• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Live-Action Attack on Titan Tops Most Disappointing Movie Ranking

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pluvia33

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:14 pm Reply with quote
Ushio wrote:
Looks at the first Ironman, Winter Soldier and the first Avengers and then looks at this line.

"I personally thought the movie should meet any reasonable expectations that people could have based on previous Marvel movies."

My Answer WRONG!

Yet you don't mention the other two Ironman movies and the first Captain America. Also, I personally felt Age of Ultron was a better movie than Winter Soldier and the first Ironman, but that's just my opinion.
L'Imperatore

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:22 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
You can't be disappointed by something you have no expectations for.

Well, I know some people who went blindly because of.... Depp.

At least he redeemed himself in Black Mass. Sort of.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Lynx Amali wrote:
Tomorrowland and Chappy are on the list

Chappy billed itself as "District 9 II", which it most assuredly was not, and if you're surprised that Tomorrowland is on the list...did you even SEE that unholy mess of audience-unintuitive good intentions?

"Guess what, folks!: That big shiny city you saw in the trailer? spoiler[It was all a BIG FAT LIE, and our heroine was fooled, too, just like you! We're going to spend the next hour of the movie listening to grumpy George Clooney while running from homicidal robots in an empty depressing ruin!....Sur-PRIIIIISE! Very Happy "]
There's "disappointing", and then there's "The most murderously infuriating bait-and-switch since Dorothy found the Yellow Brick Road torn up in 'Return to Oz' Evil or Very Mad "

I'll confess to being disappointed by Avengers 2 (yes, I know a director will get so full of himself that he'll turn his own hit sequel into an off-topic self-indulgent mess, just like Batman Returns, Transformers 2 and Lost World, but Joss, we had faith in you!), but if you were actually disappointed by Terminator: Genisys or Not the Real Fantastic Four, you only have yourselves to blame for wishful thinking and not actually watching trailers. You can't say you weren't fairly warned.

Last edited by EricJ2 on Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:48 pm Reply with quote
I'm not surprised. Only Eren, Mikasa, and Sasha looked like how they did in the series, the villain was spoiler[Eren's brother and they combined the Armored Titan with the Female Titan], they removed Eren's parents, and the twist spoiler[where the movie was set in a post-apocalyptic future and that the Titans were a failed government experiment] were all so bloody stupid. These movies could rival "Dragonball Evolution" as the worst live action movie based on an anime.
Raebo101

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Whiplash?! REALLY?

And I was FINALLY starting to understand you, Japan... Rolling Eyes
ChrissyC

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Rightfully. The film looked like a cheap syfy cg film.
ryanvamp

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:47 pm Reply with quote
I liked Age of Ultron, I think it's a better film that the first Avengers. Of course, I think Ironman 1 & Winter Soldier are much better. But I know I'm in the minority liking AoU...at least internet complaining-wise.

Whiplash...wtf.

And there is no way the Attack on Titan movies (which I haven't seen) are worse than Fantastic Four. I've seen the trailers and even if they completely derail the source material...they have nothing on what Fantastic Four did. That movie...oh Lord.
ChrissyC

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:30 pm Reply with quote
ryanvamp wrote:
I liked Age of Ultron, I think it's a better film that the first Avengers. Of course, I think Ironman 1 & Winter Soldier are much better. But I know I'm in the minority liking AoU...at least internet complaining-wise.

Whiplash...wtf.

And there is no way the Attack on Titan movies (which I haven't seen) are worse than Fantastic Four. I've seen the trailers and even if they completely derail the source material...they have nothing on what Fantastic Four did. That movie...oh Lord.

Yeah what the hell "Whiplash" was great. And I am confused on how the hell it ended up with a bunch of action films.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Hollywood wiht a big budget would be making AoT, not Japan.
Just-another-face

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:45 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
4. Avengers: Age of Ultron
9. Jurassic World

Japan, come on, seriously? Then again, I'll refrain from saying what I'm thinking right now.
XerneasYveltal

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:30 am Reply with quote
That adds a lot of butthurt to Attack on Titan's ascending reputation as a franchise.
FackuIkari

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:53 am Reply with quote
I think they were expecting an action shonen made in live action but they got a horror movie instead. It really deviated of what Attack on Titan is but they made a pretty cool horror story out of it. I get why it would be dissapointing but I don't think it was that bad.

Also, Whiplash? really Japan? really?, to quote the last Suicide Squad trailer, "Seriously, what the f... is wrong with you people?"
Chrno2

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:26 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised that there exists a list for something like this.
But I wonder if is any good despite all things.
Suena

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:25 pm Reply with quote
The list only has 9, not 10

I think #3 is supposed to be Galaxy Turnpike; Attack on Titan: End of the World is supposed to be #4:

1位『進撃の巨人 ATTACK ON TITAN』
2位『ターミネーター:新起動/ジェニシス』
3位『ギャラクシー街道』
4位『進撃の巨人 ATTACK ON TITAN エンド オブ ザ ワールド』

(from source link)
Ali07

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Personally, I'd have Age of Ultron higher on the list.

As for AoT, my small impression of them from trailers didn't fill me with hope. At the same time, I only made it through 7 episodes of the anime, so it's not like I was expecting much from the movies, but the previews made me steer clear.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3