• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Walmart Considers Dedicated Graphic Novel Section in Stores

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
7PhoenixAshes

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:50 pm Reply with quote
My very first volume of manga was an impulse buy in a Target. Fifteen years later, I now own 600+ volumes.

Having a physical presence in mainstream stores can really bring in people who otherwise wouldn't browse for manga online. If Walmart goes through with the deal it would be an amazing thing for the publishers.
supersqueak

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:10 pm Reply with quote
I'd be really happy for them to do this. Wal-Mart is really accessible compared to places like Barnes and Noble and I prefer to go o an actual store for most things.
sunflower

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:39 pm Reply with quote
The only thing worrying about this is the amount of influence Walmart has on publishers. Based on romance novels, I know that they have given publishers guidelines on what's appropriate for their stores. And because a Walmart presence gives a big boost to sales, publishers have been known to lean towards the kinds of books Walmart wants.

This is great, so long as we don't lose the books that Walmart won't sell.
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:28 pm Reply with quote
Ohhhhh...

So that's why I saw One Punch Man and Tokyo Ghoul at Walmart last week. Surprised
Ninjajake12

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:24 am Reply with quote
sunflower wrote:
The only thing worrying about this is the amount of influence Walmart has on publishers. Based on romance novels, I know that they have given publishers guidelines on what's appropriate for their stores. And because a Walmart presence gives a big boost to sales, publishers have been known to lean towards the kinds of books Walmart wants.

This is great, so long as we don't lose the books that Walmart won't sell.

Bingo. Walmart has a LOT of influence over its suppliers, from books to TVs. That's one of the only reasons why they can sell most of their items at a much lower cost than competitors. It's necessary evil for some companies. Slashing their profit margin (due to the 'middle-man fee') to sell at Walmart it harsh. And if you don't comply, they'll kick you out without a second thought. I'm not sure how Viz and those other publishers will handle that environment. Both industries are pretty greedy, so it'd be surprising to actually see this relationship work. Unless they got together and actually sold the books at MSRP in this partnership, it seems like these two players would be at-odds with each other.

But if publishers are willing to trade higher profits for sales volume, then it'd probably work well. I see this more as a marketing tool for publishers. Put it in with a lot of other stuff, and try and get non-fans to convert.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3