• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Sailor Moon R BD+DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 12:19 am Reply with quote
Well, it's like Dragon Ball Z's dub. By all rights, awful job done by all parties (horribly inaccurate, amateur voice acting), but when they started dubbing accurately for DBZ Kai, some people were enraged it wasn't like the version they grew up with watching on Toonami (even though it was most of the same VAs, they'd just improved some). This is how Funimation still gets away with selling terrible DB-related products like their OG DBZ Blu-Ray sets.

Nostalgia beats quality in almost every battle, unfortunately.

Personally, I think the old DBZ dub and the old Sailor Moon dub should stay in lock-up with Voltron, Starblazers, Robotech, and the rest of the poison. Nostalgia that toxic needs to be contained like radioactive waste.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
NJ_

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 1:23 am Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:
I'm curious to see which cels they decided to highlight. I'd like to hope they went with someone who has a fantastic collection, like Luna-Art. Otherwise, they're doing a serious disservice.

It's the redrawn Marco Albiero stuff that was introduced in the Italian sets and are seen in other international releases. The other sets also have them on each disc.

tygerchickchibi wrote:
In the meantime, Toei is bragging about their release of Sailor Moon R in HD right now, so I do know for a fact that Viz got the crappy end of the stick here.

Toei's HD broadcast of the first season turned out to be another one of their Q-Tec upscales, like their recent Blu-ray releases of other 70s-90s TV shows, so it only looks less crappy in comparison but could have been so much better had they not been so lazy & given the show a proper HD scan.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 2:08 am Reply with quote
CCTakato and penguintruth, I think you two misunderstood what I posted. While I'm saying the new dub doesn't make me laugh like the old one did back then, I'm not saying the new dub sucks in any way. I just have fond memories of my earliest journey into anime and I was just reflecting on that time. I think the Viz dub is fantastic for its accuracy (not having to change the name of Japanese foods or terms, letting us see the episodes previously unaired in the U.S., seeing previously skipped over scenes such as Usagi farting after eating too many sweet potatoes, etc.) while the DiC dub was fantastic for its comedy value ("Don't have a coronary, Serena!" and similar fun lines).
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:23 am Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
Cutiebunny wrote:
I'm curious to see which cels they decided to highlight. I'd like to hope they went with someone who has a fantastic collection, like Luna-Art. Otherwise, they're doing a serious disservice.

It's the redrawn Marco Albiero stuff that was introduced in the Italian sets and are seen in other international releases. The other sets also have them on each disc.

Thanks for this information. ANN, you might want to change the wording in your article. What Marco drew is not cel animation.

It's a shame that Viz couldn't have contacted any of the Sailor Moon collectors who have visible online galleries and ask if they wouldn't mind sharing scans, talking about their cels or the animation process in general. There really is a lot of wonderful art that was produced for the show, with things ranging from what made it on screen to the images used for promotional purposes. Most of us would love to get the chance to talk about the animation that made the show, especially if it would generate more interest in collecting these materials.
Triltaison

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:26 am Reply with quote
Are people really calling it "Sailor Moon R Classic" now? -Because that is the most confusing thing, when "Sailor Moon Classic" is what the original series was called by fans for decades to differentiate it from R, S, etc. in conversation. I've only seen people using "Original R" and "Original" to describe the older series. Calling it "R Classic" is like calling it Charizardmander or The Return of the Fellowship to me... It's just bizarre looking and confuses its meaning.
CCTakato

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:50 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

Nostalgia beats quality in almost every battle, unfortunately.

Personally, I think the old DBZ dub and the old Sailor Moon dub should stay in lock-up with Voltron, Starblazers, Robotech, and the rest of the poison. Nostalgia that toxic needs to be contained like radioactive waste.
I don't know that I would go as far as to say it should stay locked away forever. While I much prefer the new Viz dub, I would like to see Viz release the DiC dub, even if only on a cheap extraless DVD set. I think making the DiC version officially available for the fans who grew up with it would go a long way to ending the fandom wars over which version is the best. As it stands, you have to spend a ridiculous amount of money to get the old dub on eBay and I imagine it must be hard to track down the original ADV release of the DiC dub since they only released it in singles instead of in a boxset.
Haterater

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Kind of reminds me of localization in video games. That is what DiC's dub is to me. Music change, slang at the time, how words are worded to sound more natural than faithful, etc makes me like DiC's dub despite the editing and the likes. Love that Viz doing a more faithful dub and love their cast, but I would jump at a re-release of DiC's dub in a heartbeat(mostly because I like certain VAs/scenes better there).
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:57 pm Reply with quote
CCTakato wrote:
It's weird it seems like growing up in the 90s, everyone complained about how Terri Hawkes' Serena sounded like yodeling and complained about all the valleygirl slang and you weren't a real Sailor Moon fan if you ever said anything nice about the DiC dub cast. Now that the Viz dub is giving fans what they want with an accurate uncut dub, suddenly it's hip to bash the faithful version and complain about how the original butchered version is the best version. I wish Moonies would make up their mind.

I have no idea what you're talking about.

These are my feelings and mine alone and I don't claim that it speaks for anyone. I'm not really all about that "YOU'RE A REAL SAILOR MOON FAN IF YOU (insert whatever here)." You see, when all that bs fighting was going on, I stayed away from it because I think it's ridiculous to have to tell someone what to like and what to not like.

My point is that I just felt that while I understand the need for accuracy, I'm also in favor of some creativity which can still get the same meaning across.

I was looking forward to the new dub. I was aware that it was going to be different. I knew the names were going to be the old one, and there are things that won't be like the 90's version.

I like Classic in the new dub, honestly, but I'm disappointed in season 2. Just because I find it a little disappointing, it supposed to be "hip?" what?

I wish you wouldn't have taken what I said in such an odd context.
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 7:55 pm Reply with quote
(Talking about the quality of the original Japanese version, not the dub)

I thought the art and animation was fine and improved upon from the first series from what I've seen of R, I thought it was mostly smooth, and I will kinda admit, seeing some recycled footage (like Petz attacking) does kinda add charm to the series. I didn't see a lot of off model-ish art per say, but then again, that's just me, and everyone sees art differently, and one thing this show did have was different animation styles. (I've found out about most of R due to these comics I've mentioned, old Nakayoshi Media Books like this one [I don't own this one it's from SuperS, sorry, but this is what they look like]: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxqgwUVm930) I'd give the art and animation an A-, but that's just me, I'm really not an animation expert and while I can draw (I've done stuff like this: http://pre12.deviantart.net/51b3/th/pre/i/2015/139/1/8/care_bear_senshi_sailor_mercury_by_seiya_meteorite-d8tytst.jpg) I can't animate Anime smile + sweatdrop

The art and animation does improve when we get to S though, and the characters develop more too even if we do focus on the Outers a good amount too.

Didn't Mars and Jupiter have some good development in here too? Mars especially when she helped Koan turn good.

But yeah, Minako here in the 90's anime is one reason why I like her here better than in Crystal. She has a funny side that balances with her serious side. She does get goofier in the manga as she goes along too.

And Chibi-Usa being bratty definitely added charm to her character, I thought she was dull in Crystal.

I agree though, I wish R used Pluto as much as the Black Moon manga arc (my least favorite manga arc) and Crystal did. Then again, Mercury Mars and Jupiter were captured for half of the arc there...
jr240483

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:14 am Reply with quote
Vermin42 wrote:
So do retail versions of this set have the fixed discs now or do we still have to order replacement discs??

i got a nasty feeling that they are not gonna get those discs fixed anytime soon. at least the new dub is all but worth it. maybe this will show those idiots from saban that this is how an english dub for a magical girl series should be. not that mess they have like if this is the 90's all over again for the smile pretty cure series.

it will definitely make S interesting on who will voice who.especially when it comes to Hotaru(Saturn) since Fox is out (really though they would have had her as hotaru). though the real rabbit that viz pulled is getting Ash's old VA as Pluto considering she's a NYAV union VA and not an independent VA like Seph and the others unless she too became one as well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
MrBonk

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:21 am Reply with quote
I wish TOEI took better care of their film. And I wish Viz would learn to properly process old tape masters and BDs in general.
https://www.facebook.com/SailorMoonCenter2010/photos/pcb.1014259845287319/1014259391954031/?type=3&theater

https://scontent-fra3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xtp1/t31.0-8/857543_1002207199825917_1952180462156670926_o.jpg
https://scontent-fra3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/t31.0-8/10014997_1006645516048752_1530542098552468690_o.jpg

Quite frankly, Viz's video feels amateur. And they keep [expletive] things up. Whether it's audio mishaps, or the pillar boxing of season 1 with no intentions to fix it.

And they know they can get away with it, because it's a sure fire hit. And will sell no matter WHAT. And it does sell.

Look at Madman's SM DvD's, they are far better in video quality than Viz's (Uses the Italian video apparently) and are less expensive(At least for us in NA thanks to exchange rates. They are even encoded in NTSC.

https://www.madman.com.au/catalogue/view/31176/sailor-moon-season-1-part-1-eps-124
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/141803/picture:0
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:08 am Reply with quote
Sailor Sedna wrote:

Didn't Mars and Jupiter have some good development in here too? Mars especially when she helped Koan turn good.

They get more development in the first half, which I'm working on now - the Makai/Doom Tree cycle is when Makoto's childhood friend shows up and Rei has that talent show episode. But yes, Rei reforming Koan was good development!
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:54 am Reply with quote
I see, that's good.

Yeah, it does kinda suck Jupiter only had one episode in the Black Moon arc, but I will say her first two episodes of the other arc of R makes up for it.
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:55 am Reply with quote
I see, that's good.

Yeah, it does kinda suck Jupiter only had one episode in the Black Moon arc, but I will say her first two episodes of the other arc of R makes up for it.

I dunno why people hate that arc, I mean, yes, I know it was written so Naoko could start her new manga arc ahead of time, but it was still great.
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Just one more thing I want to ask. How come this review and the review on season 1 of Sailor Moon only focusing on the second part of the DVD/Blu-Ray release?

Either way, they're good reviews, much better than others I've seen here and on other websites like THEM Anime (IMO they missed the point of certain parts of Sailor Moon).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3