• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sailor Moon Crystal Anime's 3rd Season Visual Features Outer Senshi

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aquamine-Amarine

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:57 am Reply with quote
WHY did they go back to the old character designs? It looks so ugly. The new one looked so much better.
Beltane

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:06 am Reply with quote
I like the new design so far. It certainly looks as if this new design will make it easier to animate well. Let's hope the animation will be better this time around.
Minimimiau

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:38 am Reply with quote
Finally the design of Uranus, one of my fav Sailor Senshis! By the way, this time the character design loos better, but if I look closely, it really looks like the senshis are precure.
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:05 am Reply with quote
The problem with the previous designs is that they did not lend themselves to the medium of animation well. These seem like they'll be a good compromise, that's why anime have character designers for existing characters - to make sure they're adapted well enough to be close to the originals and easy enough to animate.

Though the problems of the previous production were much deeper than merely the designs. This combined with the staff shakeup should at least pull the rest of the show up somewhat.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:06 am Reply with quote
I really love the new character designs; they're a refreshing improvement from the first two seasons. Here's hoping it'll translate well in the animation. Smile
Haterater

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:54 am Reply with quote
rainbowrabbit wrote:
There's a second image that gives an even better idea as to what they'll look like. I'm not 100% sold on the new art style. But it might look better in the actual product. So I'll try reserving judgment until then.

Saw it, and it kind of looks like a bit like the old one to me, but less detailed and younger looking. I'll miss that older look to them, but hoping that seeing it in motion, it'll make up for that.
wonderwomanhero

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:56 pm Reply with quote
I'm more curious to see how the Death Busters will look (Kaorinite in particular)
PetitePuff

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:46 pm Reply with quote
ooh nice image, i'm totally saving that! interested to see what comes. love me some Uranus and Neptune!
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 2:29 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
I do note that Mars's arm is, as usual, in a horribly unnatural position. I do wonder if the people in charge hate her or something, she's gottent the worst treatment of all the senshi in terms of getting drawn in terrible poses

I have to laugh because this was the first thing that caught my attention as well, unfortunately. I feel like generally, the folks who come up with promo art have a hard time capturing Rei's confidence while still maintaining an air of elegance. Oh well!

Cautiously optimistic about the new look. I like it, but Haruka feels a little softer than I expected her to look. Fingers crossed she gets a suitably suave VA though (if Megumi Ogata doesn't end up cast).
manapear

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Isn't it basically the same image, just cleaner and colored? Or am I missing something?

This one looks pretty, and I guess it might be easier to animate, but I liked the previous art style. It felt more shojo to me, but I guess it was more old school and this has that more modern look.

Guess I'll be going the route of old lady yelling at clouds.
Haterater

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:24 pm Reply with quote
@ manapear

Article is about what you said, but there are other artworks floating around the webs from promotional merchandise and such.
rainbowrabbit

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Haterater wrote:
rainbowrabbit wrote:
There's a second image that gives an even better idea as to what they'll look like. I'm not 100% sold on the new art style. But it might look better in the actual product. So I'll try reserving judgment until then.

Saw it, and it kind of looks like a bit like the old one to me, but less detailed and younger looking. I'll miss that older look to them, but hoping that seeing it in motion, it'll make up for that.

The problem for me are the faces, mostly the eyes. And did the girls all of a sudden decide to stop wearing lipstick? It's a lack of consistency. Regardless of what anyone thinks of Yukie Sako's art style, I wish the new artist did a better job of making it resemble her designs.
CCTakato

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:02 pm Reply with quote
People are aware the 90s anime went through about a thousand art style changes, aren't they?
rainbowrabbit

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:57 pm Reply with quote
CCTakato wrote:
People are aware the 90s anime went through about a thousand art style changes, aren't they?

And we complained about that too. I'm not sure what you're getting at.
grooven

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:01 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:

grooven wrote:
I also like these designs better. Though I worried about the director *uninekocough*

Is there anything other than Umineko that she did badly with? Haven't watched any of her shows myself but I do plan to watch Higurashi in a few months.
I myself liked Higurashi but it did have it's flaws too. But, enjoy! I haven't seen the others in complete form.

I think I'm just being overly cautious. The main issue with Umineko was they did the adaptation before the entire game was released. But there were some cuts that I didn't agree with.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3