• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Which Anime Made You Cry?

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Barbobot

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Most of the shows I outright cry at are already on this list. Getting a bit teary eyed isn't that uncommon, but straight crying is a rarity. Wolf Children and Clannad After Story I cry it and generally have to pause the show to clear my eyes. Haven't gone back to them too often cause I know exactly what will happen again when I do. For Trigun, I didn't have as much of an emotional reaction to Wolfwood's death when I was watching it for the first time as a teen, but I think I realized how much it hit me when I rewatched the show before the Trigun ANNCast episode. Rose perfectly describes the reason for it too. It's that exact moment when he stops trying to justify this as being alright and tries to fight back against the unfairness of it. It's that exact moment when the waterworks begin.

One Piece is another show that has on several occasions caused me to cry and usually still do upon rewatching (or at least cause me to tear up). Drum Island and Chopper's story get me every time as well as Nico Robin's backstory. spoiler[When she finally meets her mother and she just sits there holding her mother's hand while the whole island is being destoryed and says "I've always wanted to do this......for a long time."] At that point it's completely beaten me.

Bunny Drop doesn't take long at all to start the crying, so thankfully the rest of the anime is far more upbeat and cheerful/hopeful. The moment in the very first episode when they are finally laying Grandpa to rest and Rin offers his favorite rindou flowers and grabs onto Daikichi before crying.
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:36 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
I could never tear up for those anime specifically designed to make you tear up, like those stupid Key melodramas with the sick girls looking longingly at snow fall or being wistful during cherry blossom showers. Stop trying to squeeze me for emotion. Tell a good, compelling story with interesting characters and I'll tear up for tragedies that arise from those, not pathetic, pandering nonsense looking to give you "the feels" with maudlin exaggeration.

As for Wolf's Rain, I only cried over what a total waste of potential that show was. All that pedigree (Nobumoto, Kanno, Kawamoto) and a decent premise, and they run it into the ground by meandering, pointless padding, filler episodes, and a rote, paint-by-numbers conclusion. By all rights, it should have been one of the greatest anime ever made, but instead it was blood-boilingly wasteful. It's the worst kind of bad anime, the kind that's bad because it's not as brilliant as it should be. If an anime is just plain terrible, I can forgive it. If an anime has no excuse for its awfulness, if it wastes its potential, that poisons me towards it forever.

I spend more tears thinking of certain episodes of Legend of the Galactic Heroes or moments in Giant Robo. The finale of Escaflowne or Royal Space Force, those make me misty-eyed, not some generic "Isn't this sad?" vacuous pap spoonfed to you for Tumblr gif parties.

What anime made me cry ?

The ending of Fushigi no umi no nadia and the epic ending to Hokuto no Ken (not the first ending but the second one). These two animes aren't what you would consider tearjerkers in any way shape or form but the action and characters build up in such a way that the ending really really pays off emotionally speaking. And yes I cried during the last episode of Nadia and was misty eyed seeing Ken go into the sunset while we see all his battles/friends/foes in the backgound. It's very rare to find this kind of emotional ending in modern anime because everything just goes to quickly. 12 episodes are simply not enough to build the story, the characters, the world. And everything ends just like that or feals so constrained it leaves you perplexed. If you want more read the manga or look elsewhere 'cause the anime will not deliver on this front.
Films are a different beast though. But for anime series I think that we've lost a lot ever since short series (12 episodes) have become the norm.
asukas

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:42 pm Reply with quote
For me, the anime I cried most at was Gankutsuou. The spoiler[duel where Franz dies in Albert's place] was absolutely brutal, I was a wreck.

I also cried at Now and Then, Here and There when spoiler[Nabuca was killed] and just thinking about Millennium Actress gets me all misty.
secondkas

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
with one rule: no Grave of the Fireflies. That's like cheating!

Well, fair enough. That's also the first thing that comes to my mind when talking about this topic. Smile

A handful of anime made me cry, and I think I cry more when the situation is sad and the characters are struggling not to cry. The most striking moment for me is in Cowboy Bebop's episode Hard Luck Woman. spoiler[That montage where all the females from the Bebop left and Faye, after finally remembering her past, drew on the dry ground to mark a space to sleep in] really breaks my heart.

There's also that GTO episode where Tomoko was playing house on the playground all alone and when she was "acting" during a pageant via a phone call for Miyabi.

Ok, there's more like Now and Then, Here and There and Haibane Renmei, but the feels are starting to rush out, so I'm going to stop now.
jtron

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Gintama, several dozen times. Beam Saber arc, Kabukicho Four Devas arc, Tama's first arc, the Onmyojo arc, the more serious recent arcs in the manga... it's one of the reasons I love it. That and it shows people using their strength to move through tragedy, rather than getting destroyed by it.
Knoepfchen

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:03 pm Reply with quote
I'm one of those people who cry easily at fiction. I find it cathartic, like Nick says. So much easier, nicer and cleaner when it's fiction. If I don't feel offensively manipulated, all tearjerkers like Anohana or a certain episode of Steins;Gate will make me cry and "enjoy" doing so.

So, to me, crying is not such a biggie. Making me physically hurt is a different story.

And it's so very different when no catharsis is provided, as in Trigun, perfectly described by Rose. I've watched the series so many times, and I wonder why there's still stuff left in me to die when it's time for Paradise, or if I will be completely empty one day after watching that scene one time too many. I'm crying my eyes out without feeling rewarded, liberated or pacified in any way. My "favorite" death in anime, brutally honest, human, heartbreaking.

A close second is spoiler[Yang's] death in the wonderful Legend of the Galactic Heroes. Even through the series likes to announce its deaths in previews, OPS and EDs and it was more than obvious said character would not live to see the end of that episode, the way it happened was, again, so brutally free of catharsis. Giving this character a death so completely free of heroism or glory and have him spoiler[be killed by terrorists in a dark corner, alone, using his last breath to apologize to people who would never hear his voice again], that was just too cruel.

As most of us don't tend to die wonderfully dignified deaths in real life, peacefully sacrificing ourselves for greater causes and whatnot, it's those useless, regretful deaths that really get to me.

Last edited by Knoepfchen on Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
TamenishDragon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Both series of Fullmetal Alchemist hit me right in the feels every time...
Although I think my tears at the end of Brotherhood were a combination of the events if the story, and the fact that there was no more Fullmetal to watch.

I also cried over the Mother's Rosario arc of SAO 2... Rather unexpectedly.
feuerwerke

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:10 pm Reply with quote
The two anime that made me cry the most were Haibane Renmei and Yurikuma Arashi. For Haibane, it was spoiler[the way the music cut out and Reki finally asked for help just before being hit by the metaphorical train that would destroy her permanently. It was a weird mix of sadness and relief and I don't even know what else.]

For Yurikuma, it wasspoiler[Lulu. Just. Lulu. She did nothing wrong and did not deserve to die and that scene made me lose it.]
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Without a doubt. Kanon (2006) had me cry the most. One of the saddest anime deaths I have seen was spoiler[Jiraiya's] from Shippuden. I felt that his farewell scene with Tsunade was given more romance and emotion than the manga version of that scene.
Nojay

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:26 pm Reply with quote
I always choke up when watching spoiler[Arisu's promotion] in episode 9 of Aria the Origination but then again I choked up when I read the same part in the manga...

spoiler[Angelica's death] in the final episode of Gunslinger Girl (there never was a second series of Gunslinger Girl, OK?) as the other girls sing "Ode to Joy" under the stars.
WingKing

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:32 pm Reply with quote
You know, I mentioned three others that hit me earlier, but I also forgot about La Maison en Petits Cubes. Maybe it's because I'm older myself, but something about that film felt like it was speaking directly to me. I felt an immediate empathy for that old man and what he was experiencing, and it really just hit me right straight in the heart.

And to the person who mentioned Nanoha A's earlier, I know where you're coming from. That series does a brilliant job throughout of making the Wolkenritter play as sympathetic antagonists, and while I didn't cry over it, I did feel moved in that scene you're talking about.
FuLinHyu

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:33 pm Reply with quote
Clannad still makes me cry every time I watch it (which is often as it is my favorite anime of all time).

If I were to put others on a list, Ef would make it for some sad moments and Kaleido Star for some sad/some uplifting moments.

Yes, I am a rather big softie of a man...
kinghumanity

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:34 pm Reply with quote
None of them gave a mention to Your Lie in April?

Come on. That series is #14 on MAL, and for a good reason.
John Thacker

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:44 pm Reply with quote
The episode of Kare Kano where spoiler[they show how Yukino's father Hiroyuki was raised by his grandfather and his grandfather slowly getting older and passing away] makes me start to cry just thinking about it.
Tisiphone1

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:57 pm Reply with quote
SaiKano is a depression fest and got me multiple times. The scene where spoiler[what's left of Akemi dies in Shuuji's arms] is heartbreaking and I had to leave the show alone for a couple days after watching it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 11