• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Geneon USA to Cancel DVD Sales, Distribution by Friday

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:04 am Reply with quote
calawain wrote:
JackCox wrote:
Shame on the fansubbers and bootleggers who did this to Geneon, all of you have destroyed a great company.

Please let's not start this again, there was enough of this crap in the other thread.

You're backseat moderating, knock it off.

That said, everyone please keep the "fansub debate - oh no the R1 industry is collapsing" stuff to an absolute minimum in this thread.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:07 am Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
Well there goes my Saiunkoku DVDs 3 and 4 since they aren't coming out until December and January. Now I am debating whether I should cancel my 2nd DVD or not. Sad

I just wrote TRSI and cancelled all 1-4 of the Saiunkoku that I've pre-ordered. Perhaps I'm jumping the gun but I really don't want to be "emotionally" invested in the series when there is a possiblitly that I will not get the rest of the series.

It does look like I'll get the final volume of Fate/Stay Night. And I've invested Time and Money in Kyo Kara Maoh! & Shonen Onmyouji so I won't cancel those pre-orders yet.

But this still sucks.
kyokun703

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:07 am Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
I think that I'll write TRSI and cancel Saiunkoku. I'm not sure what the rest of my pre-orders are like but I will cancel that one.

Damn.

I'm going to keep mine on order for now, and hope that someone will pick up the remaining 7 discs. If worse comes to worse, I'll go the fansub route and watch the rest that way. I love this series so far, and will definitely buy them all if somebody else picks them up. Sad
la_contessa

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:09 am Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
Based on my understanding of the situation, Geneon will turn into a Kadokawa Pictures USA type licensing organization (Kadokawa Pictures USA owns the rights to Haruhi Suzumiya, contracted Bang Zoom to handle dubbing and Contracted BEI to handle sales, production and marketing, likewise they contracted ADV to do the dubbing for FMP!TSR and Funimation to market & distribute).

Do you think we're likely to seen Geneon making a wholesale deal (similar to what was going to happen with ADV, possibly separate deals for production and marketing/distribution), or deals for individual series like Kadokawa does? Do you think one method would take longer to get part-finished series completed?
Roy9076

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:10 am Reply with quote
Looks like I have to wait longer for Hellsing Ultimate and other shows I wanted to watch on DVD. Well, seems more like a halt than a cancel.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
bci110

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:14 am Reply with quote
Moogle-X wrote:
I agree with Tempest.

Based on the way things are worded in this letter, I think that this is perhaps only a temporary halt on products current and future as they reset since they had already dissolved their sales division and were in the midst of finalizing the ADV deal. Will they renew a sales and distribution department or go the Kadokawa route? It's hard to say at this point, but I do not think they are totally abandoning the anime market period.

Here's hoping I'm right. I have a few titles that are incomplete that I need to get the rest of released o.o .

Yeah, I hope with what both Chris McD and you said becomes true and Geneon USA becomes another Kadokawa. At least this way they'll still be active in the R1 market, just not as prominent as they were in the past. It seems given the situation that this might be the "best case" senerio for the company. Maybe a temporary halt in production will give them time to reasset their position and be more selective in future licenses (if any at all).

Whatever happens, the Geneon we all know and love is gone forever.
JackCox

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:16 am Reply with quote
But nonetheless this is horrifying, I really want Hellsing Ultimate 3 and I think The Gankutsuou box set. This is just a sad sad day.
kokuryu

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:20 am Reply with quote
Dangit - I was looking forward to getting Nanoha, and I'm glad I didn't order the other titles I was about to order yesterday - I would never have gotten them. This bites big time!

ARGGGGH!!!!
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:21 am Reply with quote
bci110 wrote:

Yeah, I hope with what both Chris McD and you said becomes true and Geneon USA becomes another Kadokawa. At least this way they'll still be active in the R1 market, just not as prominent as they were in the past. It seems given the situation that this might be the "best case" senerio for the company. Maybe a temporary halt in production will give them time to reasset their position and be more selective in future licenses (if any at all).

Whatever happens, the Geneon we all know and love is gone forever.

I don't think it's unrealistic to expect that most of Geneon's top-shelf titles - things like Hellsing or Black Lagoon - will be contracted out a'la Kadokawa.
W-General

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:24 am Reply with quote
JackCox wrote:
Shame on the fansubbers and bootleggers who did this to Geneon, all of you have destroyed a great company.

Fansubbers are not at fault. It's people who are too cheap to buy DVDs that are at fault. Don't use broad generalizations.

[Since the topic has been done to death, I will not permit any repeat of the fansub / bootlegger angle in this thread. -t (posts made after I started posting this will be deleted, but I won't punish people who posted earlier)]
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:26 am Reply with quote
I never thought I'd see the day. Still, I hope for the best, especially since I was looking forward to Nanoha and Guardian of the Sacred Spirit.

Last edited by Aromatic Grass on Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:53 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Midonin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:27 am Reply with quote
I hope someone else can get Nanoha and Zero no Tsukaima out there. I really wanted to get those series when they were released.
recca25

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:29 am Reply with quote
I have old geneon titles that I would like to buy such as Fighting Spirit Champion Road and X-Remix. Does this announcement mean that copies of old geneon titles will no longer be produced and so I should order old geneon titles that I need sooner rather than later? I would really appreciate advice on this matter.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:32 am Reply with quote
la_contessa wrote:
Do you think we're likely to seen Geneon making a wholesale deal (similar to what was going to happen with ADV, possibly separate deals for production and marketing/distribution), or deals for individual series like Kadokawa does? Do you think one method would take longer to get part-finished series completed?

I think they're going to try for a whole-catalog (avoiding use of the word wholesale here since it might be misunderstood) deal first, particularly for their existing catalog titles.

However my money is on them not finding a partner and ending up going the individual route the Kadokawa way.

Even if they find a whole-catalog partner for all their existing titles, would it apply to all future titles? Or would those be done on a case by case basis? I'd rather not speculate that far ahead.

Likewise, even if they found a whole-catalog partner for future productions, would it include production, or just sales, marketing & distribution? If it didn't include production, they'd still be similar to Kadokawa in that they'd be subcontracting production and S,M&D to different parties.

-t
CaptainAvatar

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:34 am Reply with quote
Well, the reverberations from this may be felt for quite a while. I would sure like to have been in on what went down with the discussions between ADV and the Geneon reps that led to Geneon's decision to pull the plug. I am sure they are going to be back ala Kadokawa, but certainly not for all the licenses they have. Hellsing Ultimate is the only series I was buying right now, but I was considering some others. Now it will be even longer until Ultimate continues, and I certainly am not going to invest in other series until I know whether they will be finished or not. In the short run until this settles out, this is going to kill Geneon sales, and if you want any of their shows already released, you better grab them now as I see most retailers not wanting to take a chance on being stuck with stock after the drop dead date they set for returns.

Ultimately, niche titles like Rozen Maiden will likely be affected, and I could see them dropping all underperforming titles from their plans. Sad day indeed, especially if you like niche titles like I do.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 22