• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Ace Attorney

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I'm not hating this, but I guess I don't understand the appeal to people who've played the game. If it's just the exact same cases and outcomes, with all the same beats, isn't it kind of boring knowing exactly what's going to happen next?

You can pretty much ask that question of every fan who has seen their favorite manga or video game or light novel or whatever get adapted into an anime that may or may not be faithful to the source material. I'm pretty sure the majority of those answers will be no.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:07 pm Reply with quote
Except that mysteries, which this seems to be a type of, generally have lower rewatch value than other types of stories, unless the characterizations and writing and other components are outstanding, which doesn't really seem to be the case here.

The only reason I can rewatch Conan is because after 800+ episodes, I don't even remember enough about the earlier ones to realize I've seen them before, let alone remember whodunit.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:38 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Except that mysteries, which this seems to be a type of, generally have lower rewatch value than other types of stories, unless the characterizations and writing and other components are outstanding, which doesn't really seem to be the case here.

Rewatching anything is something that boils down to personal preference.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Is it just me.....Or was this weeks ace attorney actually good?!?
I mean there was no horrendous looking CGI or animation.
They actually used some imagination and made some nice changes for the tv show that made it unique.
the characters were actually funny, the pacing was reasonable and the case is being shaped up nicely.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
I mean there was no horrendous looking CGI.

Aside from Edgeworth's car and the people in the gallery you mean?
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 12:45 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
I mean there was no horrendous looking CGI.

Aside from Edgeworth's car and the people in the gallery you mean?

I am referring to episode 5 not episode 4.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 12:39 pm Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:

I know you were but 5 still features unimpressive looking CG.
Animechic420

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Sigh. I'm dropping this. I...I just can't take it anymore. Mad
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 7:54 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:

I know you were but 5 still features unimpressive looking CG.

Unimpressive to be sure but it is not at all the bottom of the barrel swirl that it has been up until now.
n3koryuu

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 11:15 am Reply with quote
Kinda agree about episode 5 quality. Suddenly it got better and for once it looks good enough to watch Laughing Hoping it will get better and better, esp the last arc (was it called DL-6 case? cmiiw) since it's one of the most mind-blowing case of the series where
spoiler[Phoenix defends Edgeworth]
Valhern

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 11:24 am Reply with quote
A definitive improvement of quality here, the direction is only getting better and better for the adaptation. I just would wish they took out the Testimony and Cross-examination "faceoff", they are so close to each other it's jarring.

n3koryuu wrote:
Kinda agree about episode 5 quality. Suddenly it got better and for once it looks good enough to watch Laughing Hoping it will get better and better, esp the last arc (was it called DL-6 case? cmiiw) since it's one of the most mind-blowing case of the series where
spoiler[Phoenix defends Edgeworth]

Considering we're on Ep. 5 and Turnabout Sisters took 3 episodes, the Turnabout Samurai should end in Ep. 7, the case you are takling about is Turnabout Goodbyes, which should be from Ep. 8 to 10, the DL-6 case is related to it, like most if not all endgame cases, they have a relation with an old case. I sure hope we have the DS-exclusive Rise from the Ashes episode, you just can't say no to the Skye sisters. It's unclear whether they'll do it or not so far but I can believe.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 3:32 pm Reply with quote
I don't see any reason for them not to adapt Rise From The Ashes given the implications of that case better ties into the Dark Age Of The Law storyline that was the backbone of the 4th and 5th game's storyline. That and it would make a potential adaptation of Kenji's 2nd case and the 4th game's cases awkward.
Valhern

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 12:56 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
I don't see any reason for them not to adapt Rise From The Ashes given the implications of that case better ties into the Dark Age Of The Law storyline that was the backbone of the 4th and 5th game's storyline. That and it would make a potential adaptation of Kenji's 2nd case and the 4th game's cases awkward.

They could just make the Turnabout Goodbye be 4 episodes long, cut it at 11 episodes and wrap it up, we are not sure if they are interested in Apollo Justice or whatever that comes after, you're never sure how the production is going, but chances still are that they do animate it.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 3:00 am Reply with quote
Valhern wrote:
BadNewsBlues wrote:

They could just make the Turnabout Goodbye be 4 episodes long, cut it at 11 episodes and wrap it up, we are not sure if they are interested in Apollo Justice or whatever that comes after, you're never sure how the production is going, but chances still are that they do animate it.

That is possible....
However my personal theory is that we are going to get atleast the original trilogy animated. My reasoning is that they are going out of their way to speed through and not spend money on material covered in the live action movie but are increasing their effort and budget for material skipped in that movie. also they theoretically could all three games at the rate they are going, they would need to heavily alter/remove the tutorial case and probably third case of justice for all and skip the emma sky case
But by doing that they could easily fit in all the important parts of the triology that people really care about.
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 8:37 pm Reply with quote
I was a bit bummed the early episodes led me to get less excited about the show. But if they're all at this level or better I think we'll be in for a good ride.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8