• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Highly Questionable Videogame Adaptations

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ShadowZim777

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 3:56 pm Reply with quote
I was kinda a fan of the Devil May Cry anime, it was quite fun. But I can agree with the author on Ragnarok...Nothing much exciting about the series.

Speaking of video game adaptations, can anyone tell me if the Wild Arms Anime is any good? I was thinking of watching it.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:01 pm Reply with quote
For favorite yuri series I picked Marimite. If Madoka Magica was on the list I would've picked it, though.
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:03 pm Reply with quote
I have only seen two of these video game adaptations, both of which I dropped very early on. Never played the Atelier series. Disgaea (the original game being the only I've played so far) is a game I really love, but didn't really like the episode of the anime I saw at all.

As far as they yuri poll goes, none of the others top Yuruyuri, Marimite, and Sweet Blue Flowers for me. Those would be the definite top three.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Picked Maria Watches Over Us/Marimite for the poll; it's my favorite anime period.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:31 pm Reply with quote
So....nobody's watched Persona 4 Golden: the Animation, that had nowhere to go after the first P4A series went through the game storyline, and just turned into a Tenchi-like sitcom of the characters, with the focus on a budding relationship between Yu and Marie?
(I mean, it's okay, it's not heretical, it's just not the game.)

I haven't seen enough of Valkyria Chronicles or played the game far enough (I can't get past that supertank!) to understand why core fans hate the anime, but thought what I saw was okay--What am I missing? And how do I get past that tank, anyway?
Cetais

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Sweet Blue Flowers / Aoi Hana really needs more love. <3
bahamut623

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:51 pm Reply with quote
I'm fairly certain I'm alone in this but...I'm kinda fond of FF:U. It was a fun show and I genuinely liked the character designs. I didn't hate the old 90s OAV either.

I was expecting Wild Arms: Twilight Venom to be on here. If nothing else, I'll always be grateful to that show for introducing me to Guitar Wolf.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 5:25 pm Reply with quote
ShadowZim777 wrote:
Speaking of video game adaptations, can anyone tell me if the Wild Arms Anime is any good? I was thinking of watching it.

I would highly recommend avoiding it. It has virtually nothing to do with any of the Wild Arms games. It borrows things like a certain monster as well as ARMs, Crest Sorcery and Crimson Nobles, but you won't be seeing any serious journey to fight demon invaders or stopping the terrorist group Odessa anywhere. About the only redeeming value is the two Popepi Pipepo, Jerusha and Isaac. They're charmingly hilarious in the English dub, but that's it really.

bahamut623 wrote:
I was expecting Wild Arms: Twilight Venom to be on here. If nothing else, I'll always be grateful to that show for introducing me to Guitar Wolf.

That I can agree on. It really had nothing to do with any of the games and they just slapped random references in, like Liz and Ard, and some wacky characters styled similarly to a few from Wild Arms 2 and 3.

Since we're on the subject of bad anime adaptations of JRPGs, Star Ocean EX is another horrid example. It's an upsettingly stupid retelling of Star Ocean 2 that takes certain details that made the game so good and reconfigured them with very bad results (Rena not even remotely fighting in combat and being made into a magical priestess that the Ten Wise Man needed for their plans instead of her being the daughter of a genius scientist, Ashton needing to let his dragons possess his body in order for him to fight at all because he has no skill on his own apparently, etc). The anime thankfully stopped before they ever went to Energy Nede, but dear lord, I can't believe I watched all of it hoping it would get better at some point. (Hint: It never does.)

Last edited by belvadeer on Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:06 am; edited 1 time in total
Somewhere

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 5:49 pm Reply with quote
So I've got one that induced both ends of response from me: Arc the Lad. Episodes 1-13 were actually a pretty faithful adaptation of maybe the first 25% or so of Arc the Lad II. I loved that stretch; it would've been one of the best, if not the best, video game adaptations I've seen even if incomplete. Then from 14 to the very end (26), everything went to hell. Well, hell in the 'how faithful was it' sense. It even had a happy ending. Arc the Lad II was not a happy game.
I really wish that it ended at 13. I'm serious. spoiler[Having the anime close with the protagonist Elk strangling the life out of his childhood best friend/gal pal/possibly crush(?)] would've been a great taste of/introduction to the Arc the Lad experience. And it would've even been accurate in the meta-sense too, if you're familiar with how the first game ended to set up II.
But the second half exists, so I end up hating it. And it's not even the 'It could've been so much better!' sort of anger. It's the 'They had it! THEY FREAKING HAD IT! WHY CHANGE?' type.

Touma wrote:
I enjoyed Sands of Destruction enough to have watched it twice so far, and I plan to watch it again sometime.
I did not realize that it was adapted from a game.

It was one of those franchises which did the anime first to promote the upcoming game. The anime aired from July 7 to September 30 that year, while the game's JPN release was September 25.
I myself like the anime more than the game. It was uh... disappointing, having seen the anime, then place a pre-order, then finally getting and playing it.

Spawn29 wrote:
I remember seeing FU on TV on the Sci-Fi channel over a decade ago and I didn't like it. I'm surprise that the Shin Megami Tensei anime OVAs from the 80's and 90's didn't make it on the list. Digital Devil Story was pretty bad if you ask me.

Technically the first Megami Tensei OVA wouldn't count. It's adapting a novel as opposed to a game series. It also predates the game adaptation (the OVA was released in March; the Famicom game in September).
Hellsoldier

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Well, Divine Gate is a disaster. I mean seriously, can't believe I was patient enough to watch 7 episodes.

As for yuri, Revolutionary Girl Utena, Sweet Blue Flowers/Aoi Hana and Blue Drop are my choices. I still need to watch Kashimashi, Marimite, Whispered Words/Sasameki Koto and Simoun.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 6:10 pm Reply with quote
Cetais wrote:
Sweet Blue Flowers / Aoi Hana really needs more love. <3

I have the DVDs, just haven't watched them yet, so I can't vote for it.
doubleO7

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 6:15 pm Reply with quote
MattB1 wrote:
Tekken and Shadow Skill aired on Sci-Fi? I wasn't aware of this.

I don't believe they did. Neither did Mermaid Scar. The Appleseed OVA did air on the revived Ani-Monday/Tuesday block, but not back in the 90's. All of them (except Mermaid Scar) did air on Encore Action around the turn of the century though. Perhaps Lynzee just got her anime blocks mixed up?

Spawn29 wrote:
I remember seeing FU on TV on the Sci-Fi channel over a decade ago and I didn't like it.

FU? As in, the Final Fantasy show? That never aired on Sci-Fi. Or anywhere beyond ADV's own Anime Network.

Sci-Fi did air that weird CGI Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within movie off and on though.
Dessa

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Shining Tears x Wind is one of my favorite series, and I also enjoyed FF:U (still need to finish it, though, I've only watched half of it). Also, it's not quite fair to include FF:U on the list, since it's not a game adaptation. It's an original story using many of the same themes as a Final Fantasy game.

There's a number of shows I'm surprised aren't on the list, though, same as everyone else.

Devil Survivor 2- Both have the same basic premise, it's true, that you get clips of peoples' deaths. However, whereas in the game, you get a chance to avoid them, in the anime spoiler[every single one occurs]. It's effectively changing the theme of the title from "challenge fate" to spoiler["there's nothing you can do to change fate"].

Persona 4: The Golden- Now, I had problems with the original Persona 4 anime (yeah, rape jokes aren't funny), but I was willing to give this a shot. Except, as was said, they only animated the new scenes from The Golden, and there was nothing to bridge them. It was very disconnected and made no sense. I dropped it after episode 2.

God Eater- I enjoyed this one myself, but, well... No one tell Lovely about this thread, if you don't want to hear endless ranting about how it has nothing to do with the game and all of the characters are nothing like they are in the games.

Blade & Soul- Oh man, this show was bad. The first part was okay, but the rest was bad. My friends are playing the game, and I'm like "how can you guys stand this, it's so horrible!" and they're like "what?" and I'm like "I watched the anime" and they were like "there's an anime?" They honestly didn't know, but apparently fans of the game pretend the anime doesn't exist, it's so bad.

Sonic the Hedgehog: The Movie- Oh man, this was so bad... I'm not even sure which game(s) it was supposed to be based in, but when they don't even care to dub/sub "echidna" correctly (Knuckles was constantly being called an anteater in both the dub and the sub), you know it's bad.

Xenosaga: The Animation- Where to start on this one? It's so bad... the only decent thing was including Jin and chaos' dual tech.

Fate/stay night- While I enjoy it for what it is (a mostly decent adaptation of the Fate storyline, and a good intro to the franchise as a whole), there's a lot of people who attack it horribly.

Tsukihime- Haven't seen it myself, but from what I understand, like Blade & Soul, fans refuse to acknowledge its existence.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 6:42 pm Reply with quote
doubleO7 wrote:
All of them (except Mermaid Scar) did air on Encore Action around the turn of the century though. Perhaps Lynzee just got her anime blocks mixed up?

Oh, you're probably right. My parents had Dish Network or DirecTV at the time so that's probably what it was.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 6:45 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
Fate/stay night- While I enjoy it for what it is (a mostly decent adaptation of the Fate storyline, and a good intro to the franchise as a whole), there's a lot of people who attack it horribly.

Tsukihime- Haven't seen it myself, but from what I understand, like Blade & Soul, fans refuse to acknowledge its existence.

Is this when we start the "are visual novels video-games" festival?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8