• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What did you just buy?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:09 pm Reply with quote
Last purchase of 2015! And it's more manga courtesy of the sale at Barnes and Noble. :p

My haul:
Soul Eater NOT Vol. 5
A Silent Voice Vols. 3-4
Shugo Chara! Vol. 10
Idol Dreams Vol. 1
Kamisama Kiss Vols. 14-17

We might go back in two weeks when my husband gets paid again to pick me up a few more, and maybe get the Resident Evil volumes that he wants for his collection. I do want to complete Shugo Chara!, but the issue is that this store has a copy of Volume 11 with a misaligned cover. I'm meaning that the art on the spine is shifted over and you can see part of it on the front cover. The book itself is still readable - I shifted through it to make sure - but I would just hate the visual look on my shelf.

I have the same issue with my copy of Kamisama Kiss Volume 12 that I bought from TRSI several months back, although it's a bit worse. In this case, it's shifted downward so you see the margin marks and things like the cover art and the Viz logos are all cut off. I plan to replace it eventually because of that reason, but right now... it's at least readable. Razz
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Before my Got Anime membership expires I figured I'd go ahead and make an order of long-desied Right Stuff stuff that never appeared in their holiday sale but do get a decent extra discount with their "in Stock" year end sale.

Kimi ni Todoke: From Me to You Blu-ray/DVD Set 1, Blu-ray/DVD Set 2, Blu-ray/DVD Set 3

Natsume's Book of Friends
Seasons 1-2 Standard Edition DVD, Season 3 Standard Edition Blu-ray/DVD, Season 4 Standard Edition Blu-ray/DVD

Also, apparently my Funimation membership renewed, forgot to change it to sub-only. I don't bother with dubs.

Last edited by Spastic Minnow on Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
One-Eye

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 12:17 am Reply with quote
Well I've been sick like a dog for near 3 weeks now so haven't gotten around to posting much. I guess this would be my first order of 2016:

Full Metal Alchemist CE on Amazon for $138.68 incl/tax. I wanted to buy it when it first came out, then I said no almost $250 for one item is not something I like to put out for anime regularly (and I'd already done that this year), then I said maybe once I saw some prices drop around the $180 range, but I'd already gone over my budget for the year so I said I'll have to pass. Now Amazon dropped the price and I just couldn't resist. 300 page artbooks will do that to me--not postcards or god forbid tattoos (I hate that crap)--along with BD and chipboard box.

Hmmm...my last 3 orders from RightStuf haven't been charged or shipped (I'm sure they are backed up + holiday) I wonder if I should include that in 2015 year end totals then or 2016? Maybe I'll put it in 2016 so I feel less guilty about what I spent in 2015.
zawa113

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 5:20 pm Reply with quote
The comic shop was good to me today (almost as good as my cat is to me)

Blue Exorcist 14
Dragon Ball 3-in1 28-29-30
Heroic Legend of Arslan 4
Kamisama Kiss 20
Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun 1
My Love Story 7
Silent Voice 5
Vinland Saga 7
Die Wergelder 1
World Trigger 8
Yamada-Kun and the Seven Witch 6

My comic shop seems to get a bunch of stuff in and then proceeds to only care about Dark Horse's street dates. They'd maybe put the manga up except 1) there's lots of other things to do in that store, and American comics take priority and 2) there's not a lot of room on the shelf there. My buying of tons of manga still only makes so much room. They go to cons every so often to clear things out, so I try to keep up (usually go there at least once a month) and always go the weekend before a con. Anyway, they seem to get these hauls around the start of the month, so I'll be back in a month to get more, most likely. They don't seem to get things in any certain order though. Kamisama Kiss was way early, but they got their Seven Seas titles way late (which is why I asked for some of them for Xmas instead, so I wouldn't have to wait!)
FYI, therefore, I did contribute to Vinland Saga and therefore it is not my fault.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 8:32 pm Reply with quote
@classicalzawa

Dark Horse is predominately a comic book company that carries a few manga titles. It is also one of the larger of the small companies (that is everyone except Marvel and DC). For instance in the most recent Previews they solicited 57 titles of which only four are manga. Your shop is probably treating them like a significant comic book company and not a manga publisher. I haven't counted, but I'd be surprised if they carried more than a dozen titles a year.

There are a couple of small companies that carry an occasional manga title (Fantagraphics) but most of the companies that publish manga do not sell normal comics.

Under the circumstances, I'm surprised that your shop has continued to carry manga at all. My local shop only carries what people pre-order. The only manga in the shop is a handful of individual volumes people ordered and didn't pick up and a box of comics left over from the late 90s. If I want to check out titles I didn't pre-order I have to go to B&N which has a large selection.

Have you checked out Die Wergelder yet? What do you think of it?
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:17 pm Reply with quote
My husband and I were paid back some money we allowed my brother to borrow, so... we went to buy me some more books. Razz

My haul this time:
The Demon Prince of Momochi House Vols. 1-2
Kamisama Kiss Vols. 18-19
Shugo Chara! Vols. 11-12

After examining the volume even more, I decided to pick up Shugo Chara! Volume 11. At least all of the artwork is intact; it's just pushed over slightly compared to the other spines. Plus, I really just wanted to finally complete and read this series from start to finish.

Now we have no plans to go back until my husband's next payday. By that point, the next volumes of A Silent Voice, The Demon Prince of Momochi House, and Kiss of the Rose Princess should be out, so it'll be the perfect time to get them. Smile Also, around that time Hot Topic's Hot Cash promotion will be in effect, so I'm hoping to get my hands on my missing Steven Universe and the Lucy Heartfilia POP! figures with help from it and my gift card I got for Christmas.
zawa113

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:49 pm Reply with quote
@Alan
I figured it's because Dark Horse mostly do US comics that comic shops should follow their schedules or suffer potential consequences. It's probably why they're the only manga company whose release dates they follow.
But I figure it could also be that Diamond probably just shoves all the Viz, Kodansha, Yen, Seven Seas, and Vertical into a box and goes "yeah, whatever, they'll figure it out", but it's entirely possible that they don't do Dark Horse's distribution, or it's separate from everything else and maybe has a list of release dates with it. That's what I figure maybe. They never seem to care that I just get all the manga I want and go through boxes off to the side, they're probably glad someone buys it. They did say that I'm not the only one who mass buys manga though (and I do notice some volumes missing of non-Shonen Jump series too) so other people are buying manga, but just not as much as regular comics, I'm sure. But dammit, where is my Planetes?! I want to replace my Tokyopop versions!!! They can be a bit random at what they get in, like every other volume of Master Keaton, it would appear.

Also, they do at least one convention a year (in like, Florida or something, which is silly, they friggin run the Baltimore Comic-Con and are clearly near Baltimore, yet they've never done Otakon, guess it's pricer?), and that clears them out for a while.

I haven't gotten to Die Wergelder, haven't been home and awake for too long since buying it, but it'll probably get bumped up high on the list pretty soon (volume 1s tend to, so that and Nozaki-kun). The funny thing is, I went over to my friend's place immediately afterwards and lent her the new Kamisama Kiss, Blue Exorcist, and Arslan. I made her read My Love Story right then and there, because unlike the other three I mentioned (and a ton of other manga I'm currently collecting), I actually manage to both collect and keep up on reading that one. It just seems so rare, there's so many manga I'm collecting, and so few I'm anywhere near caught up on (and even then, I tend to stay caught up til about vol 7, then I get all forgetful, which is what happened with Kamisama Kiss, lol)

I almost find my relation with Vinland Saga funny though. I've bought all 7 volumes (probably all from that comics shop, I believe), yet I haven't actually read a single one. It's on my to-do list, but even I'm highly annoyed at the idea that it might not survive. You can blame me for not reading it yet, but not for not buying it!
One-Eye

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:00 am Reply with quote
Some pics from my last anime haul from RightStuf xmas sale. Picked up some nostalgia anime for me with Ninja Scroll on BD and Black Magic M-66. I've also been looking to pick up Satoshi Kon: The Illusionist book. I'm curious to see what it has to say or if it offers anything different or interesting.

Lastly I picked up Fusé: Memoirs of a Huntress because I wanted another of NISA's big box releases with their artbooks and it was pretty cheap. Not too crazy about the art on the box though. The front is nice enough but the girl looks like she has a giant phallic object between her legs, while the back is done in a different and I would say weaker style.

On the other hand the artbook has some really nice imagery inside and out. It has a very short interview with the director. I wish it had more text or interviews. I would have liked to see them talk about Hakkenden and its place in popular culture a little. But I'm very happy to have the artbook and at the price it was going at I feel I still got a good deal.
st_owly

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:43 am Reply with quote
Picked up Say I Love You 11 and Idol Dreams 1 in town yesterday.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:18 am Reply with quote
@classicalzawa

I'm surprised that your comic shop pays any attention to release dates at all. According to my shop, release date for everything is whenever Diamond ships it. They said that they had to hold a couple of issues over the years that were shipped too soon and Diamond asked that they be held. Otherwise if it is in the store it goes out on the racks that Wednesday. I'm really amused that your shop is concerned about DH street dates as DH has been really bad about meeting those dates. I've had DH manga finally ship as much as a year after it was solicited.

As a comic book company, I'm sure that Dark Horse's primary distributor is Diamond. The other manga companies, not so much. Viz changed their primary distribution to a major book publishing chain back during the manga boom. Kodansha is still handled by Del Ray which is a part of Random House. Yen Press is a part of Little Brown which is in turn part of Hachette a major international publisher. I'm not sure about Seven Seas, probably still Diamond. Because of the above, a lot of manga is released in book stores a week or two before it is shipped by Diamond which would be why your comic shop doesn't worry about street date.

It is possible that your comic shop is more closely associated with Diamond than most. Diamond is headquartered out of Maryland (Previews is published from Hunt Valley Md) and the Geppi family that runs Diamond owns or used to own some comic shops in the Maryland/DC area. That may explain why things seem a bit odd about the place.

Concerning Die Wergelder, there is a reason why it comes wrapped in plastic. Don't let the first chapter put you off. It gets a bit less intense.
OldCharlieStoletheHandle

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:05 am Reply with quote
I forgot to mention previously that I signed up for a premium membership on Crunchyroll back in November when they were offering a free month (instead of the usual 14 days). I switched the billing to yearly to save money and because having it for a whole year will give me a chance to really see if it is worth it (so far it has been).

Last night I signed up for a premium pass on FUNimation; unfortunately it seems they only do monthly billing. I signed up for the top tier even though I usually watch everything subtitled; I may drop to the sub-only tier in the future.

Between the two, I should be able to stream pretty much any show available. So much for cutting down my physical backlog.
st_owly

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:41 pm Reply with quote
@Alan - I think Seven Seas are distributed through MacMillan these days.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:40 pm Reply with quote
@OldCharlieStoletheHandle

I'm on my second year with Funimation and I've always paid a year in advance, it is cheaper that way. Their web site is very hard to navigate, you may have just missed it. I really hope they continue that plan as I really dislike keeping track of monthly charges to my card.

@st_owly

Thanks, that leaves only a couple of small manga providers distributing through Diamond. I guess Diamond gets their stock through the primary distributor and delivers to comic shops at their convenience.
OldCharlieStoletheHandle

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 6:36 pm Reply with quote
@Alan45

Apparently when you take the 14 day free trial it automatically signs you up for monthly billing, and the FUNimation site says PayPal will not accept a change so I had to cancel my subscription and redo it. This resulted in the loss of my free trial, but this time I was offered the yearly option. Considering how easy it was for me to switch to yearly billing on Crunchyroll during my free trial (also paid via PayPal) it's another example of FUNimation's site being wonky. Unfortunately I need both services to be sure I can watch what I want ad-free.

Another weird thing with FUNimation is the android app (I have an android phone and a tablet) is apparently not made by them and there are 2 versions, one costs $9.99 which is absurd. I got the free version; there are pop-up ads on the home screen but once I log in to my account there are no more ads.

Last edited by OldCharlieStoletheHandle on Sun Jan 03, 2016 6:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 6:41 pm Reply with quote
At Funimation I believe the place to change your plan is under Manage aprofile and then "Cancel subscription"- because, ya know, it is apparently only at the point at which you are planning to cancel that they tell you that you that there's a cheaper plan.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 1232 of 1404