• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: BBK/BRNK

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:33 pm Reply with quote
Cel shaded animation is here to stay and It's certainly gotten fancier. I first seen this style in Freedom. Epsiode 2 was great. More story and his sister needs a reveal.
MajorZero

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:55 am Reply with quote
I expected more from people who wrote best VN's Japan has to offer. Perhaps Ishii is not quite used to TV storytelling, but world-building in the first episode is all over the place, no relevant information given about who is who and why are they doing what they do. It would've been okay for VN there you can read for hours, but not for 25 min. anime episode.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:31 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
I didn't have any problem with the character designs or the animation. However, the complete lack of a coherent plot or story line killed this for me.
Ditto in spades for me. I think it's a really bad sign for a show when people focus on how bad the CG is (it's not that bad BTW), almost as an excuse (?) for not being able to say anything about the story. Even the reviewer admits it is a mess and my problem is that the show hasn't given enough of anything for me to care to watch if it gets better. I loved the stereotypical villain, I'd want to see her run rampant over the Teen Titans all the while laughing Eyah-ha-ha-haa! Also, about the title, I propose BBK=BuBKis.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:50 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
I didn't have any problem with the character designs or the animation. However, the complete lack of a coherent plot or story line killed this for me.

Pretty much this. Yea, some of the CG is clunky but I can deal if the story is compelling or fun enough to hold me. I enjoyed the stuffin out of Knights of Sidonia even though it had CG and its share of cliches. This show had a promising start in the first episode with Ghibliesque echos and then went totally into the crapper for me with the second episode. Choppy storytelling and dumb cliches aside it feels like it secretly wants to be a Saturday morning cartoon which isn't necessarily aiming high. I may give this one more episode, maybe...
Anti_Nadalista

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:01 pm Reply with quote
A lot of shit talking when it comes to cgi but IMO it's pretty good. If you want to see western animation go ahead watch that.

It doesn't look as bad as some people are saying, including the sakuga [slur removed] which are hypocrites . To me their approach is pretty good, this is not a big budget show but looks [expletive] good still, the shadows are really well done in a similar way to GG xrd and the animation is similar to the cassette girl short in places.

I think is an step foward into the goal of making Japanese cgi animation with the same flavor limited animation in 2d has. If you are as dogmatic and fundamentalist as some of American animators that think full animation is the only good animation then that's your problem.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:39 pm Reply with quote
Given the way this thread is already going, gonna go ahead and issue a friendly reminder to obey the rules and not use antagonistic or inflammatory language in here. This ain't 4chan, folks.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Episode #1-2:

I liked the character designs, as well as the art style as a whole. My main issue is with Episode #2; the main lead, Kazuki Azuma went from "I don't know what is this 'Heart' to mean or where it is located" to "keep it together, move as one, follow my lead" in a very short timespan. Honestly, it felt quite rushed and forced. I'm hoping that Azuma's character is supported to the follow the "crybaby grew up to be a strong-hearted, cool-headed person" trope, otherwise it will be attributed to bad writing (or not enough episodes?).

On the plus side, Studio SANGIZEN, as with Studio Polygon Pictures (Sidonia no Kishi), nails it with the sound effects -- especially explosions and the metallic clangs and all that.Be it on earphones or surround system, it is a pleasure to listen to.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Hameydea,

They were probably willing to listen to him because their previous attempt, with the "leader" in charge, ended with them getting their asses royally kicked. Azuma didn't really understand what was going on at the time and went with the flow, but as a result of what happened, he started to understand how to make things work, and he didn't have time to talk it all out -- he had to act immediately, so he did. That's my interpretation, anyway.
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:37 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
the government's systematic pursuit of Bubuki users drives home the idea that Reoko's regime needs to be overthrown

Honestly, I'm not really finding this element that effective. The Bubuki are clearly extremely powerful as weapons and it's unclear what other use they even have. Even here in the States, I'm not allowed to kit myself out in full military body armor and arm myself with an RPG, and these things seem even better than that and all wrapped up in a self-stealthing package.

They seem to be building the angle that the Buranki and by extension, the Bubuki, are sentient and thus worthy of respect in their own right but that element has also been left extremely murky so that doesn't yet build the case for the government being in the wrong here.

The case against the government gets even worse when what lore we have seems to imply that the government would go after Reoko's Buranki and her henchmen's Bubuki if they had the ability to do so. All the outright ruthlessness we've seen here has also come from Reoko's direct henchman. It does not appear, from the apprehension of Azuma, that the regular anti-Bubuki police forces utilize the same level of brutality.

Heck, even the backstory is about Azuma's mother taking (most) Buranki from the hands of humanity.

Despite all this, the show does seem to say that suppressing the ownership of Bubuki is inherently bad, but it's doing a horrible job of making a case for that position.
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:25 am Reply with quote
HelloBucket wrote:
Quote:
the government's systematic pursuit of Bubuki users drives home the idea that Reoko's regime needs to be overthrown

Honestly, I'm not really finding this element that effective. The Bubuki are clearly extremely powerful as weapons and it's unclear what other use they even have. Even here in the States, I'm not allowed to kit myself out in full military body armor and arm myself with an RPG, and these things seem even better than that and all wrapped up in a self-stealthing package.

They seem to be building the angle that the Buranki and by extension, the Bubuki, are sentient and thus worthy of respect in their own right but that element has also been left extremely murky so that doesn't yet build the case for the government being in the wrong here.

The case against the government gets even worse when what lore we have seems to imply that the government would go after Reoko's Buranki and her henchmen's Bubuki if they had the ability to do so. All the outright ruthlessness we've seen here has also come from Reoko's direct henchman. It does not appear, from the apprehension of Azuma, that the regular anti-Bubuki police forces utilize the same level of brutality.

Heck, even the backstory is about Azuma's mother taking (most) Buranki from the hands of humanity.

Despite all this, the show does seem to say that suppressing the ownership of Bubuki is inherently bad, but it's doing a horrible job of making a case for that position.

Well, there's a lot about the Bubuki/Buranki, as well as Reoko's goals that we don't know of. For all we know, the Bubuki really might be extremely dangerous, even to their users. Reoko and her underlings might be in the right in trying to eliminate them, the problem being that their methods are exceedingly ruthless and mercliess.
diadumenian

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:44 pm Reply with quote
I can't remember the last series where I'm significantly more interested in (rooting for?) the bad guys. I agree Matobai was kind of flat, but I believe it's implied he's the weakest member of Reoko's team. Better character designs and costumes than Team Azuma, plus rougher edges.

Seriously, what's with that train...
danpmss

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:27 am Reply with quote
This anime kinda died for me since that stupid pedophilic subplot last episode.
The bland dialogue and motivations, as well as the generic and melodramatic presentation of the characters (and the really try-hard presentation of most of the villains so far) are also good reasons for me to say this is a pretty bad show overall.

Unfortunately, I can't judge it properly without seeing the whole content before (sounds like a shounen-ish Comet Lucifer to me, and the latter was one huge disappointment).

Before episode 5 it was a fine cliche fest battle-shounen show tho, I wonder what were they thinking to do something like that (like, Ino from Naruto was having a sexual relationship with some guy with the double of her age most likely when she was 12 or something, for example, just what the fudge :v ).

And don't even get me started with the consent in Japan thing (that is 13, btw, and pretty wrong nonetheless).
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:23 pm Reply with quote
danpmss wrote:
This anime kinda died for me since that stupid pedophilic subplot last episode.
I'll admit this died for me on Ep2, but you can do what I did and embrace the badness and turn this into a pure "hate-watch". I'm not sure how long I can last, but with the right frame of mind, it is sort of funny. Like, how did Zetsubi hide that floor-length rabbit fur(?) coat under her form-fitting miniskirt outfit that she whips off? And the VA for Arabashiri is so far above the top of crazy in emoting. Really thought they were going to have him "give" because he remembered his feelings for Kinoa, but she just sort of says "nah, I'm over it" and over the side he goes (but he's O.K.!). Now Shizuru shows just how much a genius fighter she is by constantly firing away while the other resident "genius" just flicks them all away with his pen. I guess that's just the way geniuses are, because the writers obviously never saw one in person. And the end this week where the other monster buranki shows and just sort of "stomps" out our hero. The end. P.S. And we know how strongly they are into these fights because the hair and accessories or pants glow...Really can't wait to see the only genuinely interesting character Reoko, her maniacal laughter is delightful.
danpmss

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:36 pm Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
...Really can't wait to see the only genuinely interesting character Reoko, her maniacal laughter is delightful.

The only reason I'm still curious about this show is her (even if her characterization so far was the most try-hard of them all), especially because the awesome ED kinda tease us about something nice yet to come.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:57 am Reply with quote
I really like how Reoko was in the recent episode. They kept her threatening, but also a crazy badass that sold the moral ambiguity, and paid off her part in the ED and she is the leader of the other villains.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4