• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Berserk Anime is TV Series That Premieres in July

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:42 pm Reply with quote
I finally get to see the Black Swordsman animated. I am fine with that, especially since this trailer is just a teaser.
Freelance_Philosopher

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Lol @ that truly atrocious PV.
Looks like the goofy MD Geist "US Manga Corps" CGI logo from VHS/early DVD days.

I just hope the new Blu-ray set of the original series has gd English subtitles! I've already given up on a worthwhile successor anime--are some English-subbed BDs really too much to ask?
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:47 pm Reply with quote
I'll watch it, but I'm just expecting more disappointment since the manga is still ongoing and this new show will probably be just as inconclusive.
ChaosTheory

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Ulinox wrote:
If they can't do it with traditional animation they shouldn't do it at all.

My feelings exactly, what an insult to the source material Sad
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Now that it's a series, this could possibly work. Yes, the animation looks bad but if we get a 24-26 episode season, then at the very least we'll get most of the story. In any case, I'll be watching this regardless of how it looks.

Ulinox wrote:
If they can't do it with traditional animation they shouldn't do it at all.

Not gonna happen anytime soon. Unless this new series has a massive budget and staff (it doesn't), you're getting CG.

Kruszer wrote:
I'll watch it, but I'm just expecting more disappointment since the manga is still ongoing and this new show will probably be just as inconclusive.

It depends. I thought the way Miura ended the arcs in the manga were pretty satisfying. Obviously, they end on cliffhangers but I feel that only the Golden Age arc ends on a total cliffhanger. The endings for the other arcs aren't as much of a downer, I guess.

Edit: removed spoilers

Last edited by CoreSignal on Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Covnam

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:46 pm Reply with quote
That CG looked pretty bad, but at least they're not starting from the beginning again.
Xristophoros

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:13 pm Reply with quote
wow, that cg work is absolutely medicore... why can't they do this series justice in animated form? first we had the low budget and incomplete nature of the first animated series (at least it was done traditionally, mind you, even if the quality was lacking) and then they produced three films which were littered with shoddy and poorly executed cg (to be fair, they blended traditional animation together with the cg so not all was lost)... but now it appears they have gone 100% cg? why? this series does not lend itself well to the bland and awkard nature of cg. for a series that is so well known for its bleak and grimey atmosphere, you would think they would animate it traditionally to better suit the art direction. if the problem is money then simply hold off on the project until the required pieces are in place. otherwise, this series has no business being produced if it is merely to be used as some cheap cash grab. miura has poured his life and soul into the berserk manga so why is he giving the greenlight for sub par animated adaptations? can someone answer this simple question?(i am sure he is doing just fine financially so it's not about selling out to make ends meat i don't think). i was very interested when i heard a new series was coming out but i think i will pass if the production company has no interest in doing the series justice. talk about wasted potential.

Last edited by Xristophoros on Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:37 am Reply with quote
Regardless on how you all feel about the 3D the Berserker Armor needs to be seen by more people.
Calsolum

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:25 am Reply with quote
not gonna lie the animation looks pretty underwhelming... but hey theyre FINALLY moving on and once they finish animating as much manga content as possible kentaro will have no choice but to finish his damn masterpiece.

Providing they dont reboot or stall something else down the line, and how much does it cost to hire a team to animate something the old fashioned way?
Has the price increased or is using 3d cg dirt cheap so they use that instead?
Xristophoros

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:43 am Reply with quote
Calsolum wrote:
not gonna lie the animation looks pretty underwhelming... but hey theyre FINALLY moving on and once they finish animating as much manga content as possible kentaro will have no choice but to finish his damn masterpiece.

Providing they dont reboot or stall something else down the line, and how much does it cost to hire a team to animate something the old fashioned way?
Has the price increased or is using 3d cg dirt cheap so they use that instead?

yes, to my knowledge it is cheaper and easier to do cg animation work, though it depends on the type of content the piece is featuring. this is particularly true when it comes to mecha and vehicles in general due to the complexities of different angles and perspectives that arise. it is becoming a lost art now due to the heavy reliance on cg. berserk does not feature any content of this kind but it does have horses and epic battle scenarios. the production company must have figured it would be cheaper to animate in cg form (maybe not by much, but when budgets are as low as they already are in the anime industry, production companies welcome any way to save cash i would assume). this begs the question as to why they couldn't spare the cg just for the scenes that truly required it and animated everything else traditionally? perhaps we will never know but my guess is they wanted to cut corners and this is the result. or maybe they just think it looks cooler this way Very Happy
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:46 am Reply with quote
Xristophoros wrote:
if the problem is money then simply hold off on the project until the required pieces are in place. otherwise, this series has no business being produced if it is merely to be used as some cheap cash grab. miura has poured his life and soul into the berserk manga so why is he giving the greenlight for sub par animated adaptations? can someone answer this simple question?(i am sure he is doing just fine financially so it's not about selling out to make ends meat i don't think).

My take on the budget stuff is that we don't know if a Berserk anime will ever have the "required pieces" financially in place. Berserk is popular but I don't know if it's popular enough to attract big funding. Berserk isn't really a mainstream franchise due to the content, and there isn't a ton of merchandise or spinoff works to market. On top of that, it's an older franchise. These are probably all factors that are making potential sponsors reluctant to provide large funding.

At this point, the only way to get big financial backing might be to get some funding from overseas. Berserk's aesthetics and story are really appealing to the West, so maybe an American or European sponsor is willing provide some financial backing. The new Lupin III had Italian funding and it's been well received so far, maybe it could also work for Berserk.

Calsolum wrote:
Providing they dont reboot or stall something else down the line, and how much does it cost to hire a team to animate something the old fashioned way? Has the price increased or is using 3d cg dirt cheap so they use that instead?

It's probably a combination of both time and money. Even if they had the budget to hand draw everything, I don't know if they would have the time to do it. Take Gundam Thunderbolt, for example. The hand drawn mecha look amazing but then again, the whole thing is only 4 episodes and it takes nearly two months for an episode to come out. Animating the super-detailed artwork in Berserk on top of animating hundreds of soldiers and monsters in the epic battles would require a lot of time. I can't imagine any anime studio having the budget to do an entire TV season at that level of quality.
Rensie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:36 am Reply with quote
First '97 serie was a watered crap, mabga is still 100 times better. I expect no less for this second iteration.

Anyway i lost interest in this saga, Miura is an idiot that will never end it because don't have a clue anymore how to end it.
Daemonblue

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:18 am Reply with quote
Seeing the PV reminded me of this...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZO89Zo0DW4

It might not be that bad, but it's not far off.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3