• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Astro Boy Reboot Project's Poster Unveils More Characters

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KH91

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:35 pm Reply with quote
WTF? He looks like Ben 10.
manapear

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:53 am Reply with quote
As long as they maintain the integrity of the Tetsuwan/Astro, I'll enjoy it. Astro Boy isn't about an art style so much as it is about the themes of humanity, identity, rights, etc.

2003 is still the best version to me (and I can enjoy it better than I can the manga, because even Tezuka is sadly a product of his time), but I do look forward to this.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:07 am Reply with quote
KH91 wrote:
WTF? He looks like Ben 10.

Aww, you went and stole my Astro Ben10 joke. Confused

Let's just say, it looks a LOT more French anime-wannabe than Japanese.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:39 am Reply with quote
Wow, the character designs for this look very French. I don't really know how else to describe it.

stararnold wrote:
As for all you anime purists who are always like "no good ever comes out of anime being westernized in any way", be happy Japan is co-producing this new animated series. Therefore, it's not entirely a western product.

I'd like to point out that the record is worse for modern western media that gets adapted for Japan. Western projects adapted from anime have at least found cult status with stuff like Speed Racer and Edge of Tomorrow.

Radrappy wrote:
It's not about being a Purist, it's about how the flavor of the original has been completely discarded.

It can go both ways too. A good example is PPGZ.

The flavor of the original can be discarded and still have something worth watching come out of it. Disney has been doing this for close to a hundred years. TV Tropes has a rather large list of them under "Adaptation Displacement," where something is adapted heavily but winds up being more popular than the source material. It's probably never going to happen with Astro Boy though, at least in popularity.
Octorockandroll

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:46 am Reply with quote
Radrappy wrote:
It's not about being a Purist, it's about how the flavor of the original has been completely discarded.

It can go both ways too. A good example is PPGZ.

The flavor of the original can be discarded and still have something worth watching come out of it. Disney has been doing this for close to a hundred years. TV Tropes has a rather large list of them under "Adaptation Displacement," where something is adapted heavily but winds up being more popular than the source material. It's probably never going to happen with Astro Boy though, at least in popularity.[/quote]

I think the adaptation displacement thing was the point he was making with that powerpuff girls z thing. (Although I would have chosen Supaidaman, bu to each their own)
Gehirn

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:51 am Reply with quote
Save it for when you can actually review the show, and not just a poster and video of Astro flying around.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:00 am Reply with quote
Octorockandroll wrote:
I think the adaptation displacement thing was the point he was making with that powerpuff girls z thing. (Although I would have chosen Supaidaman, bu to each their own)

I don't think the anime version of Powerpuff Girls ever became more popular than the original show. If anything, the remake coming out next month has a better chance of doing that.
Octorockandroll

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:06 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Octorockandroll wrote:

I don't think the anime version of Powerpuff Girls ever became more popular than the original show. If anything, the remake coming out next month has a better chance of doing that.

LOL Nah. If the previews are any indication the new series will both fail at capturing the essence of the original that will entice old fans, and also lack many qualities needed to make a good action comedy cartoon. Hopefully the new series' of swat kats and samurai jack will fare better.
Re:SOUL

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:16 am Reply with quote
stararnold wrote:
The artwork looks very good (at least in my opinion), even though there's no resemblance to Osamu Tezuka's manga work. I so want to watch this.

As for all you anime purists who are always like "no good ever comes out of anime being westernized in any way", be happy Japan is co-producing this new animated series. Therefore, it's not entirely a western product.

I Remember Oban being pretty good and that was a Japanese/French anime and Yoko Kanno composed the score for the series too. I don't have a problem with the west collaborating with Japan to produce anime because it results in something interesting. I also don't mind the west borrowing some the anime art style as long as people don't call the show an anime because it's not, like RWBY.
Guile

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:39 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:

Not outside of Japan at least, though that can be attributed to a few factors. One, the dub only aired in a few countries, and it was heavily censored and localized. Two, it was more of a pure action magical girl show which doesnt do well in the west outside of Italy and France. PPG was never an action show but a comedy about superheroes.

In Japan though it had nice success. You still see fanart being made of it. But if you want an example of a smash hit then the Stitch anime is a good one. Again it sufferdd from a heavily altered dub and only aired in some countries. But if were talking strictly Japan, then they did amazing.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:42 am Reply with quote
Sorry guys, but I think this looks spectacular. Astro Boy is over 50 years old, so it needs some fresh new take, and the animation and vibe are both incredible as just regular entertainment. I can even accept Astro Boy being fully clothed...
macattack

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:42 pm Reply with quote
Re:SOUL wrote:
stararnold wrote:
The artwork looks very good (at least in my opinion), even though there's no resemblance to Osamu Tezuka's manga work. I so want to watch this.

I Remember Oban being pretty good and that was a Japanese/French anime and Yoko Kanno composed the score for the series too. I don't have a problem with the west collaborating with Japan to produce anime because it results in something interesting. I also don't mind the west borrowing some the anime art style as long as people don't call the show an anime because it's not, like RWBY.

Yoko only composed the theme songs. Taku Iwasaki did the background music.
NearEasternerJ1

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:46 pm Reply with quote
If you dislike co-productions, stop watching GITS SAC. That's all I'll say.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 4:25 pm Reply with quote
stararnold wrote:

Co-productions generally seem arbitrary on that front. Usually Japan just animates and the west actually writes and directs, so they are really just a western cartoons animated in Japan like most stuff during the 80s. Obviously the animation is being done in the west in this case, but what involvement does Japan have? Have we seen the credit list? For all we know Tezuka Productions are just attatched to it as rights holders. The 2009 Astro Boy CG movie was also a co production with Tezuka Production's name attached to it, I imagine any Tezuka related work has to go through Tezuka Productions like the Tolkien Estate for Tolkien adaptions.

Geminist wrote:
Sorry guys, but I think this looks spectacular. Astro Boy is over 50 years old, so it needs some fresh new take,

Tetsuwan Atom has had 2 remakes. One in the 80s and one in the 00s. The 00 version is perfectly fine for a modern adaption of the series. This just feels like a nostalgia cash in on western fans like Speed Racer the Next Generation was.

-Stuart Smith
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
Tetsuwan Atom has had 2 remakes. One in the 80s and one in the 00s. The 00 version is perfectly fine for a modern adaption of the series. This just feels like a nostalgia cash in on western fans like Speed Racer the Next Generation was.

-Stuart Smith

It bombed in North America though. (And Euorpe too.) Then again, with the exception of the original series localized by Alan Ladd, Astro Boy always seems to bomb outside of Japan. It's the franchise that everybody's heard of but nobody has actually seen.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3