• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hollywood Reporter: Legendary, Warner, Sony Bid for Live-Action Pokémon Rights

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
revolutionotaku

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:44 am Reply with quote
I'm already waiting for it to come out on cable.
Sitensis

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:46 am Reply with quote
Ah, a new addition to my "so bad it's good" list :>
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:50 am Reply with quote
Rather it be a live-action YuGiOh, so we can actually have a story, instead of an infomercial.
Somer-_-

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:53 am Reply with quote
Oddly optimistic about this. I wonder if these hopes will be dashed.
martinic

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:59 am Reply with quote
Prepare for the cringe
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:24 am Reply with quote
Can we get this instead, Hollywood? Rolling Eyes
Fenrin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:54 am Reply with quote
I'm still more optimistic about this than the supposed Naruto live action (what's going on with that?)
Pokemon has the perfect formula for original storyline after all, just plop the main character into any one of the regions.
I have no faith whatsoever that they're actually going to see this through though, but it's fun to speculate.
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:59 am Reply with quote
Hope it turns out better than Jellyfish Eyes.
Melicans

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:13 am Reply with quote
Bell02 wrote:
I wonder what WaterPokemonMaster (webmaster of PokeBeach) thinks about this news. It's been his dream since he was a kid to work on such. If these studios are in a bidding war, then I think now is the time to start calling up on connections and getting concepts out there.

There is no chance in hell that Jon Sahagian will be allowed anywhere near any element of that film. Not after being told to remove leaked game images and his snarky response, or the years of hell he put the US branch of the Pokemon Company through by leaking promos months in advance. It may be his dream, but he wrote himself out of that script a decade ago.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:22 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

He's from a place called Kanto, as in the Kanto region of Japan!

Stop oppressing the Japanese! Those poor people that are looking to willingly sell the rights to American producers to do what they will and will be compensated monetarily! SO OPPRESSED.

Dude wth? I can understand your argument for "Special snowflakes" in a lot of situations but seriously..are you white? Do you not realize how screwed over Asians actually get in Hollywood? We hardly get opportunities at all to even BE in films and when Asian products get brought over, they completely change everything to allow white actors instead of Asians. Black people protesting the award shows and such becaues none of their roles were nominated was silly. At least they HAD roles. They get major roles quite often. Hell, even a side-kick would be nice...but that's so rare now days for Asians. Asians are ignored, rewritten, and replaced far more often than other races in Hollywood. They have a right to complain when their best opportunities are given to white people for no good reason.
revolutionotaku

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:42 am Reply with quote
This sounds a lot like another Hollywood cash-in.
robertbaldie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:07 am Reply with quote
When this does eventually get made, a huge part of what will make-or-break it will be how the (most-likely) CG Pokemon look.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:27 am Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
Why do I get the feeling that the conditions under which the rights would be given would go grossly in favor of Nintendo and the Pokemon Company? I can't really see them giving those rights over without a TON of caveats.

The Pokémon Company moreso than Nintendo, they've had a history of being very protective of their IPs. Notice that Nintendo is one of the few geek companies to have never licensed out to Funko, for instance.

It does make me wonder how this live-action movie would play out. I can imagine huge clashes between The Pokémon Company executives and the Hollywood executives, both of whom have been used to getting their way for their whole business lives.

Kougeru wrote:
Dude wth? I can understand your argument for "Special snowflakes" in a lot of situations but seriously..are you white? Do you not realize how screwed over Asians actually get in Hollywood? We hardly get opportunities at all to even BE in films and when Asian products get brought over, they completely change everything to allow white actors instead of Asians. Black people protesting the award shows and such becaues none of their roles were nominated was silly. At least they HAD roles. They get major roles quite often. Hell, even a side-kick would be nice...but that's so rare now days for Asians. Asians are ignored, rewritten, and replaced far more often than other races in Hollywood. They have a right to complain when their best opportunities are given to white people for no good reason.

Then they should be complaining, and as loudly as possible. Hollywood is one big shouting contest, after all. Anyone who quietly and reluctantly accepts something will not be able to compete with someone who actively and constantly draws attention to themselves.

On the other hand, it's arguable that the entire country is like this. Asians are talked about far less during the Civil Rights Movements, as there weren't any larger-than-life figures who drew national attention like you had with Martin Luther King Jr., Cesar Chavez, or Rosa Parks.
Fenrin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:14 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:

Then they should be complaining, and as loudly as possible. Hollywood is one big shouting contest, after all. Anyone who quietly and reluctantly accepts something will not be able to compete with someone who actively and constantly draws attention to themselves.

Just to point out what someone's mentioned before on a different forum about this topic, most Asian countries have a culture of not wanting to draw attention to themselves, hoping that problems will eventually be smoothed out. The whole collectivist vs. individualist type of society thing. Although it may be a little different for Asian Americans, but I imagine they have a similar mentality from their upbringing. It's definitely not an ideal mentality to have in this very vocal society.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:31 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

He's from a place called Kanto, as in the Kanto region of Japan!

Stop oppressing the Japanese! Those poor people that are looking to willingly sell the rights to American producers to do what they will and will be compensated monetarily! SO OPPRESSED.

I agree that there needs to be more Asian leads, because Hollywood has boiled down the Asian experience as "math and kung fu", and has pushed even further storylines where white folks come in and become innately superior to things Asians originated (so even those things we stereotype them as good at is taken).

Make no mistake: the GitS movie should have a Japanese-American lead. But it never was going to. No Japanese-American lost the role to ScarJo. And the casting of her in the role is not some grand oppression, it's just a marketing decision made to pander to the actresses' popularity in popular franchise movies thanks to her role as Black Widow. It's not a conscious racist decision, it's all about branding.

I will say what I say about how some anime dubbing studios oversimplify or write over Japanese elements in their English versions of anime: it's insulting and insensitive to the source material. But is it OPPRESSIVE? No. It's just in poor taste. And doing things in poor taste is not the same as oppression.

This casting, and any potential casting this live-action Pokemon movie might have, are going to be based on marketing cynicism, not some malicious hatred for Asians. And the Japanese rights holders are willingly signing over these rights for monetary compensation, not under duress.

If Game Freak/Nintendo/whoever is super concerned about white people being the cast of a Pokemon movie, they wouldn't even consider licensing it to an American company. They're not hurting for money and anybody with half a brain is going to figure an American movie studio is going to do what every American movie studio does. They're going into this with their eyes wide open.

Take it up with Nintendo. I don't think the Japanese executives feel very "oppressed" by the money they're being offered.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4