• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Nikkei: Bandai Namco Halts New Arcade Games Due to Arcade Slump

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 6:50 am Reply with quote
The arcade games I'm assuming they're talking about are the ones aimed at young kids (Aikatsu and the the like). And yeah, with PriPara, the line for Aikatsu is NOTHING what it used to be when I played Pretty Rhythm. Aikatsu copied Pretty Rhythm, and then Pretty Rhythm's Syn Sophia copied them right back. The circle of pakuri. -_-
Wrangler

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 4:39 pm Reply with quote
I think they should spin them off, so arcade side of the business has a chance to survive. I honestly think smaller and leaner version of that branch will continue to survive. Better than shutting it down. Business doesn't make good choices when their staring at numbers and not feeling the market on the street.
Amiantos

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:05 am Reply with quote
Anyone know if this is profit after development? As I know the pokken arcade cabinet has generally tanked in akiba and other places. Last 2 times I went to akiba in what I consider the biggest of the arcades there the pokken game was moved from the fighting game floors to the Rhythm game floor at the bottom. Other places have been out right removed the cabinets because they don't make the money. So I'm curious as to if this because of an over all slump in attendance to arcades or due to poorly planned cabinet releases. Pokken uses the WiiU pad pro or w/e controller and not a real cabinet stick layout like other fighting games too if anyone was curious.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:51 am Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:

It seems that arcade gaming is about to reach the end of its era... With home, handheld, and mobile gaming being so commonplace nowadays compared to over three decades earlier, there's not much need for arcades anymore except for certain circumstances.

Japan also has a youth population that has been shrinking for years now.

Hoppy800 wrote:
leafy sea dragon wrote:

I heard about arcades declining in Japan, but this is the first I've heard of a company pulling out. That being said, arcades in North America are stil laround. You have the children's entertainment centers like Chuck E. Cheese's (though all of its competitors have been wiped out during the recession), and you have the relatively new barcades. One of them, 257, is owned by Bandai-Namco. Round 1 has also popped up recently as a small chain of vast arcades and seems to be the go-to place for fighting game fans and rhythm game fans.

I wonder if that's how the fate of arcades in Japan will be too. I can see all three types of those arcades being viable businesses in Japan for the foreseeable future.

The only issue with barcades is the fact that most of the revenue does not come from the arcades themselves but from alcohol sales.

Dave and Busters get their money both from food and the lure of fun games to get people thru the doors.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Also, bear in mind that there are companies in the United States like Raw Thrills that exclusively make arcade games despite the reputation that arcades are dead. They recently had a hit with the Batman driving game, for instance, which can be found well outside of the arcade environment.

Amiantos wrote:
Anyone know if this is profit after development? As I know the pokken arcade cabinet has generally tanked in akiba and other places. Last 2 times I went to akiba in what I consider the biggest of the arcades there the pokken game was moved from the fighting game floors to the Rhythm game floor at the bottom. Other places have been out right removed the cabinets because they don't make the money. So I'm curious as to if this because of an over all slump in attendance to arcades or due to poorly planned cabinet releases. Pokken uses the WiiU pad pro or w/e controller and not a real cabinet stick layout like other fighting games too if anyone was curious.

From what I've gathered, Pokkén Tournament is a low earner because you're guaranteed a long game session regardless of skill level. This means that even if it's the hottest game in the arcade and was constantly being played, there's a limited amount of chances for someone to drop in coins or credits. Most arcade games are short and based on survival, whereas Pokkén Tournament has a fixed length (if you're playing the single-player mode, that is).

If you do a quick look, you'll see that every arcade game with a fixed game length has bombed. A notable one that comes to mind is the pinball machine Safe Cracker: Made by Williams's A-team, addresses issues of space by being smaller than normal, got good reviews right out of the gate, had a collectible token system. But it gave you infinite balls and ran on a timer. Its production run was 1,148 units, one-third of that of its following release, Junk Yard.

The controller used for Pokkén Tournament is an original design, by the way, and not based on any existing Nintendo controller. I don't play fighting games much though, so I don't really care what control scheme it uses, though I do think it's pretty unusual to have a traditional home console style controller for it. I know fighting game fans can be quite picky about having an arcade-style control scheme though, and it can make or break a fighting game's home release whether or not the system has an arcade controller or not. (And I know they can get even pickier than that.)
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:27 am Reply with quote
I am surprised that they can can make that much money with the limited arcade market. If this was 25 years but we had all our current technology for games, the arcade market here likely would be doing a lot better.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2