• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fullmetal Alchemist Novels: Worth Picking Up?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Novels
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Full_Metal1923

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:47 pm Reply with quote
It's great that we have this board now. Very Happy

I have a question for those who've read the Fullmetal Alchemist novels. As an FMA fan (an FMA obsessed fan) my goal is to own all the anime episodes and manga (and potentially the OSTs if I can get them). The one thing I'm not sure about picking up are the novels.

So my question is are they worth picking up? Do they fill any plot side stories or anything of the sort? Hiromu Arakawa may not have written it but it still has the potential to be good so please tell me about them. Thanks in advance.
population_tire

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 5:30 pm Reply with quote
I have read the first 3. I think they are a great addition to the fullmetal world. I found the second book boring, but 1 and 3 were great. I'm glad Viz is releasing 4 & 5 (especially since vol. 15 doesn't come out until december Evil or Very Mad)
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Yes, I highly recommend the Fullmetal Alchemist novels. I have also read three volumes; each feels like a real part of the world created by Arakawa, especially since the first book was animated.

Marina Inoue is a skilled writer. I had no trouble immersing myself into all three stories. In my opinion, each story has been a better read than the last. There are a few extras in the end by Arakawa just like those in the manga that will make you laugh. Reading the novels was an overall pleasing experience -- very much worth the buy. Smile

*1000 posts*
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Full_Metal1923

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 11:40 pm Reply with quote
Alright thanks a lot. I'm hopefully going to my local Indigo to find Vol. 1 of the manga (damn that book, it's been hiding from me for almost a year). So I can probably get one of the novels as well. Thanks a lot.

One question though I've only seen the anime (because I've been trying to find Vol. 1 of the manga so I haven't read the other volumes that I bought). Will that be a problem?
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 11:45 pm Reply with quote
Full_Metal1923 wrote:
One question though I've only seen the anime (because I've been trying to find Vol. 1 of the manga so I haven't read the other volumes that I bought). Will that be a problem?

Nah, they're completely separate stories. It's good that you've at least seen the anime, because Vol. 1 (novel) is actually where the idea of Russell and Fletcher originated.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Full_Metal1923

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 11:56 pm Reply with quote
Ah, the Tringham Brothers! Thanks a lot. It's great to get good news when you return to ANN. Very Happy
Full_Metal1923

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Awesome! I got FMA Vol. 1 The Land of Sand novel today. I plan to start reading it later tonight. Very Happy
naru girl

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Yes!!!!!! fullmetal Alchemist novels.are very very. good topick up.
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:27 pm Reply with quote
population_tire wrote:
I'm glad Viz is releasing 4 & 5

I just saw the fourth book in the store the other day and was quite surprised. I completely forgot that there was more than the first three. Now I'm mad that I don't have it yet, but I'm also excited that there's more to read. I've been away from a book store (or any store) for about four months.... Anime cry Now to catch up!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Novels All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1