• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - First Impressions: Star Fox Zero

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paul Soth

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:13 pm Reply with quote
To me, the God of War series is best described as "large angry man fucks shit up" and to be played as such. I won't hold up the games as shining exemplars of the medium, but I have enjoyed them the same way one would watch trashy 80's drive-in fodder. Accept that it has no redeeming value, keep your expectations low and have fun brutalizing mythical creatures. Just remember to turn your brain back on when you're done.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 1:23 am Reply with quote
Paul Soth wrote:
To me, the God of War series is best described as "large angry man fucks shit up" and to be played as such. I won't hold up the games as shining exemplars of the medium, but I have enjoyed them the same way one would watch trashy 80's drive-in fodder. Accept that it has no redeeming value, keep your expectations low and have fun brutalizing mythical creatures. Just remember to turn your brain back on when you're done.

Considering how notoriously difficult (and interactive) the games are you're kind of going to
want to leave your brain turned on Wink
NearEasternerJ1

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 3:33 am Reply with quote
God of War isn't bad because of its "plot" or "characterization". It's bad because it's bad. The gameplay is bad.

Stop focusing on story. Focus on gameplay. We live in a world where Americans and Brits think TLOU is better than Super Mario 3D World. That's obviously not true.
MajorZero

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:27 am Reply with quote
NearEasternerJ1 wrote:
.Stop focusing on story. Focus on gameplay. We live in a world where Americans and Brits think TLOU is better than Super Mario 3D World. That's obviously not true.

Right, because everyone must like same things as you. And how do you compare action-adventure/survival game to platformer in a first place?

Next time I'll see someone praising Fire Emblem I'll butt in and tell this poser that they should play Crusader Kings II or something.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:48 am Reply with quote
The funny part is, is that 3D World is basically a repurposed 3D Land which was the better game of the two.

But yeah how dare we American and British gamers not show our immense appreciation
for another Mario game that doesn't even bring anything new to the table aside from
4 player (local) co-op and a cat costume powerup (that's not that good).
Waffitti

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 1:25 pm Reply with quote
hey Todd, when it comes to mouse-over text on segments written by guest writers, do you handle those alongside the other ones or does the guest work on them as well? Has any guest actively asked to write them?
Paiprince

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:30 pm Reply with quote
All this hullabaloo about God of War and I'm the only one who wants to talk about Alchemist's demise. Rolling Eyes

At first, them filing for bankruptcy was just one of those April Fools jokes companies LOVE to troll people with, but after checking their recently pulled news page, that just confirmed it all. Sad they closed doors. Galgun was a very creative take on a genre that is stuck in limbo with only Time Crisis barely pushing it to relevancy. Hopefully Inti Creates saves the series and gives it to another capable studio. Hoping the sequel makes for a modest success overseas to raise awareness for this really fun game.
falcon.punch

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Star Fox Zero I think it will either a hit or a miss.

I am glad that Leynos is gonna be localized.

Don't care about God of War in the absolute, played the games a little while and bored me.

To the comments above me, The Last of Us is also super average like 3D World, not impressive imo.
Vanadise

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Paiprince wrote:
Sad they closed doors.

While this is bad news for them, it's important to remember that filing for bankruptcy is not the same as shutting down or going out of business. It basically means that they owe more debt than they can pay right now, and they are asking the legal system to grant them a reprieve from paying the debts they owe while they try to get more money.
MajorZero

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:38 pm Reply with quote
Paiprince wrote:
Galgun was a very creative take on a genre that is stuck in limbo with only Time Crisis barely pushing it to relevancy.

Um, if memory serves me right, last few Time Crisis games were critical and commercial failures. I think it's fair to say that HotD: Overkill was the last game in the genre which received enough attention from critics and audience alike, they even released Typing of the Dead, probably most creative take on genre in existence.
Paiprince

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:54 pm Reply with quote
Vanadise wrote:
Paiprince wrote:
Sad they closed doors.

While this is bad news for them, it's important to remember that filing for bankruptcy is not the same as shutting down or going out of business. It basically means that they owe more debt than they can pay right now, and they are asking the legal system to grant them a reprieve from paying the debts they owe while they try to get more money.

Right, but the chances of them getting out of the red is very low, especially in today's volatile gaming industry.

MazorZero wrote:
Um, if memory serves me right, last few Time Crisis games were critical and commercial failures. I think it's fair to say that HotD: Overkill was the last game in the genre which received enough attention from critics and audience alike, they even released Typing of the Dead, probably most creative take on genre in existence.

Who said anything about critical and commercial failures? The overall concept of shooting zombies back to dead in rail shooters has been done to death. Gal Gun's schtick is to shoot your targets to love you. Combining a rail shooter with dating sim-esque elements is the more unique product to me.
MajorZero

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:32 pm Reply with quote
Paiprince wrote:
Who said anything about critical and commercial failures?

Well, you said Time Crisis makes genre relevant, I'm just pointing out to the fact that Time Crisis itself was hardly relevant in the course of the whole generation. Overkill was the last release to gain any positive attention. There's also underappreciated Disaster: Day of Crisis, but it's garnered rather mixed reception.

Actually, Wii had quite a few rail gun/light gun games. Umbrella Chronicles, Darkside Chronicles and DS: Extraction come to mind.
Quote:
The overall concept of shooting zombies back to dead in rail shooters has been done to death. Gal Gun's schtick is to shoot your targets to love you.

You don't shoot anyone in Typing of the Dead and this is what makes this take on the genre so unique.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:56 am Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:

Man there's so much that the game companies COULD DO. I mean where's the best Castlevania game? Always on the handhelds.

Symphony of the Night - it's available on consoles. Heck, it's already on XB1 Backwards Compatibility:

http://www.polygon.com/2016/3/17/11255376/alan-wake-castlevania-symphony-of-the-night-pac-man-xbox-one
Paiprince

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:25 am Reply with quote
MajorZero wrote:
Paiprince wrote:
Who said anything about critical and commercial failures?

Well, you said Time Crisis makes genre relevant, I'm just pointing out to the fact that Time Crisis itself was hardly relevant in the course of the whole generation. Overkill was the last release to gain any positive attention. There's also underappreciated Disaster: Day of Crisis, but it's garnered rather mixed reception.

Actually, Wii had quite a few rail gun/light gun games. Umbrella Chronicles, Darkside Chronicles and DS: Extraction come to mind.
Quote:
The overall concept of shooting zombies back to dead in rail shooters has been done to death. Gal Gun's schtick is to shoot your targets to love you.

You don't shoot anyone in Typing of the Dead and this is what makes this take on the genre so unique.

Yet your enemies are still zombies and monsters and death is still a thing...and in regards to Time Crisis, they just released a new game whereas HOTD hasn't recently. Reviews and word of mouth are irrelevant in this respect.

The fact is that what sets Galgun apart is that instead of you targeting things that are out to kill you, you are targeting things that are out to love you. It's that simple yet so unexplored in the rail shooter genre. The only other unique take to rail shooters I can recall is Elemental Gearbolt which mixes in RPG elements and having a really surreal plot behind the game.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
Regarding the God of War series: Kratos isn't *supposed* to be likeable. He's *supposed* to be a total jerk. If you look at what most of the Greek "heroes" were like (and there are notable exceptions), they were total asshats.

Kratos does appeal very well to angsty and frustrated teens though. I am certain that it's why he got so popular. (I heard he's very hated in Japan though. Japanese angst must be different from American angst.)

Just like the GTA series, the God of War series is effective for these people to vent out their grievances by wrecking things in-game.

Todd compares them to 90's comic book anti-heroes, and I'd say he's right. Kratos basically follows in their spirit, and as long as there are angsty and frustrated teens, there will be a major market for this sort of fiction.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3