• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Fire Emblem Fates Video Shows English Version Without 'Petting' Feature

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shuusei

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Hm, this isn't really /as bad/ as everyone was making it out to be... at least the animation and bonuses are still present, and it wasn't removed entirely.
sirdano1

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:32 pm Reply with quote
They still haven't said if it's dual audio or not. I'm starting to get worried.
FtKaru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:39 pm Reply with quote
sirdano1 wrote:

On the stream that this video came from, the Polygon employee went through several different menus and there was no dual audio to be found It wasn't on the main menu, nor in game or even the record hall.
dragonandante

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:58 pm Reply with quote
sirdano1 wrote:

I certainly hope it's dual audio.
TrustTheFungus

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
In a conversation with the male protagonist he slips a "magic potion" into her drink without her knowledge, so she magically sees men as women and vice-versa. The idea was to help her "practice" around women, so when the potion wears off she is no longer distracted around them.

Why is "magic potion" and "practice" in quotes? Was it not a magic potion? Was it not for practice?
Chester McCool

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:34 pm Reply with quote
What me and my partner or any other person does behind closed doors is none of Nintendo damn business.

It's already been confirmed there's no dual audio, so you're stuck with those non union voice actors. They really screwed the pooch with this game, but thats why fan translation exist
GeneStriker

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:50 pm Reply with quote
This is fine with me. There are other games for that, which are actually focused on such things. If I wanted to do something like that (which I don't in particular), I would get one of those, not Fire Emblem. Censoring sucks, but this feature didn't really have any reason to be in this game in the first place, so I don't really care. I'm okay with them keeping just the animation.

I do wish this whole matter had been handled a little more tactfully, though.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:17 pm Reply with quote
Chester McCool wrote:
What me and my partner or any other person does behind closed doors is none of Nintendo damn business.

It's already been confirmed there's no dual audio, so you're stuck with those non union voice actors. They really screwed the pooch with this game, but thats why fan translation exist

So you're criticizing something 99% of localizations do anyway. And I'm "stuck" with great actors like Cam Clarke and Yuri Lowenthal. I fail to see how this is a negative in any way, shape, or form.
Haterater

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Its a good compromise, so I'm good about it. If they give more different lines with each higher supports, plus fully voiced, then they gave good effort. Just wish overall that they were upfront on the whole thing from the start or early about. Not until a few weeks before the game comes out. Makes me wonder about dual audio, probably license issue with the singers or whatnot. Or cutting it to save of money, perhaps.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:51 pm Reply with quote
So let's see... No dual audio, despite the size of the Western version being larger than that of the Japanese, no magic potion scene, and no petting feature, despite the mini-game being present... Yes, Nintendo of America has done very well in helping myself not throw over $80 in the black hole for a censored title. At least the fan translation of Fire Emblem Fates is still there for those that want to experience it uncensored and uncut.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:57 pm Reply with quote
Haterater wrote:
Its a good compromise, so I'm good about it. If they give more different lines with each higher supports, plus fully voiced, then they gave good effort. Just wish overall that they were upfront on the whole thing from the start or early about. Not until a few weeks before the game comes out. Makes me wonder about dual audio, probably license issue with the singers or whatnot. Or cutting it to save of money, perhaps.

My guess would be due to the song "Lost in Thoughts All Alone" due to it being the debut single of Azura's Japanese singing voice. There's also Hayato being voiced by a singer. Wouldn't be surprising considering games usually cut certain songs due to music licensing, which is always a headache.
Renasviel

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:26 pm Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
Chester McCool wrote:

So you're criticizing something 99% of localizations do anyway. And I'm "stuck" with great actors like Cam Clarke and Yuri Lowenthal. I fail to see how this is a negative in any way, shape, or form.

It's a negative because it's a preference. If people want the Japanese dub over the English one, they should have it, and I believe this was in Awakening. I prefer the dub myself, but to take away the choice is a negative, completely. It's really the same as sub vs dub - some people might not mind, but some want sub, and to just not include it is poor form.
Telekinetickhai

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:33 pm Reply with quote
Renasviel wrote:
AiddonValentine wrote:
Chester McCool wrote:

It's a negative because it's a preference. If people want the Japanese dub over the English one, they should have it, and I believe this was in Awakening. I prefer the dub myself, but to take away the choice is a negative, completely. It's really the same as sub vs dub - some people might not mind, but some want sub, and to just not include it is poor form.

^This.
Very fair and very agreeable argument (by Renasviel).
And judging from the increasing number of localized Japanese games which are retaining the original voices, that "99% of localizations" is getting outdated.

On the skinship thing: I agree that at least they still left something, but...thats IT?? Haha! That section now feels half-assed to me! Feels unnaturally short.

Someone also mentioned that "it looks like that instead of "touching them" you had a "night" with them."
LOL BACKFIRED gj nintendo

Last edited by Telekinetickhai on Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Renasviel wrote:

Is this a standard thing in Fire Emblem games? I've never played any video game series where it is; the closest I've had is Sonic, which is inconsistent (Sonic Heroes and the 360/PS3 version of Sonic Unleashed had Japanese voices available, for instance, whereas Sonic Colors and the Wii/PS2 version of Sonic Unleashed did not).

Telekinetickhai wrote:
And judging from the increasing number of localized Japanese games which are retaining the original voices, that "99% of localizations" is getting outdated.

I play a lot of Nintendo, and they rarely do, at least of the Nintendo I play. Nintendo doesn't do much voice acting most of the time though.
Telekinetickhai

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I play a lot of Nintendo, and they rarely do, at least of the Nintendo I play. Nintendo doesn't do much voice acting most of the time though.

In terms of nintendo games, that seems to be the case.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3