• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam Blu-Ray

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NJ_

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:23 am Reply with quote
fuuma_monou wrote:
The lyrics were written for the show (by Tomino, I think, under his songwriting pen name), but the tunes were re-purposed from existing Neil Sedaka songs.

So then it's another situation similar to Big O's opening songs?
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:09 am Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
The music score is a bit harsh and i would have gone with an A- on story due to the slightly uneven firsts arc (Kamille only becomes interesting after a family members death for example) but this is the finest space opera after LogH and a rare "masterpiece".
Zeta or 0083 is also a main reason why i will never be able to care about or follow Age, Orphans and the other post 00 shows. The currently manga remake Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam Define is actually a bit better/focused than the show and in desperate need of love. The same goes for all the other recent Gundam remake manga. I still can´t be leave that this very show lead to a turd as Destiny... This franchise sure is strange you all.

dont forget that bandai never had the licenses for the original music score so its not surprised that the review for the music side is a little harsh. its unkown if right stuff got them or is using the same music score when bandai had the license. and from the sounds of things, just like with the dub version they did kept everything from bandai intact like with its prequel series.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
shawnek
Accredited Retailer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:56 am Reply with quote
Bamble wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
You're kidding me, they have the same "dubtitles" as the original NA DVD boxset release? Can anyone else confirm this? That's a pretty big detraction from the quality of the release, if true. Especially since they corrected the subtitles in later releases, so there's no reason not to use those.

I'd really like some confirmation on this point as well before committing to purchasing anything. This post over at the AoD forums seems emphatic that the subs used on the new set are the corrected ones.

We did not use the "dubtitles" of the very original release. We used the subs from the secondary Bandai release. We were not allowed to make many changes, although we did update what we could.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:17 pm Reply with quote
shawnek wrote:

We did not use the "dubtitles" of the very original release. We used the subs from the secondary Bandai release. We were not allowed to make many changes, although we did update what we could.

It's very much appreciated, good sir. I have to get my hands on these Blu-Rays and improved subtitles makes it worth double-dipping.

I remember buying that initial Bandai Entertainment release and being flummoxed by the obvious dubtitles (obvious even to a person who barely understands Japanese). Granted, it's not as though the English dub is radically inaccurate (just stiffly performed), I just prefer more faithful subs.

I still have those pencil sharpeners. Over a decade later, I still have no idea what to do with them. Who needs that many pencil sharpeners? Nobody, is who.

Last edited by penguintruth on Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
GVman

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:59 pm Reply with quote
shawnek wrote:

Thank you for the quick response, sir. BTW, I love your company; y'all're doing a great job.

fuuma_monou wrote:
The lyrics were written for the show (by Tomino, I think, under his songwriting pen name), but the tunes were re-purposed from existing Neil Sedaka songs.

Doesn't he write the OPs and EDs to most of the shows he directs?
noigeL

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:28 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

I remember buying that initial Bandai Entertainment release and being flummoxed by the obvious dubtitles (obvious even to a person who barely understands Japanese). Granted, it's not as though the English dub is radically inaccurate (just stifflying performed), I just prefer more faithful subs.

It seems like people are mis-remembering what those subtitles were actually like. They weren't dubtitles, the translation was just radically inaccurate, to the point that the corresponding dub dialog did a much better job conveying the correct information.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:46 am Reply with quote
Fun fact: Zeta Gundam was the debut of Jurota Kosugi who played Henken and was also the narrator.
LinkTSwordmaster

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:57 pm Reply with quote
In regards to the OP music, I was wondering how many people are aware this exists out there:

Psyche Gundam - Four's Counterattack
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAB_HDpekgw

I love that CD to death. Jump to 7:47 for the amazing Silent Voice remix.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Zeta Gundam's music also has a disappointing caveat—even after 31 years, nobody has been able to secure the rights to either the opening or ending songs.

Oh well. We ought not be dispirited. Perhaps this series' fortunes will fare better in another decade's time. Third time lucky, as is often said.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:51 pm Reply with quote
They don't have "Mizu no Hoshi e Ai wo Komete"? Aw man... Sad
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:15 am Reply with quote
Sailor Sedna wrote:
They don't have "Mizu no Hoshi e Ai wo Komete"? Aw man... Sad

You can always watch the original OP/EDs on YouTube.

Got my order on Friday, but only got around to watching it today. Man do the Blu-rays look so much better than the DVDs. The subtitles seem to flow better, too, but I haven't done head to head comparisons. Yet.
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:33 am Reply with quote
True, I found it on Youtube. For some reason, that song in a way could kinda fit Sailor Moon...
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:35 am Reply with quote
Sailor Sedna wrote:
True, I found it on Youtube. For some reason, that song in a way could kinda fit Sailor Moon...

AMV/MAD time!
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:10 pm Reply with quote
I hope this isn't a bad time or that I'm too late to post something (if it is, I apologize in advance), but this is something interesting I've found, there are two different versions of the ending footage which originally had the song "Hoshizora no Believe".

One version had the footage like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QE4w5E4eC1M

And this is the other version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RQrA6u7GFI

Was the second one redrawn so it looked more fluid and sharper?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3