaia. JoJo is aware its just pure clever fun that can drop even the most realistic thinking persons sense of disbelif, SO MORE DEAD FICTIONAL ANIMALS!
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 12:40 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I think we're going to see more of Hazamada (I'm just assuming this about everybody who appears in the opening)

Yeah that's a good assumption to have, but it makes sense that we would keep seeing villains multiple times in Part 4. As opposed to something like Part 3 or Part 5 which take place across a whole continent Part 4 all takes place in one town most of the people we've met up to this point, and will meet in the future, live in Morioh so it actually makes sense that Josuke and the gang would meet them multiple times throughout the story. It would be a little odd for them to beat a local and then the local just move out of town.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Renaming Surface sounds kind of excessive. If they could keep Aqua Necklace's name the way it is, why couldn't they keep "Surface"? There are non-musical ways to use that word, after all.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 7:52 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Renaming Surface sounds kind of excessive. If they could keep Aqua Necklace's name the way it is, why couldn't they keep "Surface"? There are non-musical ways to use that word, after all.

Because logic be damned.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 7:18 am Reply with quote
bs3311 wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Episode 6

Then I guess I can freely say that I would still feel a bit emotional for a puppy/dog. But kittens an cats dying get me balling in tears. And if I chose between saving a cat or dog, i'd save the cat.

...[some stuff I didn't quite follow which somehow led to]...

SO MORE DEAD FICTIONAL ANIMALS!

I just wanted to clarify that what I meant was that had it been a puppy in the bag, it would have been a puppy in the bag and not a toy, given JoJo's track record with dogs. I was not saying I don't care about puppies. Smile

Episode 7
Quote:
Hazamada is small, creepy, and angry at the world, whereas Josuke is strong, popular and always finding himself helping others. I don't think the episode is making any grand statement there...

It didn't really need to, since it already had Koichi make the grand statement quite clearly earlier in the episode, complete with contrasting him with his own nemesis-turned-disciple.

But wouldn't Jotaro's Stand protect him against Josuke's attack, even if Jotaro was unaware of the danger? I was kind of under the impression that his Stand didn't require his command to act on his behalf. Maybe I made that up, based on it protecting him in his jail cell without him willing it to.
Souther

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 7:54 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
But wouldn't Jotaro's Stand protect him against Josuke's attack, even if Jotaro was unaware of the danger? I was kind of under the impression that his Stand didn't require his command to act on his behalf. Maybe I made that up, based on it protecting him in his jail cell without him willing it to.

It seems Jotaro's stand has some self-awareness/follows Jotaro's subconscious commands, like Jotaro's stand protecting him during Dio's ability. But maybe Jotaro has to perceive a dangerous situation first. (Of course, the real reason's just to create suspense.)
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 1:00 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I just wanted to clarify that what I meant was that had it been a puppy in the bag, it would have been a puppy in the bag and not a toy, given JoJo's track record with dogs. I was not saying I don't care about puppies. Smile

The purpose of the cat in the bag being fake is to establish this guy as a deceiver and a con artist. Personally, I think it also establishes him as someone who will not harm anyone or any creature except the people he's conning. Hence, if it was meant to be a dog in the bag, I think it would've been fake too. And the latter would foreshadow that he has the compassion to become an ally of Josuke and Koichi.

I just figured Araki chose a cat to be in the bag because of the old cliché of throwing kittens into closed bags and dumping them somewhere. I remember seeing an old cartoon where three kittens were put into a canvas bag like that, for instance, then tied up and thrown into a river. You never really see it happen with puppies for some reason.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 1:57 pm Reply with quote
I think since that was its purpose, that's why he chose a fake cat. If he'd wanted to portray him as truly evil (trying to kill people apparently doesn't count), it would have been a real puppy. This being JoJo's, a fake puppy was never an option.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 2:08 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:

I just figured Araki chose a cat to be in the bag because of the old cliché of throwing kittens into closed bags and dumping them somewhere. I remember seeing an old cartoon where three kittens were put into a canvas bag like that, for instance, then tied up and thrown into a river. You never really see it happen with puppies for some reason.

Actually an episode of Tom & Jerry Da Razz had Jerry rescuing a litter of puppies that had been thrown into a river inside of a bag. Unlike the infamous episode of Heavenly Puss where the same thing was implied to have happened to a litter of Kittens who weren't so lucky....of course everything in that episode was revealed to be a dream though.

It's still messed up what people in those days were and even now are willing to do to animals for no discernible reason.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I think since that was its purpose, that's why he chose a fake cat. If he'd wanted to portray him as truly evil (trying to kill people apparently doesn't count), it would have been a real puppy. This being JoJo's, a fake puppy was never an option.

But he's not truly evil. (Killing dogs has probably become a running joke by that point though, like how Leomon gets killed in every season of Digimon.)

BadNewsBlues wrote:
Actually an episode of Tom & Jerry Da Razz had Jerry rescuing a litter of puppies that had been thrown into a river inside of a bag. Unlike the infamous episode of Heavenly Puss where the same thing was implied to have happened to a litter of Kittens who weren't so lucky....of course everything in that episode was revealed to be a dream though.

It's still messed up what people in those days were and even now are willing to do to animals for no discernible reason.

Ah, I remember that now.

I don't see this sort of phenomenon happening anymore, but maybe people just try to do it covertly. I just see dogs getting abandoned by the road. You'd think people get pets because they love them...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 5 of 28