• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - What's The Deal With Engrish?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:22 pm Reply with quote
^^
That's not a hard one to explain. The Japanese language simply does not feature natural sounds that differentiate between the letters, only one that sounds like a combo of the both. If English isn't learned as a second language very early it becomes difficult to learn.

Think of it like the Spanish "rolling r" sound. Only much more difficult. A rolling r comes natural to native Spanish speakers (of the dialects that use it- not all do) but more difficult to those that learn it later.

Asian singers aren't switching r and l consonants on purpose, they simply can't tell the difference. Maybe some do attempt to differentiate but these are unfamiliar foreign words, they might know different words have different sounds and have practiced trying to make the different sounds, but get confused as to which are which.
Remember, it's not only that they can't "pronounce" the letters correctly, they also can't easily hear the difference either.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:54 pm Reply with quote
I am a frequent visitor of Engrish. Always have been, ever since it had so few entries you could see them all in 5 minutes with a dial-up connection. As such, Engrish is always amusing to me, never offensive, because I know they always mean well.

I do have to wonder if random use of English in Asian countries is also linked to McDonald's being even more of a pillar of a big city's landscape than it is in the USA and it being a social hangout spot for young people.

That being said, there is one phenomenon in east Asia where use of English is meant to serve the locals: You've probably seen a Chinese product whose packaging is completely in English (well, Engrish), with not a lick of Chinese anywhere on it. This is because the Chinese also equate the phrase "made in China" with shoddy workmanship and bad quality. By making the packaging completely in whatever English they know and not having its country of origin anywhere on it, they hope to pass the product off to potential Chinese customers as a western product and trick them into thinking it's higher quality than it really is.

walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I don't think there's any excuse for misspelling words anymore, we have Google translate. It might not always be accurate for sentences and syntax, but it won't misspell words. Still managing to miss a letter or mix an L or R means you just weren't even bothering.

In most of those cases, it's because the English text was meant for decorative use. In some cases, however, the machine translation creates incorrectly-spelled words, most infamously in Backstroke of the West with words like "politicses" and "god'sly."

DJStarstryker wrote:
Japan (not just anime) uses that that a lot: "let's [noun]." I heard that frequently when I lived in Japan. It's used as a shorthand, and you're supposed to understand the context. Like a donut shop, for example, might say "let's donut", where they actually mean "let's eat donuts."

I take it, then, that most Japanese people are unaware that native English speakers don't use the language like that?

Vaisaga wrote:
I always liked the line from the first episode of Kashimashi Girl Meets Girl: "ALIENS ATTACK YOU SAY?!?"

Well, "Aliens attack, you say?" is a perfectly grammatically correct sentence and can be used appropriately if the topic of discussion is an alien attack.

belvadeer wrote:
It's strange though. The Japanese can get away with being called "cute" or "giving a good effort" for attempting to use English in their language as a means to enhance certain phrases or things they remark about or even decorate Akihabara store signs with. But how come is it when we slip in some Japanese from time to time in English media, we get accused of ruining or desecrating their language? I don't quite understand this reaction from some people. I heard Hellena Taylor, Bayonetta's voice actress, got some slack (probably from crazy Japanophiles) for uttering Akira Yuki's famous "Jūnen hayain da yo!" line from Virtua Fighter, despite it was something she was directed to say and she said it pretty damn accurately to pronunciation too.

If it's non-Japanese fans of Japan getting uppity over even the tiniest bits (or even incorrectly blaming flawless Japanese), it's just them being Japanophiles. Or rather, it's just them being huge fans of something. It's the equivalent of calling the pig-like villain of the early Legend of Zelda games "Gannon." The only people who'd care are the Zelda super-fans, but they get really distressed over it.

Gina Szanboti wrote:
What I've never understood about the L-R substitution thing in writing is that it's not consistent. I would think that one would always substitute R for L (unless they were sure it was L) and leave the R's alone, but that's not what happens. As far as I can tell from reading Japanese friends' writing, it's pretty random, with L's becoming R's and vice versa, about 60% of the time. I don't know if they're trying to guess which one to use and they guess right 40% of the time or what. It's like they not only hear the sounds as being the same, but that they see the letters as interchangeable.

There must be several dozen linguistics papers written about this. I wonder if I could understand them?

I am not a linguist (I am, in fact, terrible with linguistics), but I do speak a language that uses L and R sounds interchangeably, albeit the reverse of Japanese in that R sounds become L sounds.

My experience with speakers of that language is that they honestly do not know the difference between the letters L and R and consider them two letters that serve the same purpose. When trying to write in English, they get very confused and hung up when they have to write words with L's and R's in them. My mom has had to frequently communicate with someone named Larry for the past decade or so, and she struggles to pronounce his name to this day (but she gives it her best effort to try to memorize exactly how it should be pronounced).

I do believe that the pronunciation options in a person's fluent language or languages creates a profound effect on how they perceive spelling and how they hear other people speak. This aforementioned language, for instance, does not end any of its words in an L sound. Any loanwords that normally end in an L sound becomes an N sound instead (which IS used to end native words). "Mall" becomes pronounced as "mon," "bell" becomes pronounced as "ben," and "digital" becomes pronounced as "digitun." The native speakers I've spoken with seem to genuinely hear "footbon" when I say "football" and do not understand that they're pronouncing it improperly. To them, "footbon" and "football" are homonymous.

(If you're REALLY good with languages, you may have deduced this language is Thai.)

Spastic Minnow wrote:
Does it really matter? It's a hilariously bad translation that got on a sign in a public bathroom.

The sign probably warns that you should not squat on the toilet. In certain areas the standard form to use a toilet is still squatting.
As an English speaker I've wondered if it is supposed to be "Don't Stand (on the toilet)" and they used the wrong word... but it's just as likely a character with multiple situational meanings was used and the wrong corresponding word was used.

Yep, that's exactly what the sign is telling people not to do. Squatting like that not only can cause you to miss, but you might break the toilet and injure yourself falling because of all the weight concentrated on one spot.

As for the one that's utterly incomprehensible, there's the menu item that's described as having a "Kim Possible" flavor.
Mikeski

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:59 pm Reply with quote
The Engrish bits that give me a serious case of the what-the-hecks are the places where a native English speaker is brought in to speak the lines, but they're not allowed to correct the grammar. The devices in MGLN, the ship's computer in Voices of a Distant Star...
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:00 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Been watching some Red Jacket Lupin and I wonder how Italians
like seeing their country referred to as "Itary"?

The Italians dubbed every Lupin series including "The woman called Fujiko Mine". So they don't care how the Japanese pronounce things.
irfanf

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:05 am Reply with quote
*looks at 5pb. and the SciADV series*
Shaterri

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:41 am Reply with quote
My favorite was a drive-by (well, train-by) example during a business trip to Japan about 15 years ago: one of those standard little roadside country shops that proudly proclaimed itself (exclamation point and all) as "Arts and Crafts SOMETHING!". It was impossible not to adore their enthusiasm (and sadly I never got to go in and see what they sold)...
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 1:07 am Reply with quote
My favorite Engrish would have to come from Detekoi Tobikiri Zenkai Power! It's just so funny hearing it and thinking WTF are they talking about Poppukoon Shawaa Laughing
NeoStrayCat

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 1:08 am Reply with quote
Herald Of JOJO wrote:
Question: Do Terry Bogard's lines in the KoF games count towards Engrish speaking? Or rather Blue Mary's lines?
Yes, more than so, either way, no one really mentioed it here, but SNK Playmore, in some of their early Neo-Geo games, are the king of this trope, sometimes.

irfanf wrote:
*looks at 5pb. and the SciADV series*

Especially S;G and Rintaro's "I am Mad Scientist" line, lol.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 2:02 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
As for the one that's utterly incomprehensible, there's the menu item that's described as having a "Kim Possible" flavor.

Okay, I won't deny that one had me in tears from all the laughing, but it came more from the comments on that page. XD
Just-another-face

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 2:27 am Reply with quote
Mikeski wrote:
The Engrish bits that give me a serious case of the what-the-hecks are the places where a native English speaker is brought in to speak the lines, but they're not allowed to correct the grammar. The devices in MGLN, the ship's computer in Voices of a Distant Star...

Those are likely instances where the Japanese don't want to be told it's incorrect because they dislike being told they're wrong about anything. They probably don't want some foreigner who actually knows English better to suggest correcting anything in their precious anime.
Herald Of JOJO

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 2:34 am Reply with quote
NeoStrayCat wrote:
Herald Of JOJO wrote:
Question: Do Terry Bogard's lines in the KoF games count towards Engrish speaking? Or rather Blue Mary's lines?
Yes, more than so, either way, no one really mentioed it here, but SNK Playmore, in some of their early Neo-Geo games, are the king of this trope, sometimes.

Alright, thanks for the answer, man. I actually love Terry's Engrish in KoF. Are you okay?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 3:41 am Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
Okay, I won't deny that one had me in tears from all the laughing

This is the one that did me in. Just one little letter... I think my neighbors thought I was having convulsions.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 4:21 am Reply with quote
I get mild nerdly amusement out of uncovering Engrish in backgrounds and signs like classicalzawa and comparing to the "official" translation. A recent example hidden by altered Romanji letters at the entrance to Livira in Danmachi Ep12, says "The trade welcome to join us" but officially "Welcome Fellows". Also in Ep1 the tavern sign reads "Hostess of Sivtility" but is supposed to be "Benevolent Mistress". I guess they were going for "Hostess of Civility". Also for the curious, the other script used in Danmachi is a bizarre distortion of hiragana characters.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:26 am Reply with quote
I have beheld with my own eyes a sailboating goods store called "Break Wind," a beauty parlor called "Snob," a bar called "Punched Birth," a liquor store simply called "Booze," and a cancer treatment center called "Chemotopia."

But since turnabout's fair play, a little googling on Japanese sites will also turn up a wealth of photos showing Japanese T-shirts worn by or marketed to non-Japanese, including slogans like:

糞 - poop
変態 - pervert
痔 - hemorrhoids
自己嫌悪 - self-loathing
痴漢注意 - beware of gropers
今の主流:出来ちゃった結婚 - the current mainstream: shotgun wedding
婚活 - actively seeking a spouse
日本人彼女募集 - seeking a Japanese girlfriend
毎日が地獄です - every day is hell
やわらか冷凍 - soft frozen (?)
尊皇攘夷 - Revere the Emperor, Expel the Foreign Barbarians Sad <a political slogan used by anti-Shogunate revolutionaries in the mid-19th century--try wearing that one to Immigration when it's time to renew your visa!)

One more I saw at a con: 私は愚かなアメリカ人です。何でも買う。 - I'm a stupid American. I'll buy anything. Was the dealer providing a translation? Of course not!
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:44 am Reply with quote
Oh wow, I'd love to get shirts like that, and I could tell people what it actually means.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7