• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - How Important Are Hit Anime Series?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 5:05 pm Reply with quote
DerekL1963 wrote:
Yes, every year there is new blood entering the market. And every year there is old blood leaving the market. Crunchyroll cannot control or significantly alter either rate - and as license fees increase, their costs increase regardless of either rate.

You fail to understand that due to north america's positive population growth rate , there is every month a positive influx of new anime fans, even if crunchy did nothing and with advertisement they indeed can positively influence the rate of new customers entering the anime fandom.

Quote:
And don't try and impress me with your age, when I started watching what anime was available in the US, home VCR's were still playthings of the well off.

Oh, so this is a game of who is older, goody, let's play, I still remember watching ]ogon bat, umi no triton and Skyers-5 on broadcast TV!

Quote:
0.o As with 'summon', you don't really understand what 'niche' means do you?

Thou doth protest too much.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:52 am Reply with quote
Justin says that "the majority of anime series do not turn a profit". I would imagine there is an equivalent of Hollywood accounting for anime. However, anime merchandise can help return some of the money lost.

If a studio is about to bankrupt and they have that final big project, they definitely want to make it so it sells. However, anime merchandise can help return some of the money lost.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:20 pm Reply with quote
#852992 wrote:
Nanoha Vivid didn't have a DVD/BD release, but I don't think that the reason would be low sales, since it's a pretty popular franchise.

That's a weird situation. The article mentioned canceled releases (though I'm pretty sure they aren't nearly as frequent as the article suggests) but Nanoha Vivid never had a BD/DVD release announced at all. I suspect this is related to the Tamura Yukari situation. They also haven't said anything at all about the 3rd movie in at least a year. It's possible they simply couldn't get Tamura back for those and that through things into a lurch. King Records also did some sort of restructuring recently and it seems like they've been struggling with the various manga incarnations. One of them was suddenly andunceremoniously executed a year or so ago and none of them seemed like they were ever particularly popular with Vivid being about the only one anyone seemed to care about in the slightest. I'm not sure if the King Record restructuring was the kind of thing that would result in changing or canceling current ongoing projects, but if it was then maybe that was also a factor.

In any case, there was never any release for them to cancel, so I wouldn't consider it to qualify for what Justin was talking about in the article.
Polycell

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:31 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
You fail to understand that due to north america's positive population growth rate , there is every month a positive influx of new anime fans, even if crunchy did nothing and with advertisement they indeed can positively influence the rate of new customers entering the anime fandom.
Checking it out, Mexico has a replacement-level fertility rate while Canada and the US are below the line(Canada especially so). There are various subgroups in the US dragging its average up(though I can't seem to locate hard numbers), but they tend to be more conservative(eg, Mormons) and still don't prevent the US population from falling without far too much immigration.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4