• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Episode Review: Naruto Shippuden

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:02 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
If only filler material could have been based on these glimpses instead.

Amen. I would really have liked to see Gaara's dream, and even Ino's, since while I've never cared for the character, I'd like some explanation of her out-of-nowhere attraction to Sai, which spoiler[culminates in their marriage in Boruto, but] as far as I can recall was never hinted at until now. I can't even recall them ever interacting - I mean, I'm sure she's aware of who he is, but have they ever even shared a scene? Does she just have a need to compete for any male within Sakura's social sphere?

Anyway, aside from the abrupt and puzzling segue into Itachi's story, this was a breath of fresh air, and I'm already invested in it. Itachi is certainly a character worth delving more deeply into. And daaaayum, that come-back to the rock throwers! Very Happy Very Happy The ultimate picked-on kid's fantasy moment.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:41 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I can't even recall them ever interacting - I mean, I'm sure she's aware of who he is, but have they ever even shared a scene? Does she just have a need to compete for any male within Sakura's social sphere?

Ino is the "payoff" to building of friction between Sai and Sakura. In the manga back when they first met, Sai notes that he's bad at personal interactions and when he's bluntly "honest" to Sakura she gets mad (he calls her ugly) Sakura. Later Ino approaches and Sakura gets a "this will be amusing" sly grin thinking Sai will also insult Ino. Sai (in his head) thinks he should try a different tact (since he so clearly failed previously) and calls Ino "gorgeous". (there's implication that he doesn't BELIEVE it for a second, but he says it in an attempt to be "friendly") Ino of course is smitten and Sakura is enraged, hilarity ensues.

I don't think they (visibly) interact after that, but that's how Ino & Sai met.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:05 pm Reply with quote
I really cannot put up with the anime because of how it has been overdone with fillers. The only exception of the anime I've seen is The Last

The only way I'd watch it again is if it's redone like DB Kai
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:46 pm Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:
I don't think they (visibly) interact after that, but that's how Ino & Sai met.

Ah, now that you mention it, I do vaguely recall that scene in the anime...what, eight years ago? Very Happy
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:43 pm Reply with quote
Going off the preview, next week's installment looks like an homage to the episode in which Team 7 infiltrated a den of ninja felines.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:34 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I can't even recall them ever interacting - I mean, I'm sure she's aware of who he is, but have they ever even shared a scene?

And just as I say that, the episode they ran on Toonami this weekend has a scene with Sai, Ino and Sakura. Very Happy

Since we've established my memory is for shit, has the series ever explained how Obito managed to summon Kurama out of Kushina without killing her outright (seems like that should have been covered during the endless Obito flashbacks, but maybe by then I was too glazed over to notice)? I think I've always assumed she died from giving birth amid the chaos, or something to do with sealing Kurama in Naruto, but it never seemed like extracting Kurama was itself what killed her, since she had so long to get to her death scene.

In this episode he's in the city when he summons Kurama, so that adds an extra layer of "when did he steal him to summon" for me. If he ambushed her in her forest hiding spot, then where was Kurama between being extracted and wreaking havoc?
Barbobot

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:43 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

Since we've established my memory is for shit, has the series ever explained how Obito managed to summon Kurama out of Kushina without killing her outright (seems like that should have been covered during the endless Obito flashbacks, but maybe by then I was too glazed over to notice)? I think I've always assumed she died from giving birth amid the chaos, or something to do with sealing Kurama in Naruto, but it never seemed like extracting Kurama was itself what killed her, since she had so long to get to her death scene.

In this episode he's in the city when he summons Kurama, so that adds an extra layer of "when did he steal him to summon" for me. If he ambushed her in her forest hiding spot, then where was Kurama between being extracted and wreaking havoc?

Obito strikes just after Kushina gives birth. He uses baby Naruto as a means to separate Minato and Kushina, so that he can take Kushina farther away to extract the Kyuubi. They don't really explain why Kushina survives, at least not during the flashback scenes when Kushina is showing Naruto all this, but Obito does remark that he's surprised that Uzumaki shinobi don't die right away after having their bijuu extracted. Minato then jumps in just before the Kyuubi is about to kill her and rescues her. Minato then brings Kushina to safety and Obito uses that time to move to the center of the village and summon the Kyuubi there. The short amount of time between being extracted and then being summoned in the village isn't really shown, but it's not that long and really not that important either.

I assume Kushina would have died eventually due to the Kyuubi being extracted, but she dies before that can happen while sealing him.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 3:27 am Reply with quote
Hmm, ok, thanks. I don't suppose you remember what episode(s) that was in? I'd like to refresh my memory of it, but am not about to go digging for it. Smile
Barbobot

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:56 am Reply with quote
It begins on either episode 245 or 246.
Dextres

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 2:23 pm Reply with quote
Excellent review Amy! Very Happy
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 3:42 pm Reply with quote
It wasn't quite as funny as Sasuke's Paw Encyclopedia, but as a fan of Naruto's lighter side, I thought this week's episode was entertaining enough. With any luck, we'll get more info on the circumstances surrounding Tenma's death in the coming weeks.

Could Inari be of any relation to Tenten? The two share the same seiyuu, and she uses the exact same voice for both characters.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:51 pm Reply with quote
JaggedAuthor wrote:
It wasn't quite as funny as Sasuke's Paw Encyclopedia, but as a fan of Naruto's lighter side, I thought this week's episode was entertaining enough. With any luck, we'll get more info on the circumstances surrounding Tenma's death in the coming weeks.

Could Inari be of any relation to Tenten? The two share the same seiyuu, and she uses the exact same voice for both characters.

Probably just them saving money on seiyuu/their liking of Tenten extends to her seiyuu.

Also here's some new characters...and they're gone.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 5:05 pm Reply with quote
^^^ Thanks for the info, Barbobot.

Episode 453

It's like the writers are determined to squander their best material in favor of effortless fluff. I had my fill of find-the-lost-cat with Naruto and Konohamaru, et al. That it was a ninja cat this time did not make it more interesting.

Sorry Itachi, I can't give you my eyes, I haven't learned the plug-n-play jutsu yet.

Saddest face evah:

JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 5:06 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
Probably just them saving money on seiyuu/their liking of Tenten extends to her seiyuu.

They do tend to be surprisingly thrifty when it comes to new voice talent. When Noriaki Sugiyama voices post-toddler Sasuke, it sounds like a middle-aged man straining himself to emulate a child. Even stranger is teenage/young adult Guy being voiced by the same woman who portrayed him as a little kid.
LightningShadow55

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:02 pm Reply with quote
That cats my new favorite character.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 25 of 44