• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ohio Middle School Suspends Girl After Finding 'Death List' Based on Death Note

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:05 pm Reply with quote
This truly is the WORST generation by which I mean the PC generation always overreacting over every little thing, always whining about something that's not a big deal, really makes you think just where society is heading. Confused
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:44 pm Reply with quote
Another Death Note -- and yet another overreaction. Shocked Some people need to take some chill pills. Rolling Eyes
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:50 am Reply with quote
Looking at this, there's really no reason for the kid to write down fellow student's names. This can mean two things:

A) The kid was incredibly stupid, (which is what general consensus agrees upon) or
B) The kid was incredibly disturbed.

Neither of them speak well towards her character. Did the school overreact? Perhaps. However, when you compare it to what other schools did in similar past incidents, that kid got off light. Three days suspended, and not even off-campus. That's all it is.

Oh, and here's an excerpt from the article mentioning the Australia case I brought up in my first post.

Daily Telegraph wrote:
In one case, teachers who searched a teenage student's bag found a death list and a diary containing a "battle plan" showing areas of his school where bombs could be planted.

The Year 8 boy named classmates and four staff members in his "Death Note" and even specified how some of them would die - by drowning, heart attack and "drinking himself to death".

A Department of Education and Training report obtained by The Daily Telegraph under Freedom of Information reveals the student went to a government high school in Sydney's southwest.

Yes, seriously. This is one of the reasons I'm siding with the teachers in this case. I could also mention "Manga Murder", but I think I've talked enough.
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:39 am Reply with quote
^
So you're siding with the teachers in this case because of something a totally different kid in a totally different country planned to do?

That Australian kid obviously had problems but he should have gotten psychiatric help, not being made into a criminal.

And I don't know why you would even bring up the "Manga Murder" when it's patently clear that it has nothing to do with students bringing death notes to school.
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:16 am Reply with quote
^ My point is that there's no way of knowing whether that dumb kid was just playing around or actually planning on doing something awful. The reason I brought up Australia was because that was an example where someone was actually going to kill fellow students and staff. And considering I am currently living in a country that is threatened by terrorists to the point where most of our schools and apartments have bomb shelters...yeah.

In conclusion, the kid did something stupid and was rightfully punished for it, and it wasn't even that bad of a punishment. Y'all are acting like she got arrested or expelled or something. (Which, in that case, yes, I'd be saying they overreacted.)

I also brought up "Manga Murder" because, as bad as Bronies and the Sonic fandom can be sometimes, at least they didn't inspire murder.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:43 am Reply with quote
DN is a pretty harmless children´s comic and isn´t darker than let´s say Hunger Games or The Dark Knight, so i don´t even get the inappropriate argument and "our generation" hasn´t started a World War yet, so i am pretty sure that history may look kindly upon us.
Every child above the age of 10 can lend the manga from my library (or Blade of the Immortal/Watchmen, which is beyond crazy).

Quote:
Other students said that they have similar books, but do not bring them to school or have any names written on them.

Sounds about right for a middle school... Very short "suspensions" mean nothing anyway but she should level up her rhetoric skillZ. Not being able to talk yourself out of any consequences for bringing a prop to a Fandom event (a what?) is something that would never happen to me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Exalted Incarnate

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:17 am Reply with quote
The death note was ment to write the names of people you want dead, that is its overall purpose. What do schools expect children to use them for notes? Surprised
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:33 am Reply with quote
Akane the Catgirl wrote:
^ My point is that there's no way of knowing whether that dumb kid was just playing around or actually planning on doing something awful.

So why not ask the kid first rather than immediately assuming the worst and then charging them with a bogus crime?

Akane the Catgirl wrote:
The reason I brought up Australia was because that was an example where someone was actually going to kill fellow students and staff.

I'm 99.99% sure the kid didn't really want to kill anyone or destroy their school. Hating your teachers and your school is a common adolescent fantasy among angst-filled teens, but almost no-one tries to go through with it.

Also, do you really think he was going to make a teacher have a heart attack, or drink himself to death? Of course not. Like I said, just an adolescent fantasy that would never get acted on. The student obviously needed counseling but treating him like a criminal is just going too far.

Akane the Catgirl wrote:
I also brought up "Manga Murder" because, as bad as Bronies and the Sonic fandom can be sometimes, at least they didn't inspire murder.

Oh great, the old "this show/game/movie/song inspires kids to murder people" argument that gets trotted out by hysterical segments of the public. It's not Death Note's fault that someone decided to commit murder; they were going to kill anyway. All it did inspire the perps to do was to leave two notes at the scene to brag to police. That's all.
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:52 am Reply with quote
^ You know what? Let's just agree to disagree. It's obvious we're going nowhere, and that we two just have different idealogies. I think the kid was appropriately punished while you think the fact she was punished at all was wrong on the part of the staff. I have better things to do. (Like finish anything I've been writing.)

[Still not over Gravity Falls ending, by the way.]
bones2039

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:51 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

So why not ask the kid first rather than immediately assuming the worst and then charging them with a bogus crime?

The student was not charged with anything in this case.

I don't think panic is the right word to describe how the teachers and the school reacted to finding a notebook with actual student names in it that described how those students will die. Everything reported in this article to me at least shows a pretty restrained and reasonable response. If I found a note book full of student names that was left on a school bus route I drove, I would report it to the school because you just don't know. Maybe its a kid being stupid. Maybe its a kid that needs some help. Maybe it is a kid that might actually do something at school. Teachers have a responsibility to protect all students. That's not panic.
DuelGundam2099

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:13 am Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
Not being able to talk yourself out of any consequences for bringing a prop to a Fandom event (a what?) is something that would never happen to me.

She could have the most amazing rhetoric on the planet, it all depends on the adults, some are set in their mind regardless of what she says if she is even allowed to speak back whatsoever, I have met irrational people who abuse their positions on a frequent basis. Most teachers are that irrational.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:55 pm Reply with quote
@DuelGundam2099 Lightly slapping her on the fingers is barely a punishment, so i don´t see what the teachers did wrong. The entire thing is the definition of a cavalier offense. Boys will be boys. Or girls. I am pretty such that all of us had a longer "conversation" (i use that term loosely) about this non-event that most of the people involved. Most of my teachers were great people btw. The next RL Death Note "incident" is just months away anyway! It will also lead to nothing and i am now off to defend a certain Zack Snyder film Mad . Wish me luck...

@Akane the Catgirl But what an ending it was! I am 100% fine without a 3rd season and Twin Peaks is just around the corner.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Яeverse wrote:
I wish we lived in a better world, these are reasons why AssClass and Death Note TV Drama wont ever be shown on america tvs. Sad

I never even thought about Assassination Classroom and how touchy its premise actually is. That makes me wonder: Are kids in Japan less prone to imitation via the media?

Key wrote:
Agreed; prop or not, that's where the perpetrators cross the line on incidents like this.

Besides, if you're going to be truly authentic then put the names of characters from the series in it.

If someone actually does that, I can't really tell if they'd actually get in trouble over it or not. However, I can imagine some small town cop trying to figure out who this "Raye Penber" or "Lind L. Tailor" could be.

Cutiebunny wrote:
I would like to hope in the future that, perhaps 'Fandom Day' could omit certain students from dressing from characters from certain properties, such as those like Death Note or others where characters are provocatively dressed.

Unfortunately, that would be a slippery slope: If Death Note gets banned, what else might get banned? She got in trouble because the adults didn't know what Death Note was until she explained it. What other things could someone be a fan of that might be dangerous or upsetting? What if a fan of Game of Thrones brought real swords into school? What if a fan of The Simpsons carried a glowing green rod and claimed it was a stick of uranium or what looks like a can of Duff beer? What if a fan of Doc McStuffins was caught with a small sealed bag of a fine white powder?

Dessa wrote:
The school took the appropriate steps. She left something that could easily be misconstrued laying around, got in trouble for panicking people with it, and then went around and vented to people after being told not to discuss it with anyone. And now the school is going to educate people on what is and isn't appropriate, to avoid panic in the future.

That's the most civil response I've seen to one of these incidents yet: The adults attempted to learn about what it was (no doubt because it popped up during "Fandom Day," and they must've correctly deduced it was based on an object in a work of fiction), and the trouble she got in was for entirely justifiable reasons and NOT directly because she brought the notebook to school.

Middle school kids have pretty dark senses of humor, at least based on my time in middle school, so having the names of their classmates in a Death Note would fit right in with that edgy but immature way of doing things.

dtm42 wrote:
Yet another harmless teenager who gets punished because of the overreaction from adults. The offence was "inducing panic", yet she never intended harm and didn't actually induce any panic except in people who are clearly paranoid to the point of stupidity.

The reason she got in trouble over it in the first place was because she had names of her classmates in the notebook, and at least one of those classmates found out about it. That's going to make anyone uncomfortable, the idea that there is something called a "Death Note" with that person's name on it, even if no harm is meant out of it. (But can you trust such a person?)

Evernessince wrote:
According to that logic, teachers should panic with any material with Death, guns, or violence on it. Instead of rushing to a conclusion a little bit thinking goes a long way. We are humans not machines. We should not suppress creativity because people cannot independently think.

The thing is that with the scenario of a notebook called "Death Note," what is their reference point? How do they even know it's a reference to something? For all they know, it's a list of people the student wants dead, and nothing else. Unlike a home video copy of Kill Bill or a styrofoam stick, it can be easily misinterpreted as something used for malicious purposes, and that misinterpretation of death threats would likely be the ONLY interpretation they have. The idea that there is this work of fiction about a notebook that kills anyone whose name is written in it would never come up.

To someone who's never heard of Death Note, the notebook might as well be an app called "Anthrax Time" with what looks like a recipe for cultivating it or a realistic prop gun that the student is pointing at people.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4