• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Which Anime Made You Cry?

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
skyechan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo - As mentioned by at least two others in this topic, spoiler[the death of Franz after he takes Albert's place in the duel against the count] makes me start to ugly sob every time I see it.

Princess Tutu - The first time I watched the series spoiler[Rue's backstory and how she realized she had been kidnapped and was really just a human all along and treated horribly by her "father"] made me weep.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SejinPK

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:14 pm Reply with quote
I'm like Nick used to be: I don't cry much at things, but it's not for any reasons pertaining to masculinity. There are many times where I'm watching something, or thinking back on various things from shows or movies I've watched, and I feel a deep sorrow, but for whatever reason, that feeling rarely moves from the inside to the outside (AKA crying).

More often than not, it seems like it's actually a deep, cavernous sense of loss and of things that are gone that can't be brought back, and the hopelessness that accompanies that realization, that make me cry, rather than sadness. I've also noticed that I seem to have to be in just the right frame of mind; I have to be receptive in a certain way that allows my recognition of what's happening on-screen and the emotions involved in whatever's happening to come together so that it "clicks" just right in my head.

The few times that I can remember crying at movies or shows (though there are probably a few more I'm just not recalling right now) are near the end of La Maison en Petits Cubes, spoiler[where it just builds on itself as the old man recalls his past piece by piece]; the ending of Your Lie in April, spoiler[because of Kousei's frantic, heart-wrenching begging for Kaoru to stay]; and near the end of Inside Out, spoiler[as all the ideas the movie had been threading through its characters' emotional journeys came together at the apex of this big revelation for Riley, and it was just all on point emotionally and idea-wise]. That last one is the only one of the three that felt cathartic to me, probably because of what the emotions felt by the characters were spoiler[(loss, even bittersweet loss, resonates differently with me than something like Inside Out's climax].
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:23 pm Reply with quote
Funnily enough, even though I wear my heart on my sleeve (I teared up at The LEGO Movie and the Disney Paperman short, both for different reasons), it's really hard for me to get invested enough in anime to actually cry about it. Misty-eyed? Sure. Silver Spoon, Angel Beats, Princess Tutu, Wolf's Rain, Haibane Renmei, etc. It's a long list. ^^;

But actually crying? That belongs to only two. The first was Anohana, which I managed to get through all the way without so much as a sniffle...until the last episode. I just bawled. Bawled so hard that these crazy kids spoiler[just wanted another chance to see Menma, and to send her off]. I had to pause and walk away after that scene.

The second one is the aforementioned Shirobako scene. It's one of the few shows were I really felt invested in the lives of those characters, so that finale bit really hit me hard, but in the best way possible.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:31 pm Reply with quote
A weird anime for it, but the one that wrung the most tears from me was "Demon City Shinjuku". Specifically, the scene with the little girl in the park.

Madoka Magica and AnoHano are good runner ups. I know there are some older anime too, but just can't remember.
MikeNeko San

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Tokyo Godfathers. spoiler[ When Hana leaps off the roof to save the baby all eyes on the ground are on her, but her eyes are serenely raised to the heavens because she is at peace with her decision. As they fall, dawn breaks, and only Hana sees the sun rise.]
Kurohei

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:50 pm Reply with quote
I cried in an anime that I'm pretty sure I'm the only one who did. Eden of the East. Not that big of spoiler, but I'll block it anyways. spoiler[When Otsuki caught Saki riding the motorcycle with Takizawa. And the scene with him drunk in the alley was what really did me in.] that scene I could kinda relate with the character, and I was like "I feel ya, man."
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:57 pm Reply with quote
SageModeKakarot wrote:
the ending of The Last Naruto the Movie made me cry

don't judge me

Me too. Lol

Also, Fushigi Yūgi and H2O: Footprints in the Sand. Myself;Yourself made me on the verge of crying.
Ali07

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:03 pm Reply with quote
I've yet to shed tears watching anime, but AnoHana and ef: A Tale Of Memories are the 2 that have come closest.

One series that always makes these kind of lists is Clannad (I include After Story when I say Clannad). Thing is, after watching that series, I was more wondering how the end of it came about, rather than how sad the whole ordeal was. Wasn't until later, seeing an explanation online, that I found out how it happened.

But, still, looking back at the series, it never hit me as something to shed a tear over. I may re-watch Clannad though, just to see if anything is different upon a re-watch.
GVman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:10 pm Reply with quote
I'm a bit overly empathetic; it doesn't take me much to feel a connection to whatever's happening on-screen in front of me. However, for outright balling, I'd have to say GaoGaiGar takes the cake. The show has three ending points (middle of the series, end of the series, and the end of FINAL), and the last two made me ball like a little kid. At the end of the TV series, a miracle did indeed happen, and the emotions the show made me feel were so powerful that I didn't quit crying until after the ending credits. As for FINAL, its ending is so bittersweet that I don't see how anyone who makes it that far could keep from feeling a bit down.

Manga is where I've shed the big tears, though. The end to Fist of the North Star's Part 1 (AKA the Raoh stuff) profoundly touched me. Raoh's growth came to such a beautiful conclusion. People tend to view Fist of the North Star as this big dumb action series, but it's honestly so much more.

Another was the end of Crybaby Sakura's story in Keisuke Itagaki's Garouden manga. Mother/son stuff really gets to me, and this hit me HARD. I think I cried for forty minutes after reading it.

Lastly, the conclusion to Hunter x Hunter's Chimera Ant War arc hit me really hard. I wasn't expecting that kind of impact when I started reading that manga. Then again, I also wasn't expecting it with either Fist of the North Star or Garouden.

Last edited by GVman on Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
yoshiyukiblade

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:23 pm Reply with quote
The closest thing to make me cry was Clannad: After Story. I was spoiled well before getting into it the first time*, so I was more emotionally guarded on my first run. It didn't stop me from being incredibly moved by Tomoya's life story though, and it remained as one of my top shows. Upon a re-watch with my guard down, I felt more things welling up inside that I suppressed the first time. I think that, despite its flaws, After Story is anime that anime copycats will probably never be able to replicate.

*I'm not sensitive to spoilers because I don't think a good show depends on hiding secrets for a one-time experience.

Last edited by yoshiyukiblade on Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:26 pm Reply with quote
WashuTakahashi wrote:

Full Moon wo Sagashite killed me. Probably mostly because I was maybe 12 at the time, but man was that reveal devastating. The anime was actually far worse than the manga for me (which I didn't read until after watching the anime) since she didn't KNOW in the anime, unlike the manga where she was just in denial. I have a bunch of the songs on my iPod, and half of them make me want to cry just hearing them since I know which scenes they go with Anime cry

I'M GLAD SOMEONE MENTIONED IT.

I'm also glad Kaminai was mentioned in the main article because yeah, I don't even like talking about that moment in episode 03. That was WAY too brutal. Anime cry
marichan99

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:27 pm Reply with quote
There's many anime that have made me cry before, but there are a few that really stood out. I'm going to go deep into my #1 pick and talk about it, because I really believe MUCH more people should watch it.

1. Mawaru Penguindrum: This anime is SUPER underrated. It's one of the few anime that actually tackle problems in our society, and explores what societal problems cause incidents like the Tokyo Sarin Gas Terrorist Attack to happen. Directed by Revolutionary Girl Utena's Ikuhara, it's symbolism heavy. I feel like it was dropped by many oversea's viewers because a lot of information that Japanese people already knew to understand the show were not already known by overseas viewers prior to watching the show. My advice is, research a bit on the Tokyo Sarin Gas Attack and Night on the Galactic Railroad prior to watching the show.
What made me cry while watching this show? That's easy. It's simply beautiful. The characters, the emotions, the music, the art, the story - this show really makes you think about life and fate. Each character has an emotional story to tell you that can't help but make you tear up a little. The conclusion to the story was great in my opinion; it doesn't give a very straightforward explanation of what happened but rather leaves it to the viewer's own interpretation of the story. I suggest reading some blogs on the meaning behind the show after watching it. This show just has so much love. Trust me, when you find out the real meaning of the "Penguindrum", the whole show will become double the feels. Mawaru Penguindrum is a story about Love, Fate, and Destiny. Go watch it. And plus, the penguins are adorable.

2. Clannad After Story: Now while this show may have used some Deux Ex Machina and other tactics, it doesn't change the fact that it was a beautiful and really emotional show. I literally cried so much. This show just had so many life lessons, and really made me rethink many aspects of how I viewed my life. Surprisingly, I didn't really cry much watching it the first time because I was younger and my conception of life was still limited, but when I watched it for a second time, many aspects of the show were now understandable to me and it made me cry waterfalls.

3. Madoka Magica and Fate/Zero (both by Gen Urobuchi): I cried watching both of these shows for it's beautifully done tragic characters. Every character had something they had believed in only to be tragically forced to face reality. Both are very emotional and dark shows, but also show the beauty of life, not just the darkness.[/i]

4. Angel Beats: Yup, basically anything emotional about life makes me cry. These kids that struggled with their hardships in life and the path to overcome it and accept things the way they are was very beautiful. Oh and also, I cried a lot during this anime from laughing so hard at the comedic moments.

Last edited by marichan99 on Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
ZanraiKid

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:37 pm Reply with quote
To my knowledge, only a few moments have been enough to illicit the emotion of raw sadness. Sure, I've seen my share of sad moments and halting moments (one of the most underrated moments for me came in FMA 2003 when Ed sees Rosé towards the end, and given there's a war going on and the nature of Reole at the time, you can tell exactly what happened to her without any words necessary). To me, these are the three moments that left me emotionally affected and drained.

Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade - spoiler[The death of Kei]

For such a simple story, heavy reliant on metaphor, Jin-Roh produces enough wandering thoughts to understand where the film is headed, but never really wants to say it. The heavy usage of Little Red Riding Hood as a metaphor for a constant struggle between the humanized Resistance and the dehumanized Wolf Brigade is given to you right out of the gate with the first three or so scenes. When Kazuki and Kei meet for the first time, you know what the history between them is, making their relationship more haunting and listless than powerful.

The quiet scenes they share accentuate the hopelessness of the situation. It's like Hope's choice for the finale of Wolf's Rain was dragged out uninterrupted for 101 minutes solid. It makes the eventual conclusion all the more heart-wrenching in knowing it was inevitable. Both Kazuki and Kei are at wit's end, and their standoff shows just how far they have evolved. spoiler[Kei is the protagonist Little Red Riding Hood and the only person she could truly count on is the Wolf Kazuki. Her death at Kazuki's hands is sudden yet quiet]. With the scene concluded, the film ends, never to truly resolve the raging schism.

Cowboy Bebop - The final scene in "Pierrot Le Fou"

The episode "Pierrot Le Fou" is a horror movie, plain and simple. A nigh invincible madman named Mad Pierrot is terrorizing Mars' streets and Spike, who we thought was a badass who could handle himself, gets thrown through the wringer not even five minutes in. The real kicker is that everyone who hears of this man is terrified, as shown on his bio.

Growing up as a DC fan, Batman: The Animated Series was a mainstay for me and still is. To see Spike Spiegel, one of the coolest characters of all time, go face to face with The Joker and The Penguin in one man is guaranteed to be a winner. What was eventually realized is that Mad Pierrot is also like Baby Doll, a lesser villain in Batman's canon. He is like a maniac child with a shotgun, firing it off without rhyme or reason. His demonic laugh. His terminal speed. He cannot be beaten by regular methods.

The final confrontation shows Spike had to win by luck, but at the cost of injuring himself further. His luck comes in the form of spoiler[trauma experienced by Mad Pierrot during his experimentation]. The final scene where spoiler[Mad Pierrot lies on the ground with a knife wound, crying like a child who skinned his knee, is painful to watch]. Spike is in the right, seeing it was for survival, but then again spoiler[he just injured a mentally challenged man who wanted nothing but affection]. The kicker is spoiler[he dies being trampled by a giant mascot]. The concept of an amusement park is to give children happiness. To have it distorted to this level makes this episode drip with the uncanny (it helps the episode is chock full of sakuga and a cacophony of a soundtrack). Top it off with a brilliant English performance by Bull Whizzins, possible pseudonym of the late Kevin Seymour, and this in my opinion is Cowboy Bebop's most unsettling episode.

spoiler[KissxSis - The whole show

That show made me die inside, and not in a good way.]

Magnetic Rose - The visions of spoiler[Emily]

Only recently have I seen Magnetic Rose, one of the three tales included in Katsuhiro Otomo's anthology film Memories. Like "Pierrot Le Fou", the film has a horror-like quality to it with plenty of sakuga. However, it starts off like Alien and ends as a warning to pipe dreams. Watching this film unfold is like watching an RPG dungeon in a game from the 80's unfold. You never truly know where its going. You can only watch the adventurers delve deeper into understanding their surroundings.

Both Miguel and Heinz are there for different reasons. Heinz is devoted to his work more then any of shipmates. Miguel is there because he needs money and wants to meet women. He is transfixed by the world, being the romantic that he is, and he can't help but easily fall under the spell of Eva. Meanwhile, Heinz is so focused on the mission that around every turn, he misses small details that cause more trouble for him. Seeing a ghost fall out of the ceiling and not being fast enough to catch a vase triggers something within him. The viewer can begin to piece together the mystery, but for me I was as transfixed as Miguel and Heinz, missing the details in every frame that would lead to an inevitable conclusion.

The first scene when spoiler[Heinz sees his wife and daughter in the German countryside] is the first time Heinz is seen as visibly happy in the entire film. For a while, the audience wants to believe that this is the reality. When spoiler[the reality breaks around Heinz] he is more frantic than ever, wanting to leave as soon as possible. The scene where Heinz sees spoiler[Eva in the flesh is the scene that gets me]. Everything building in this film is enacted upon when spoiler[Emily falls off the roof, mirroring her own death that Heinz was too late to prevent]. The worst part is he had a hand in this event, as spoiler[Emily's own excitement of having a spacesuit caused her to fall]. This one event causes Heinz to break down, with Tsutomu Isobe's acting driving forth the emotion. The worst part is in spoiler[denying the fantasy of Eva], there is no other choice but to spoiler[doom the crew of the ship to a violent death]. Magnetic Rose is an iconic film that is being rediscovered by newer anime fans as an achievement. You owe it to yourself to see it at least once, going in blind as to get the most emotion.

Last edited by ZanraiKid on Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:58 pm; edited 2 times in total
bahamut623

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Two recent ones jump to mind:
The Mother's Rosario arc in Sword Art Online did me in. I'm not even a big fan of the show but man that storyline messed me up.

The second one is Ping Pong but for happy reasons. Near the end spoiler[ Peco remembers the real reason Smile was called Smile(because he always had a smile on his face playing ping pong as a kid), and when they show the photo from the last tournament and Smile has a huge smile on his face once more] it made tear up a bit.
ZanraiKid

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:56 pm Reply with quote
bahamut623 wrote:

The second one is Ping Pong but for happy reasons. Near the end spoiler[ Peco remembers the real reason Smile was called Smile(because he always had a smile on his face playing ping pong as a kid), and when they show the photo from the last tournament and Smile has a huge smile on his face once more] it made tear up a bit.

Right show and reason for me, but a different scene. For me, the scene where spoiler[Kong is singing karaoke in Japanese with his teammates] is the show's turning point. It's Christmas, the main five are in difficult moments of their lives, but the scene is so beautiful in execution that it stands as a quiet reminder that there will always be people who care for you, even if you don't recognize it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 5 of 11