• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - Macross the Universe

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GhostOfSide3

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:03 pm Reply with quote
Clicked on Tommy Yune's name for his ANN encyclopedia listing.
Quote:
"(2007-07-02) Pied by a disgruntled Robotech fan at Anime Expo 2007."

Literally lol'd.

Every time Macross and Harmony Gold gets brought up in conversation, a piece of me dies inside. That DVD Harmony Gold half-assed released last year that was supposed to have ROBOTECH (and macross) packaged together in a box set makes me so mad.
russ869

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:18 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
The first Macross was a bit of a spare-parts assembly. That disorganization gave it a unique quality from other Gundam-esque mecha shows, in that the characters had a bit of an odder battle to fight, and what happened during and after the battle took the story into other more original places.

Yeah, I always thought the original Macross TV show had a very unique style of writing that you don't really see anywhere else. I was shocked by how I was even finding it more interesting than a lot of writing of shows today (I first watched the original Macross in 2009).

As much as I'd like to hate Tommy Yune, I can't because of his work on the Journeyman Project games.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:17 pm Reply with quote
bumbayker wrote:
"Frontier had its dueling starlets, and now Delta has an entire idol team, who also happen to pilot Valkyries."

This isn't true though. None of Walkure's idols pilot Valkyries, at least not yet. The most we've seen so far is one of them ride on a Valkyrie in combat. But she seems to be the only one doing any superhuman feats.

Yeah, when I saw the promo pic for Delta, I thought the idols will be the ones piloting the Valkyries, but alas that's not the case. It would have been a HUGE step up of the franchise if you as me, but at least they play an active role in battles as attack supporters similar to the idols in AKB0048 (though they are missing mic sabers Wink ).
Desslok

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:31 am Reply with quote
maximilianjenus wrote:
robotech plus, robotech,7 and robotech frontier sound good too.

You know, if all they do is change the title card and the cover of the Blu Ray like they did for the aborted releases of Star Blazers 2199, then absofuckinlutly I am okay with this. As it is, I'm very tempted to pick up Delta after we get a couple more releases under us, get them all in one go and save on shipping.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 4:58 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The slipcover, which is both grandly evocative of the original and manages to feature characters that look nothing at all like their original, Haruhiko Mikimoto-drawn versions.

I'm almost certain that Haruhiko Mikimoto drew that new slipcover, too. For better or worse, his style has evolved a fair bit since he switched over to digital tools. (If you've seen "Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress," btw, that's a very good adaptation of his present style).
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 6:36 am Reply with quote
I wonder if anyone told James Wan that his "Robotech" film is likely going to be a Starship Troopers script punched up.

Or that it will likely never see the light of day.
Marzan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:35 am Reply with quote
I think you're being awfully generous to Harmony Gold. While I do not contest that they own the rights to SDFM fair and squaring, registering the rights to the Macross name worldwide and then squatting on it is guerrilla marketing and intellectual poverty of the highest order. I'd love for Big West to try this in a European court, were the rights of creators are more likely to prevail than in an American court were business is king.

Its surreal that I can sometime soon have a copy of a western release of Legend of the Galactic Heroes in my hand but not of Macross Frontier or Zero. And one company to blame.
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:53 am Reply with quote
I'm gonna ask the silly question here... but frequently you hear about "X" company licenses "X" title... then after a period of time "X" company loses or renews those rights...

Given the perceived animosity between HG and Big West.. Where does this stand? I highly doubt BW would renew anything at this point.

Or is this a case of their rights never expire? Which is odd.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
I wonder if anyone told James Wan that his "Robotech" film is likely going to be a Starship Troopers script punched up.

Or that it will likely never see the light of day.

After James Wan was hired for a Universal Fast & Furious sequel, Wan seems to have now put out his shingle with mainstream big-studios as the face of Instant Franchises R Us, for those looking for the same overnight six-film "linked universe" franchise-commercialization strategy as the Saw, Conjuring and Paranormal Activity movies. (If Warner really does make that Aquaman movie after BatVSupes, guess who they already picked.)

He's already got way too much on his plate now with real studios, than for private companies that have to raise Kickstarter just to remind us how much we hate them. Sort of like ADV still dreaming they'd be able to use "little, unknown" WETA for their Eva movie after the Tolkien films.
If (IF) HG raises the money to make theirs, it'll be some promoted SFX guy who needed the break.
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:04 pm Reply with quote
Stampeed Valkyrie wrote:
I'm gonna ask the silly question here... but frequently you hear about "X" company licenses "X" title... then after a period of time "X" company loses or renews those rights...

Given the perceived animosity between HG and Big West.. Where does this stand? I highly doubt BW would renew anything at this point.

Or is this a case of their rights never expire? Which is odd.

Most people/fans misunderstand the nature of Harmony Gold's stranglehold on the franchise. The big big problem is one of trademark. The name "Macross" and "UN Spacey" as well as the kite emblem of the UN Spacey have all been trademarked by Harmony Gold in all the most relevant countries around the world except Japan (and maybe China/Taiwan/South Korea). Which means that IF BW/ Studio satelight want to sell any kind of post sdf macross things around the world they have to pay Harmony Gold for the use of the name Macross.

Harmony Gold though does retain the rights to the animation of SDF Macross (and only this) for ever. But they cannot expand upon it since all other rights (characters, story, etc...) all belong to the japanese. That's why HG cannot use anything Macross in their aborted OVA/new series/film attempts. They cannot sell/license rights to things which they do not have. This is the reason if a live action film of "Robotech" is ever made it will not have anything even remotely similar to elements of SDF Macross neither in story nor characters nor mecha nor music.

So back to the trademark thing. Unfortunately for the Japanese, trademarks can be renewed periodically and basically can last forever. So unless the japanese change the name of the franchise to something other only for the purpose of marketing and selling in countries around the world (even if the franchise retains the original Macross name in Japan) they will have to compromise with HG. If no compromise is possible then no Macross product will ever be legally available to buy locally in the US/Europe/South America etc...
stowrag

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 3:57 pm Reply with quote
I'm still unclear though: with all the legal entanglements, how did the original Macross get a faithful release in the west back around 2012? With a new english dub with Vic Mignona and Monica Rial, (not to mention Mari Ijima)?

It seems like a lot of effort to go through.
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:28 pm Reply with quote
stowrag wrote:
I'm still unclear though: with all the legal entanglements, how did the original Macross get a faithful release in the west back around 2012? With a new english dub with Vic Mignona and Monica Rial, (not to mention Mari Ijima)?

It seems like a lot of effort to go through.

ADV sub-licensed it from Harmony Gold and it was in 2005.
Moonsaber

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Robotech 7, Robotech Zero, Robotech Frontier. Hell.. cut em up and make Robotech Legacy Zero 7. I'll buy it. I will buy it all IF you will give me the uncut legal blu ray release for region 1.

Are you listening Harmony Gold? Do what you need to do, do it well. But give us our Macross.

Personally, I bought and played the 30th Anniversary game in Japanese, imported from Japan. I'm old school, fell in love with anime watching Robotech on TV. It really hurts that the people who brought us that can't swallow their damn pride for the fans.
Covnam

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:46 am Reply with quote
Great article/write-up, I enjoyed the read (only read a little the last time I posted).

I've only seen the 85 eps of Robotech some years ago on The Anime Network.

All this talk of transforming mechs though makes me want to check out the series again. Any suggestions on where to pick it up again? Can I just jump in at Frontier or do I need to go back further?
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:00 am Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
Great article/write-up, I enjoyed the read (only read a little the last time I posted).

I've only seen the 85 eps of Robotech some years ago on The Anime Network.

All this talk of transforming mechs though makes me want to check out the series again. Any suggestions on where to pick it up again? Can I just jump in at Frontier or do I need to go back further?

Frontier should be an okay jump in point. It was for me. Macross Plus is not really relevant to the main time line, though it is a good stand alone show.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5