• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - Six Manga & Anime About Raising Kids

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 3:29 am Reply with quote
I'm always wary about Sweetness and Lightning turning into a May-December romance when all I want out of it is cool new recipes and sweet platonic fluff. Not knowing it's trajectory is one of the only things keeping me at bay, because romance manga and I rarely get along. :/
Ali07

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 5:19 am Reply with quote
maximilianjenus wrote:
just because he is a "bad" dad does not mean he is not a dad; it seems as if your background is teh manga or maybe the light novel, the webnovel wastes a lot of time/scenes which most likely got cut in the adaptations and yep, naofumi does not can't see rapthalia as aythign but a daughter, even though raphtalia is totally into him (random scene of raphtalia getting naked in front of naofumi and naofumi just goes like "nice abs keep on training").

Paying for their needs and training does not a dad make. That's all he has really done for Raphtalia and Filo, when it comes to taking care of them.

And, yes, I'm reading the LNs. As I mentioned earlier, I'm reading the One Peace Books' releases. There's nothing in there that makes Naofumi even close to a dad.

I would like to hear what the webnovel has in it, that makes him seem like a father.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:08 am Reply with quote
Nimitz wrote:
Animegomaniac wrote:
If the list explicitly includes manga than why leave out Yotsuba?

Probably because the manga is about Yotsuba. Her father is just a supporting character.

Some of my favorite chapters are about Koiwai spending good old quantity time with his daughter. He's was specifically made to be a work at home father who makes his own hours so there would be chapters like that. Also, there's always the point that almost every chapter of Yotsuba is a day so there's not going to be a lot of drama... maybe but it depends more on the writer; If the Azuma got depressed, it could turn sour in a manner of days/chapters.

The list is about the "Drama" that is manga child raising and not the other side. "Surprise tragedy", "unexpected pregnancies", "unforeseen complications of your child's health" as well as the old classic "fighting for the custody of your child" is pretty stock for this List and the more I think about it, the more I don't like it.

Having a kid and raising it? "Where's the point in that?" Yotsuba for the win. Not that she's blood daughter... as far as we know. Again, not that kind of manga.

The Otaku and his Daughter? Yes, I have read it but that's a tough title to talk about with this subject, let alone defend. Those who've read it know why. Ok but you've been warned: "Oh honey, come on and move in with me, we'll be nice and safe living in the same apartment complex as spoiler[my best friend, the pedophile."] Father of the year material, right there. Also, not much of a fan of the ending... why are you making me remember this stuff?... where, in order, spoiler[there's a possible rape, secret pregnancy and outright theft of his son for two years.] Mother of the year material, all the way.

Then there's the other "unorthodox" guardian relationship between two characters... I leave it to people who've read the manga to fit the word "surprise" in there, there's a whole list of possible entry points.

It all may have all worked out in the end- everything but the main father daughter relationship was open ended- but it probably just lead to more drama. And...oh yes, her mother... I can't even begin to describe her.
st_owly

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:25 am Reply with quote
Very surprised that no one has mentioned Baby and Me yet. I hate kids but even I found that one adorable. It's a similar setup to Aishiteiruze Baby, but it's a shojo from the early 90's.
pikabot

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:11 am Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
And give that the Oedipus/Electra complex has been around for a few thousand years, and that involves blood related parent and children, I can't be bothered to freak out about to unrelated parties.

First: not really. I think you would be hard-pressed to find a credible psychologist who holds it to be a real and literal thing most children go through. Like most things Freud, his methods were revolutionary but his conclusions seemed to hew suspiciously close to his own fetishes.

Second: Even if it were a real thing, even in Freud's conceptions, it's an early-childhood thing children are supposed to pass through before they leave kindergarden. Not relevant to the second half of Usagi Drop.

Third: Has anybody in this thread REALLY identified 'she falls in love with him' as the primary problem with the second half of Usagi Drop? I'm pretty sure most people would say the much larger issue is 'he reciprocates and then they marry and presumably bang'.
WingKing

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:22 am Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:

Well, Genji is not related by blood to Murasaki, though "grooming" is certainly applicable. It's "Genji Monogatari Sennenki," by the way, the 2009 adaptation of the Tale of Genji by noitaminA as part of the millennial celebration of what is considered the world's first novel.

Speaking of Murasaki, her seven-year-old namesake in Kurenai has a nice relationship with her sixteen-year-old male caretaker, but they live together for only a couple of months at most.

You're thinking of the "Hikaru Genji Plan," as they call it in Japan. TV Tropes has a fairly long article and list of instances of this trope. There are quite a few anime examples, but it looks like the vast majority are fantasy and historical series, not contemporary realistic ones like Usagi Drop (which I have not read, for the record).

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/WifeHusbandry

{Edit: Please refrain from excessive quoting.. I edited your post for you. ~ Psycho 101}
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:51 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The manga and anime flirt with the ramifications of unexpected pregnancy without outright making Kippei a dad in the traditional sense.

I have to highlight an error in that statement for Aishiteruze Baby The manga is 7 volumes long. The anime only covers up to end of Volume 5, but a few segments that were in the manga were left out of the anime up to this point.. spoiler[ Like the story of the school trip to Okinawa where they finally consumated their relationship. However the story of Kokoro's suspected pregnancy starts in volume 7, but that too is left out and not even hinted at in the anime. ]. Wink

Last edited by Mohawk52 on Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:40 pm Reply with quote
st_owly wrote:
Very surprised that no one has mentioned Baby and Me yet. I hate kids but even I found that one adorable. It's a similar setup to Aishiteiruze Baby, but it's a shojo from the early 90's.

Hmm i might have to check this series out then, thank you for the suggestion. Personally I absolutely loved Aishiteiruze Baby "anime" and I think it's a highly underrated series that deserves more love.

Another personal favorite of mine is Kurenai "anime". However that series is based off a light novel, not a manga. Still I suggest people that like usagi drop, Aishiteiruze Baby to give this series a chance.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
nargun

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 3:14 pm Reply with quote
pikabot wrote:
CrownKlown wrote:
And give that the Oedipus/Electra complex has been around for a few thousand years, and that involves blood related parent and children, I can't be bothered to freak out about to unrelated parties.

First: not really. I think you would be hard-pressed to find a credible psychologist who holds it to be a real and literal thing most children go through. Like most things Freud, his methods were revolutionary but his conclusions seemed to hew suspiciously close to his own fetishes.

I understand that some of this is based on Freud interpreting reports from his patients of childhood sexual activity with parents as fantasy, and given the widespread reports as some sort of universal fantasy.

Which, yeah.
Nojay

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 4:23 pm Reply with quote
A few other single-father-raising-child mangas which haven't had an anime treatment (yet) --

Sen to Man, a light-hearted comedy about a single father raising a daughter who is just starting puberty. It does the Japanese manga thing of introducing Shima's first period quite early on in the storyline, something most Western stories would tend to avoid or work around with euphemisms.

Hinamatsuri in which Nitta, a member of a Yakuza gang finds himself raising an alien girl with alarming superpowers which are both beneficial and detrimental to his lifestyle. Very funny in a deadpan sort of a way. The side characters are also a lot of fun.

Chichikogusa tells the story of a wandering medicine salesman (set in the late 19th century at a guess) whose wife dies and leaves him a young son, aged only two or so at the start of the manga, who he takes on his visits to customers. Chichikogusa means "father and child grass". It's very sweet and often quite funny; if you liked Mushishi it has that countryside-as-character feel to it.

Last edited by Nojay on Sun Feb 14, 2016 5:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 5:01 pm Reply with quote
pikabot wrote:

I haven't heard of a credible debunking of Freud. Since he is considered the Einstein of his field, you would have thought it would be big news.

pikabot wrote:

Second: Even if it were a real thing, even in Freud's conceptions, it's an early-childhood thing children are supposed to pass through before they leave kindergarden. Not relevant to the second half of Usagi Drop.

Children and Adults are not stamped out on a cookie cutter press. We are all distinct individuals. Your own perceptions, your family, your home and school life, your environment, and your own physical biology all make who you are. While some 'rules' and 'laws' may hold sway and be true for the majority of the masses, to varying degrees they will not be true to the minority of the masses.

It is just like vaccines and medicines, for the majority of people they are indeed beneficial, but for some they are not, and for others they can be deadly.
RestLessone

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 5:45 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:

I haven't heard of a credible debunking of Freud. Since he is considered the Einstein of his field, you would have thought it would be big news.

You haven't heard anything because most of what he believed turned out to be inaccurate or just plain wrong. And we've known for awhile. Freud contributed lots to his field, but he was a product of his time, hence the obsession with sex and his positions on female sexuality. I'd say his contributions were more abstract than set phases or experiences. Even with these, however, he did not necessarily create the concept, but popularized them or developed his own understanding. What held some truth were updated as time went on. For a short general overview, you could read Why Freud Still Matters, When He Was Wrong About Almost Everything.
ScruffyKiwi

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:47 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
Basically, the Westermarck effect didn't properly work for those two due to their circumstances. The Westermarck effect is said to take effect during the first 6 years of a child's life.

There is actually limited evidence for the whole Westermarck effect. Much of the information comes from studying children raised in kibbutz situations AND it only relates to the children raised together (i.e sibling type relationships) NOT parent / child relationships.
pikabot

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:40 am Reply with quote
Virtually every single major development in psychology post-Freud has been a rebuttal of some part of Freud's theory. If you haven't seen one, I'd suggest you weren't looking very hard.

And I have no idea what the second part is even supposed to mean. Even if you take Freud's theories at face value, Oedipus/Electra complexes are supposed to be transient childhood phases. Being stuck in one until sexual maturity would be a sign of serious mental health issues. Not a tremendous defense of the romance.
Schierke

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Sad to see that Love so Life isn't included here Sad Sad
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5