• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Viz Signature Line Now and the Future

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 10:13 pm Reply with quote
Not picking up anything new this month, but I bought the latest 2-3 volumes of Monster and The Drifting Classroom two weeks ago. It'll be fun catching up with those titles.

I've already mentioned this before, but somebody needs to pick up A Spirit of the Sun. Make it happen, Viz! Anime hyper
driverstart

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 3:42 pm Reply with quote
New questions!! As a fan of the manga series within in the Viz Signature Line, I'm over excited for the releases in October and that almost all of the new releases are of the horror type. As I think on this, I have to ask some questions?

What Series (Current, Ended, and Upcoming) from the Viz Signature Line Is or Is Going to be the Best Series Overall?
1. Monster
2. Golgo 13
3. The Drifting Classroom
4. Vagabond
5. 20th Century Boys
6. Uzumaki
7. Gyo
8. Phoenix
9. Tekkon Kinkreet: Black & White
10. Maison Ikkoku
11. Saikano
12. Steam Boy Ani-Manga
13. Tough

I personally believe the best is The Drifting Classroom and then Monster. I only read the first volume of 20th Century Boys online so I can't say much about besides that it seems interesting.

One last thing, while I was reading the latest volume of Monster, I noticed an ad at the back of the volume for Blue Spring. Now that's an old volume and one that is mostly hard to find as well but they are adveristing it. It seems to be an Editor's Choice, but with an ad for it in the back of Viz Signature Book, do you think it'll be reprinted into the Signature Line?
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:39 pm Reply with quote
I have to say Monster ATM, but I've only read two titles from the line (Monster and The Drifting Classroom), so it might not mean much.

driverstart wrote:

One last thing, while I was reading the latest volume of Monster, I noticed an ad at the back of the volume for Blue Spring. Now that's an old volume and one that is mostly hard to find as well but they are adveristing it. It seems to be an Editor's Choice, but with an ad for it in the back of Viz Signature Book, do you think it'll be reprinted into the Signature Line?

Seems likely, IMO. If not, why the heck would they even advertise it then? Is the EC version even still in print?
slickwataris

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 8:24 pm Reply with quote
I bought the first 7 volumes of Vagabond for $4.98 each at the Half Price Bookstore last weekend. I’m enjoying it so far. Tekkon Kinkreet shipped from rightstuf a few days ago so I should receive it on Monday. I still have volumes 9 and 10 of Monster unread on my shelf.

driverstart wrote:

It’s from the same author as Tekkon Kinkreet. I imagine if that sells well they’d consider re-releasing it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 1:31 am Reply with quote
Quote:

Don;t count on it. Viz has been doing that for years: printing an add for an old, out-of-print manga in a new work (usually in Editor's Choice where the readers are older) then counting on the hardcore fans to sniff it out (for a while Viz had a crapload of ancient titles available on their website). They printed an add for the old edition of Tekkon in Blue Spring despite having no plans to reprint it (this was before the film).

As for the "Best of" question, my favorites would be Tekkon Kinkreet and Sexy Voice and Robo (Vagabond is up there as well). In terms of the finest example of manga in the line, I'd go with volume 4 of Phoenix, which is the best thing I've ever read from Tezuka.
driverstart

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 3:23 pm Reply with quote
I been searching and looking over the website SimonSays and found 3 brand new series debuting in America between the months of Feburary and May. (There are 2 more, but those will be debuting into the Shojo Line for my research) The new series are as followed with their dates:

Ral & Grad (2/5/2008)
Nightmare Inspector: Yumekui Kenbun (4/8/2008)
Record of the Fallen Vampire (5/13/2008)

Any of these 3 could be new series for the Viz Signature line, but since I don't know anything about them, I can't say for sure which category they'll end up in with Viz. I guess we won't know until Viz gives us the low down later on unless some of you out there know what these stories are about.
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 6:24 pm Reply with quote
driverstart wrote:
I been searching and looking over the website SimonSays and found 3 brand new series debuting in America between the months of Feburary and May. (There are 2 more, but those will be debuting into the Shojo Line for my research) The new series are as followed with their dates:

Ral & Grad (2/5/2008)
Nightmare Inspector: Yumekui Kenbun (4/8/2008)
Record of the Fallen Vampire (5/13/2008)

Any of these 3 could be new series for the Viz Signature line, but since I don't know anything about them, I can't say for sure which category they'll end up in with Viz. I guess we won't know until Viz gives us the low down later on unless some of you out there know what these stories are about.

Ral Grad is a Shonen Jump title, so that one is definitely out of the question.

As for the other two, I'm not sure, but I think that they'll be part of the normal line. One reason I say this, is because Record of a Fallen Vampire is serialized in Shonen Gangan, which 666 Satan/O-Parts Hunter was also a part of. And that's in Viz's normal line.
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 7:27 pm Reply with quote
To follow up on some speculation concerning current and future Signature titles, here's some news from an industry panel at one of the Tezuka museum exhibits. In short, mostly crappy news, though I think some of it should be taken with a grain of salt given that we don't know who said it. I can't say I'm suprised Viz is still taking a loss on Phoenix, but with Vertical's success with Tezuka you'd think they'd be able to emulate some of it. I can't understand why they'd want to reprint Adolf yet don't want to touch Blackjack (unless they'd have to relicense it). Princess Knight apparently got a good reaction in SB though. Kind of suspicious about No.5 being the worst selling manga in the company's history (see the great Matt Thorn's post in the comments section).
News was a bit better from the other company reps. Aside from being unable to acquire any of Moto Hagio's works things at Vertical seem to be going well including creating a separate imprint for manga, which probably means more expansion. Darkhorse seems to be impressed with Vertical's success as well, as they're bringing back Tezuka in a big way including a reprinting of Astro Boy and completely new titles (Crime and Punishment a possibility).
driverstart

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:48 pm Reply with quote
There hasn't been much talk lately, but I'll try to get some attention with this new post. It's time to annouce the newest volumes of the Viz Signature series for the month of October, horror month as I call it with all these freaky releases:

Gyo Vol. 1 Date: October 16, 2007
Uzumaki Vol. 1 Date: October 16, 2007
The Drifting Classroom Vol. 8 Date: October 16, 2007

As the rest are to be released that aren't horror, but just has good:

Naoki Urasawa's Monster Vol. 11 Date: October 16, 2007

Golgo 13 Vol. 11 Date: October 16, 2007.

I already reversed my copies of The Drifting Classroom and Monster so I'll get them for sure! Plus, I'm for sure going to try to pick up Gyo and Uzumaki. So, what is everyone going to be picking up this month?
CorrosiveMeso

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 12:07 am Reply with quote
I already bought Uzumaki. I really like the cover. I haven't bought Gyo yet. I'm thinking of buying the second volume just for the Enigma of Amigara Fault. I haven't received Monster volume 11 yet, though.

I also got Tekkonkinreet in the mail. Though I haven't read it yet, the book itself is amazing.
HellKorn

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 11:17 am Reply with quote
@Kagemusha's previous post: Said it on AoD, and I'll say it again. Good news on Tezuka and that Kekkaishi is selling better than Viz initially thought. Everything else is a bit depressing, though.

CorrosiveMeso wrote:
I'm thinking of buying the second volume just for the Enigma of Amigara Fault.

Yeah, I'm kind of on the fence. I loved that short story -- far better than Ito's other works I've read -- but shelling out ten dollars solely is a bit too much...
driverstart

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 2:39 pm Reply with quote
O.k.! I picked up my copies of The Drifting Classroom and Monster today, thank God for preordering because now I got them a few weeks early! But that's not the reason for this post, it's about another add I have seen in my copy of Monster, this time they are promoting Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind manga! Do you think they'll rerelease it into the Signature line, if they do, I'm buying myself a copy for sure!

Also, I notice they were promoting the DVDs for Saikano and Key: The Metal Idol. What's with that? Are they going to open up a Viz Signature DVD Line now?

One last thing, I still see an ad for Blue Spring! Are they for sure going to reprint it now if they are advertisting it? Because if not, it's stupid to promote it if not.
tsukinoken

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 4:32 am Reply with quote
Oh ! I just picked up Monster volume 11 man I wish this was released monthly. This whole volume just kept me at the edge of my seat seriously could Urawasa make his characters any better Laughing ? Jeez spoiler[I really enjoyed this manga series as a whole thinking about it now its half-ways over when Johan actually turned out to be Nina talking to the young detective I was like Wtf ? I wasn't expecting that all also that the spy was a graduate from 511 Kinderheim Confused another type of twist moment this series really just keeps getting better as we pull into Johan's past more and more.]
driverstart

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:13 pm Reply with quote
Alright! It is a new month and as normally I should tell you what is to be release this month from the Viz Signature Line, but sadly there is nothing coming out from that line. They need more titles!

Also, I have recently picked the second hand edition of Uzumaki and decided that it one of the best titles I have read in a while. Also, IGN rated the Top 10 horror/suspense mangas of all time, and Uzumaki took second place while The Drifting Classroom took number one. Also, Monster had a spot on the list as well, but I don't remember where it was. That is all I have say this month.
driverstart

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:43 am Reply with quote
Hmm... there hasn't been a lot of talk recently on this forum. I might as well get something started. It's a new month so I'll go over the new releases that are coming soon:

Golgo 13 Vol. 12
Monster Vol. 12
The Drifting Classroom Vol. 9
Uzumaki Vol. 2

These volumes are all out on the 18th of this month so start saving up for them! I already preordered The Drifting Classroom and Monster like usual, so I'll get them for sure. I'll try to pick up Uzumaki as well. What are you all buying this month?

One last thing, I can confirm that there seems to be a good chance of Phoenix Vol. 12 for sure being released by Viz. I say this because I just was at Amazon they confirmed it and have a cover art picture.

Here's a link:
http://www.amazon.com/Phoenix-Vol-12-Osamu-Tezuka/dp/1421509741/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1196866413&sr=1-3
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 4 of 10