• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Metroid Prime: Federation Force 3DS Game Delayed

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Isinfier

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:04 pm Reply with quote
That's far too long of delay to just be "balance adjustments." Considering the universally poor reception to the game when it was announced, something's up.

I'm still a bit mixed over the whole thing. I'm not too fond of the art style (although it's improved a lot since last year), however the premise seems pretty enticing. I hope it turns out alright.
DeSpawn

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:05 pm Reply with quote
I hope that the gods of gaming are listening and some how the game itself gets shelved or available to digital store (if it already isn't already) at a 5 dollar price point.

Its a cock tease for all the Metroid fans hoping for a new game or IP. Kudos for trying... but next time try harder and take my money

Sorry i'm still a bit bitter over getting burned before...
Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Heishi

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Well, I'm think it might be pretty good.

Considering this is made by Next Level Games!
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:19 pm Reply with quote
Considering the massive windstorm of negativity Federation Force got the instant it was revealed at E3, I suspect that there's more to this delay of the title than balancing issues...

Personally, I wouldn't want to pay more than $20 for Federation Force, if I wanted to buy it (which I certainly don't).
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:02 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully it's to change the name as well, it's not a Metroid game. It should exist as it's own game not connected to Metroid.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:24 pm Reply with quote
It's hard to ignore Nintendo's senility. They are making capcom type decisions at this point.

Old bird has money so no one really mentions anything. People that matter, not forum echo chambers. This game is obviously bad.
AkaRed

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 2:31 am Reply with quote
Nintendo should be ashame to bring us this insult and heresy to Metroid Franchise Evil or Very Mad

Wishing death on someone is not appropriate for these forums. --willag
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:39 pm Reply with quote
I don't know much about the Metroid series or its fanbase, but I have to wonder: What is the reason behind all this negativity? Plenty of other IPs get side games. I didn't see this kind of storm of bad press when Mario Party or Link's Crossbow Training came out. Sonic also went a whole generation without a main series game, and while Sonic R itself was kind of divisive, I remember, being a Sonic fan, the hype was immense that we were getting Sonic anything. And this is the SONIC fandom!

Have times simply changed?

I can see the anger behind Animal Crossing: Amiibo Festival: The trailer pretty much betrayed people looking for a main series game. But Federation Force is very upfront about not being a main series Metroid game. What's wrong with sub-series games?
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:09 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
I don't know much about the Metroid series or its fanbase, but I have to wonder: What is the reason behind all this negativity?

Simple: The fans were waiting for years for a new main Metroid title. The instant Nintendo debuted Federation Force, they were gripped with emotional shock.

Quote:
But Federation Force is very upfront about not being a main series Metroid game. What's wrong with sub-series games?

Oh, there's nothing wrong with sub-series titles being debuted. They're only a problem when they're being debuted during a title's drought. The last main Metroid title was six years ago (nine for those that dislike Other M).
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 2:36 am Reply with quote
But that's the thing: The Sonic series went without a main series game for the entirety of the fifth generation of video games. The only Sonic game released during that entire generation was Sonic R (not counting the compilation game Sonic Jam), and it was at least popular enough to spawn the "Super Sonic Racing" meme.

What is the difference between then and now? Is it the rise of "Internet time," with people having far less patience? (I suppose one possible argument is that Sonic R was released only three years after the last major Sonic release, Sonic & Knuckles, though the side game Sonic 3D Blast was released the previous year.) I remember those years...Sonic fans were getting so hungry for new games that they stopped being choosy in what they got and devoured everything Sonic that was released.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:23 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
What is the difference between then and now? Is it the rise of "Internet time," with people having far less patience?

That's seemingly the case. Thanks to the Internet, people are far more aware of new games being in development; thus, many expect them to be debuted a bit sooner.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:34 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
But that's the thing: The Sonic series went without a main series game for the entirety of the fifth generation of video games. The only Sonic game released during that entire generation was Sonic R (not counting the compilation game Sonic Jam), and it was at least popular enough to spawn the "Super Sonic Racing" meme.

What is the difference between then and now? Is it the rise of "Internet time," with people having far less patience? (I suppose one possible argument is that Sonic R was released only three years after the last major Sonic release, Sonic & Knuckles, though the side game Sonic 3D Blast was released the previous year.) I remember those years...Sonic fans were getting so hungry for new games that they stopped being choosy in what they got and devoured everything Sonic that was released.

Sonic Xtreme was a trainwreck from the start, it could not be helped, Metroid has no excuse. Sonic R was garbage though, people tend to hate the vocals but really that's only thing good about that game.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
That's seemingly the case. Thanks to the Internet, people are far more aware of new games being in development; thus, many expect them to be debuted a bit sooner.

Which must be why you don't really hear about that many games getting canceled either. Some go into development hell, but people at least expect as game to be finished in some way shape or form.

I still say the negative reaction to Federation Force is way overblown though. But it may be that I am not a Metroid fan and I don't mind waiting several years for a particular game. (For the same reason, I consider the complaints over delays of Mighty No. 9 to be overblown too. Issues about its quality I can understand, but does no one remember just how long The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time was delayed?)

Hoppy800 wrote:
Sonic Xtreme was a trainwreck from the start, it could not be helped, Metroid has no excuse. Sonic R was garbage though, people tend to hate the vocals but really that's only thing good about that game.

While Sonic R is not that well-liked now, I definitely remember some of the Sonic fans I hung out with liked it due to the fact that they had been starved of Sonic, as well as some online communities I hung out in at the time, in the sense that someone who hasn't eaten in a while will think everything tastes good.

But I guess the difference between then and now, something I still haven't come close to understanding, is that the longer a franchise remains dormant, fans of the past used to get hungrier for anything whereas fans of the present get more picky and choosy over what the next thing will be, and anything bad about the first new release in a while will get amplified, and it becomes all that anyone talks about. It's become the easiest way to create a broken base, it seems.

Heck, I remember when The Phantom Menace came out in theaters. Everyone was ecstatic and felt it was the greatest movie they had seen in a while. It was spoken in high praise much the same way people are currently doing for The Force Awakens. People were naming their pets Sebulba. The Tomatometer was even in the low 80s. It wasn't until around the time Attack of the Clones came out that the negativity came out to the forefront and it became shameful to like Phantom Menace (and the Tomatometer sunk when the movie was re-released in theaters).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1