• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Japan Cabinet Office Posts Manga to Convey the Dangers of Drug Use

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:50 am Reply with quote
Never used marijuana my entire life and I could tell in an instant that the manga is exaggerating its effects to a huge extent.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:55 am Reply with quote
I could go for a manga adaptation of "Reefer Madness", drawn by Junji Ito. Now that would be a mind trip.
Paiprince

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Lostlorn Forest wrote:
If you're heated about a comic illustrating a stern outlook on drugs, no matter how soft they may be, you're living in a privileged society.

This. I'm fine with how people want to spend their time, but having spent time with drug junkies, you end up getting soured on the whole thing. I don't want the rest of the world to be an Amsterdam.

Oh, and it seems like Marijuana is legal in North Korea. Subtle demonizing of the Hermit Kingdom at work here.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Paiprince wrote:
This. I'm fine with how people want to spend their time, but having spent time with drug junkies, you end up getting soured on the whole thing. I don't want the rest of the world to be an Amsterdam.

People ask why I'm against drug legalization, I answer with only two words:
"CARTOON NETWORK." Shocked

Being an anime fan doesn't endear me to their cause any additionally.

Chrno2 wrote:
I could go for a manga adaptation of "Reefer Madness", drawn by Junji Ito. Now that would be a mind trip.

Although it would be nice if users had more recent straw-man arguments than those dating back to 1932.

(I kept thinking the Reefer director was the same looney director who tried to turn 1934's "Maniac" into a "parents-warning" docu-exploitation after horror B-movies started coming under fire. My mistake, he'd done another marijuana-warning B-movie but not Reefer.
But if you watch all three, you realize, it wasn't "society" encouraging all that hysterical overacting, it was...the kind of directors you got on those movies. They had lunatic grindhouse directors back then, too.)
TheFullmetalOne

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:36 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
leafy sea dragon wrote:
My thought on this: This is so outlandish and cartoonish that no one it's aimed at will take it seriously. The Spider-Man anti-smoking story did it better.

Even the artwork looks like it's from the late 70's. (By manga standards.)
Although, TBH, I hear "Government produced anime/manga", and that's sort of the level on which I picture it. Sort of their equivalent of our Reagan-era "Cartoon All-Stars Against Drugs".

Dude, I remember that! I saw it in Second Grade! I feel old now. Embarassed
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Lostlorn Forest wrote:
If you're heated about a comic illustrating a stern outlook on drugs, no matter how soft they may be, you're living in a privileged society.

People can't be mad at how grossly the comic exaggerates the dangers
of using said drugs?

Paiprince wrote:

In turn the rest of the world shouldn't be like some of these East Asian/Western countries that demonize drug use or even drug running/drug selling as a crime on par with walking up to somebody and blowing their brains out.
Lostlorn Forest

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:31 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
People can't be mad at how grossly the comic exaggerates the dangers
of using said drugs?

You can do whatever you want, I'm just saying that bottom of the line is they're trying to prevent as much loss of life as possible, and we should be grateful that there are people looking out for our safety to such an extent. Drugs are more harmful than comics anyway, worst case scenario is people stop using them.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:05 pm Reply with quote
Lostlorn Forest wrote:

You can do whatever you want, I'm just saying that bottom of the line is they're trying to prevent as much loss of life as possible,

If they wanted to do that then maybe they shouldn't have done so by using marijuana the least harmful drug you can put in your system to attempt to do that rather poorly and untruthfully.

Lostlorn Forest wrote:

and we should be grateful that there are people looking out for our safety to such an extent.

I'd be grateful you know if the entire process weren't pointless, didn't require they outlaw the sale, consumption, & even ownership of drugs that aren't even as dangerous as others are, didn't lead to users and owners of even the least harmful drugs being sentenced to lengthy prison sentences. And you know if Tobacco and Alcohol both of which are considerably more dangerous substances in the long and short term weren't you know........legal.

Last edited by BadNewsBlues on Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:22 pm Reply with quote
Lostlorn Forest wrote:
You can do whatever you want, I'm just saying that bottom of the line is they're trying to prevent as much loss of life as possible, and we should be grateful that there are people looking out for our safety to such an extent. Drugs are more harmful than comics anyway, worst case scenario is people stop using them.

The amount of harm drugs do is debatable, and a bigger factor is moderation in its use, as well as the quality of the source. As BadNewsBlues mentioned above, marijuana is the least harmful drug, and that's true both psychologically and physically, with tobacco and alcohol both more harmful in both categories. And they're not only both legal, alcohol is pretty much required for adult socialization in Japan (as another Answerman column pointed out).

I should point out that I am not against these anti-drug public service announcements. I consider their existence very valuable in making sure the mainstream remembers addictive substances are, well, addictive. However, in cases like this, the story is grossly uninformed, exaggerated, and likely poorly written. It's the manga equivalent of those American stories where some kid finds a bigger kid who desperately and aggressively wants to give his cocaine or meth or even weed to every kid who passes by. It's not grounded in reality, which is what's needed for a convincing PSA story.
Lostlorn Forest

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:36 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
I should point out that I am not against these anti-drug public service announcements. I consider their existence very valuable in making sure the mainstream remembers addictive substances are, well, addictive. However, in cases like this, the story is grossly uninformed, exaggerated, and likely poorly written. It's the manga equivalent of those American stories where some kid finds a bigger kid who desperately and aggressively wants to give his cocaine or meth or even weed to every kid who passes by. It's not grounded in reality, which is what's needed for a convincing PSA story.

You guys bring up fair points and I definitely don't deny them. It's all the more reason however to ignore it, since no one will take it seriously. They should have went with harder drugs or just alcohol then. I never said it was grounded in reality only that there are worse things worthy of complaint, since the intentions in the comic are good. Propoganda comes in many sizes and bearings, ugly and pretty, and this one's harmless.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:02 pm Reply with quote
What erodes this campaign's effectiveness is its absurdity, not the choice of substances consumed. The way this story is written makes it sound like drugs lead you on a downward spiral but that quitting is easy. That would inevitably bring up the same question my classmates and I used to wonder in the schoolyard in elementary school: If drugs are this horrible thing, why do grown-ups consume them at all?

Rather, the key to getting this story to work on at least SOME people (you're never going to get them all, or close to them all, but it'll be more successful than what this manga is doing) is to demonstrate some negative effects of taking illegal drugs that are actually real. Negative effects like their addictiveness (it's baffling to me as to why they would portray all drugs as non-addictive--that's part of the definition of a drug) perhaps combined with their absurd costs, the kind of trouble you can find yourself in if the cops find out you're consuming them, the REAL deleterious effects they can have (such as how if you suddenly stop taking heroin, you will die), the dumb stuff some dealers mix in to cut costs, and/or how the money spent purchasing these drugs goes into organized crime.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Lostlorn Forest wrote:

You guys bring up fair points and I definitely don't deny them. It's all the more reason however to ignore it, since no one will take it seriously. They should have went with harder drugs or just alcohol then. I never said it was grounded in reality only that there are worse things worthy of complaint, since the intentions in the comic are good. Propoganda comes in many sizes and bearings, ugly and pretty, and this one's harmless.

It it leads to the continuation of Japanese society treating drug users especially those
who become addicted to those drug with the bizarre stigmatism they already treat them
with it stops being harmless.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Well, Japan is heavily influenced by Western countries and their ideas about prohibition of drugs. They never went full crazy like the US did in the 1930's with alcohol though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:28 pm Reply with quote
Jose Cruz wrote:
Well, Japan is heavily influenced by Western countries and their ideas about prohibition of drugs. They never went full crazy like the US did in the 1930's with alcohol though.

Minor nitpick but prohibition went into effect in the 20's was overturned in 1933 though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2