• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans Anime to Return This Fall

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:05 am Reply with quote
Mika really needs a new Gundam, especially that only 4/26 are accounted for. 3 in this anime and then the one in the Side Story. Also, I can see a bloodbath coming in season 2.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:46 am Reply with quote
Thought there was gonna be a followup considering there's a lot of stuff unexplored. McGillis has only just gotten started with his plans, so it'll be interesting seeing him brought to the fore. And of course there's always the spectacle of new Gundams being brought in.
nagpo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:09 am Reply with quote
Why? From what I've heard most Gundam fans hate this show.
Pierrot.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:24 am Reply with quote
nagpo wrote:

4chan doesn't represent "most" Gundam fans.
DuelGundam2099

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:28 am Reply with quote
2chan does though, Yaraon has been keeping track of the ratings and pretty much everyone that isn't an otaku or graduated kindergarten has been tuning out. Western fans like it, Japan doesn't, and considering how many things this series got wrong I can't blame them. If I saw this before I hit 15 I wouldn't put up with such tedium.
Quote:
How long can it take to get the peace princess to Earth for her space conference?

24 apparently.

Last edited by DuelGundam2099 on Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Nyren

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:29 am Reply with quote
nagpo wrote:
Where have you been reading? Everywhere I go most people love Iron-Blooded Orphans. Its a return to form for the Gundam franchise. Sales have been decent from what I've heard so a second season, which was rumored a few months ago, was inevitable.
dark13

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:32 am Reply with quote
DuelGundam2099 wrote:
2chan does though, Yaraon has been keeping track of the ratings and pretty much everyone that isn't an otaku or graduated kindergarten has been tuning out. Western fans like it, Japan doesn't, and considering how many things this series got wrong I can't blame them.
Again the show has some flaws, but overall, I think it has fully realized one of Gundam's main goals from the very beginning. The way the three episodes handled the entire Tekkadan crew's reaction to various events - such as Mika's mauling of Carta, or the seemingly hopeless engagement with Gjallarhorn on Earth - was perfectly juxtaposed with Merribitt's horror, with Orga's internal struggles at making the decision to send children to die, with Kudelia's finally coming to terms with that reality (even wearing a Tekkadan jacket!!).

And what I think is so strong about this message is that, compared to - say - White Base's journey in 0079... Tekkadan has barely accomplished shit. Their whole job was to get her to Earth, and it took the entire season to do so, and half or more of them are now dead.

This show gets flack for its pacing, but I like that. It's REAL. It's powerful. There's comparatively little honor or sacrifice in a death like Biscuit's when compared to Ryu, for example. He died with a likely pessimistic view of whether their nominal mission would even be completed.

I really like the whole "go home to where?" thing, too. It's a grim reality of so many soldiers' lives all over the world, young or not. Also, I think it's a big departure from some of Gundam's protagonists and the way they use their families and past lives to tug at heart strings - from the snotty privileged Amuro and Kamilles to the sort of 'revenge' narrative of guys like Setsuna... Tekkadan just comes from dirt. Pure, red dirt.

I see a lot of people talk about how one dimensional Mika is, but I find it utterly fascinating. The way he approached Orga after Biscuit's death was so intense also 2Chan is bad place.
DuelGundam2099

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:50 am Reply with quote
dark13 wrote:
Not really G reco was boring, confusing as hell and a train wreck of show, I'm very happy that Gundam anime didn't get a second season and I'm happy sunrise learned from their mistake with IBO,this show really deserved a second season and has far as I know the show earned it.

I couldn't disagree more, G-Reco actually did start off very entertaining, the animation was top notch, it had a distinct art style, the story was easy to follow, it had a nice variety of mobile suits and armors, some good characters, plenty of action, and paced fast so it did deserve a second season. This on the other hand? You could literally cut at least eight episodes worth of content out of it and miss nothing important, this was a one course anime stretched out into two with out any of the positives of G-Reco.
Quote:
the seemingly hopeless engagement with Gjallarhorn on Earth

spoiler[So hopeless that Barbatos easily slaughtered them.]
Quote:
was perfectly juxtaposed with Merribitt's horror

It really didn't.
Quote:
with Orga's internal struggles at making the decision to send children to die

He didn't have any difficulty, he just sent people to fight, if there is any horror here it is his desensitization.
Quote:
with Kudelia's finally coming to terms with that reality

Which should have happened in 2 or 3 episodes, not padded out throughout the entire series, that gives an impression of redundancy to the viewers.
Quote:
(even wearing a Tekkadan jacket!!).

Because they were in a cold environment and she was on their side from the first episode onward, that means nothing.
Quote:
Tekkadan has barely accomplished shit. Their whole job was to get her to Earth, and it took the entire season to do so, and half or more of them are now dead.

Something most series were able to do within the course of ten episodes this series took twice as long to do.... How is this a good thing?
Quote:
It's REAL. It's powerful.

Getting to a destination quickly can also be real and powerful at the same time, it isn't episode length as much as it is what you do with it.
Quote:
Also, I think it's a big departure from some of Gundam's protagonists and the way they use their families and past lives to tug at heart strings - from the snotty privileged Amuro and Kamilles to the sort of 'revenge' narrative of guys like Setsuna...

This never happened, at least not the way you're describing here. Amuro and Kamille were never snot nosed and Setsuna's story is more of a redemption story with some elements of revenge. A series that did what you're saying? Age, specifically Flit's arc.

Quote:
I see a lot of people talk about how one dimensional Mika is, but I find it utterly fascinating.

Mika's problem is not that he is one dimensional, the problem is how easily he is willing to murder people. IE shooting people in the head that were tied in drugged and in the next episode he clearly saw someone almost accidentally ran someone over, the guy in the car tried to make sure they were okay, and Mika strangles an innocent man until someone else tells him to stop. He is evil. This would not be as bad except the guys he is fighting against act far more noble than he does and for all the supposed corruption Gjallahorn is guilty of we barely see them do any of it. The most we get is weapon purchasing from the colony (Dora? Dolen?), but those people were willing to buy illegal weapons to commit acts of terrorism. Notice in ep 16 they go after random buildings, not specific government targets.
Quote:
The way he approached Orga after Biscuit's death was so intense

Really? I had the sense it was dragged out.
nagpo wrote:

Sunrise was going to do this regardless of popularity since it is their flagship franchise, if popularity was a factor this wouldn't be happening since in terms of TV ratings it has been doing worse than Age.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:05 pm Reply with quote
Nyren wrote:
Where have you been reading? Everywhere I go most people love Iron-Blooded Orphans. Its a return to form for the Gundam franchise. Sales have been decent from what I've heard so a second season, which was rumored a few months ago, was inevitable.

From what I understand it is comparatively more popular over here than in Japan which is fascinating since Gundam has never been that big over here compared to other anime, though it might have been helped by the surprise popularity of the two Gundam Build Fighters seasons. There are points of contention ranging from minor (for instance, this is a rare Gundam where there are NO beam weapons) or major (the Tekkadan's at-times ruthless, bloodthirsty nature juxtaposed against the more "honorable" nature of the Gjallarhorn, the far more brutal, vicious setting which has led some to question whether it should be marketed towards children in Japan, and of course Mikazuki himself due to being near-sociopathic). But then I wonder this: what Gundam show HASN'T had this happen? Especially in the last seventeen years, every Gundam show has been debated back and forth whether it was good or not. It's just become so much white noise now.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:08 pm Reply with quote
I actually started to lose interest fairly on, once they left Mars to be exact. Everything else just added to my initial fears when it was announced that Nagai and Okada were working on it; the pacing is a mess, almost nothing actually happens and I actually started to cheer for Gjallarhorn because they at least had personality.

I really hope they realize the show has giant gaping issues and try to fix them. I was more excited to watch AGE every week than IBO, even Arc 4, and that's saying something about IBO; it is absurdly boring.
dark13

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:10 pm Reply with quote
DuelGundam2099 I don't see the postives your talking about with G reco since it flop big time to the point even tomino felt like had to apologize if his story was bad ( which it was in my opinion) ANN even reported
So far the Japanese I know seems to really love IBO and even support the model kits I can see you don't quite like it and your fin to have that Opinion heck maybe with season 2 IBO will fix the issues you had as for Mika his portrayed as Character who is very Broken Of course your supposed to feel discomfort I'm not sure why you want him to be so Generic, that something we should't be asking for and for Kudelia cloths this seemed pretty warm to me http://ami.animecharactersdatabase.com/uploads/chars/11498-151377902.png yet she didn't have to wear it heck she even had that on right after the Orga speech, as for the Dorts People as far as I know those noble gjallarhorn you speak of wouldn't give them their rights heck when they bought those weapons They never used them in fact the real terrorists in that episode were gjallarhorn who shot and killed them mind you are you gonna tell me their in the right ?

Last edited by dark13 on Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
JoeQ

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully Orga will use this time to finally visit a barbershop or at least buy scissors.

As for Mikazuki being a 'breath of fresh air', yeah, that won't last. Sooner or later he will face the horrible realization that the people he's been killing... are people (Noooo! What have I done?!) and angst about before turning pacifist. Why? Because it's GUNDAM and Gundam gotta Gundam!

I still like it though.

Last edited by JoeQ on Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:27 pm Reply with quote
dark13 wrote:
I don't see the postives your talking about with G reco since it flop big time to the point even tomino felt like had to apologize if his story was bad ( which it was in my opinion) ANN even reported

This is actually factually wrong and was wrong when it was originally posted. People have called ANN out on it too, pushing a false narrative and all. Otaking calling it bad got an article but Gen Urobuchi calling it good didn't.

What he said, if I'm recalling the proper translation, was that if people didn't understand the story, that it was his fault for not bringing it across clearer, not that the entire show was outright bad. G-Reco's easily one of the simplest stories he's ever done though. Nowhere near as convoluted as the extended Wings of Rean/Dunbine mythos.

Last edited by Lynx Amali on Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pierrot.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:28 pm Reply with quote
DuelGundam2099 wrote:
2chan does though, Yaraon has been keeping track of the ratings and pretty much everyone that isn't an otaku or graduated kindergarten has been tuning out.

Except TV video recordings list shows the Japanese viewers have been keeping up with the series and most of those viewers aren't "otakus"

February 29 - March 6

TV Viewership

Terrestrial Video Recording Reservation

---Series---
100.0 - 3 hours Doraemon Special (New Appearance)
100.0 - Lupin III
*90.8 - Youkai Watch
*86.5 - One Piece (Down 2 positions)
*73.4 - Boku Dake ga Inai Machi(Erased)
*68.2 - Detective Conan
*64.8 - Gundam Iron Blood Orphans
*61.3 - Gintama
*60.5 - Assassination Classroom 2nd Season (Up 1 position)
*56.9 - Dragon Ball Super (Down 1 position)
---Animation Studios---
168.2 - TMS Entertainment(includes Telecom Animation Film)
143.4 - Toei Animation
127.1 - Sunrise(includes Bandai Namco Pictures)
100.0 - Shin-Ei Animation (Up 1 position)
*90.8 - OLM (Down 1 position)
*73.4 - A-1 Pictures
*60.5 - Lerche

Not to mention in a recent poll among 26,406 people of all generations, 11.4% of males above 20 picked IBO as their favorite anime of winter season.

http://smartanswer.colopl-research.jp/reports/1bf37df6-095a-4095-a9c6-731637656206

Quote:
Western fans like it, Japan doesn't, and considering how many things this series got wrong I can't blame them. If I saw this before I hit 15 I wouldn't put up with such tedium.

Did you know volume 1 of IBO has sold 12,595 copies? That's much more than what G-reco, Build Fighters or AGE did.

It doesn't make sense for them to buy all those BDs if they didn't like it.

Last edited by Pierrot. on Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
dark13

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:30 pm Reply with quote
@Pierrot thank you and @Lynx Amali the fact it was even confusing in the First place hurt sunrise a lot to the point it only gross about ¥94.6 ( that is very bad and in the red zone) while IBO gross about ¥186.5 that means I good number of people really enjoyed IBO while G reco was big time flop here is the proof http://www.someanithing.com/series-data-quick-view right there in black and white

Last edited by dark13 on Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:37 pm; edited 2 times in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5